Jameson Geers Commits to Gophers!

No one, including me, has argued otherwise. It's also not relevant to the comment.

No one, including me, has argued otherwise. Once again, it's not relevant to the comment.

Once again, it's not a technicality. He was listed as a TE recruit. The information is readily available - you can look it up and everything.

I'm not trying to "prove" anything, merely correcting an incorrect statement. I have no agenda aside from the truth. In actuality, I am countering Burns' agenda of near-constant misinformation in his attempt to prove that everything that Fleck does is the best ever.

You are free to feel that it's silly. My advice would be to ignore it if it bothers you, because I'm never going to stop correcting falsehoods, not for you or anyone else.

Well, that is just not true. You have a need to belittle and rag on those who do not agree exactly with what you pronounce. You do not make your points and move on, you want and need to punish. When your kids get old enough to revolt, they will or will be crushed.

Why would I give it up? I'm undeniably right. I'm supposed to yield when I'm the one who's correct? No, thank you.

I am quite capable of discussing nuance, thanks. There's no ambiguity here - Geers is simply not the "highest rated (247Composite) tight end to commit to Minnesota in the internet era." It's a false statement - pretty black and white. What subtleties about it would you like to discuss? I'm happy to have the conversation.

I learned a long time ago not to get into pissing matches with you. Total waste of time. You are of course right in this case, even though Hageman never played TE for the Gophers in a game he was technically recruited as one, or at least that is what his recruiting profile lists him as.

With you it honestly isn't what you say but the way you say it that rubs people the wrong way a lot of the time. You bring a lot of good things to the board but when you get locked in on things like this....

I learned a long time ago not to get into pissing matches with you. Total waste of time. You are of course right in this case, even though Hageman never played TE for the Gophers in a game he was technically recruited as one, or at least that is what his recruiting profile lists him as.

With you it honestly isn't what you say but the way you say it that rubs people the wrong way a lot of the time. You bring a lot of good things to the board but when you get locked in on things like this....

The part in bold is correct. He was never going to be a TE at the U of MN, but since a recruiting service had him there... He did get some love from the kids mother though on a tweet though. GO DPO

Whole other topic but the Gray era was so weird to me:

Good example of a QB guy who maybe wasn't amazing but you were just sure he could find a place in the NFL and last a long time... but not as a QB.

Like no knocking Marqueis he was plenty good but not lights out amazing in the role he played.

Meanwhile guys you think are pretty amazing at a specific position they play go to the NFL and disappear.

That dynamic is funny.
I would say it's a bit of a Gray area.

Brain McCann, custodian of baseball's unwritten rules, would be proud of all the policing going on in this thread.

McCann_night_terror.gif

Imagine not being able to move on with your life because a journalist actually hyped up the football program that has been essentially irrelevant for 50 years but is now on the precipice of mattering on the national stage.

I mean, personal agendas aside, I feel that part of the problem with the U of M’s sports futility over the years is the deliberate actions by twin cities media to essentially shit on the FB and MBB programs whenever possible. Now that there is actually some media support, we need to reign it back? Okay, I’ll get off your lawn you old codgers

Last edited:

Geers looks like a very solid tight end. Great size and athleticism, appears very natural catching the football out of multiple alignments. Didn’t see much blocking on his highlight tape but from his defensive highlights he looks to be plenty physical so I’m not worried about how good of a blocker he’ll be. Should be a versatile addition to the offense!

Are all the kids in the family named after whiskey? ?

I'm sure there was a better TE in MN that the Gophers just ignored.
I'm sure there was a better TE in MN that the Gophers just ignored.

Contrary to your believe, they have NOT been ignoring TEs from MN. Half of the TE squad are Minnesotans.

86Clayton WitherspoonTE6-4255R-So.Eden Prairie, Minn. / Eden Prairie
87Nick KallerupTE6-5260Fr.Wayzata, Minn. / Wayzata
88Brevyn Spann-FordTE6-7270R-Fr.St. Cloud, Minn. / St. Cloud Technical Senior

2020 PWO Commitment:
Wyatt Schroeder
- Saint Francis (Saint Francis, MN)
Tight End, Ht 6 5, Wt 220, 0.7898, Signed LOI 12/18/2019
www.hudl.com

Wyatt Schroeder on Hudl
Watch Wyatt Schroeder's videos and check out their recent activity on Hudl
www.hudl.com
www.hudl.com

2021 MN TEs: Too early

2020 MN TEs: https://247sports.com/Season/2020-F...r.Hometown.State.Key=sa_28&Position.Key=po_15
Wyatt Schroeder - PWO

2019 MN TEs:
https://247sports.com/Season/2019-F...r.Hometown.State.Key=sa_28&Position.Key=po_15
Nick Kallerup

2018 MN TEs:
https://247sports.com/Season/2018-F...r.Hometown.State.Key=sa_28&Position.Key=po_15
Max Janes and Brevyn Spann-Ford. Janes was dismissed from the team: https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/...-max-jones-after-learning-of-assault-charges/

2017 MN TEs: https://247sports.com/Season/2017-F...r.Hometown.State.Key=sa_28&Position.Key=po_15
PJ Fleck just became head coach. He missed out on Noah Gondorf (January 2017 committed to NDSU) and Powers Warren (early Mississippi State commitment).

BTW, I don't care if the Gophers go to Timbuktu to find the best players available based on evaluations. If they get a MN kid, that is a big bonus. They are not ignoring instate kids.

The Gophers got 11 MN players (scholies & PWOs) in the 2019 Class: WR Jimmy Buck - Orono MN, WR Peter Udoibok (Maroon shirt)- St. Paul MN, WR Larry Wright - Apple Valley MN, TE Nick Kallerup - Wayzata MN, RB Jason Williamson - Owatona MN, QB Cole Kramer - Eden Prairie MN, OL Cody Smith - Eagan MN, DL Ben McNaboe - Rogers MN, DL Logan Richter - Perham MN, DN Caden Fry - Eden Prairie MN, and DB Matt Guggemos - Eden Prairie MN.

PJ Fleck did not beg 2019 prospects Bryce Benhart and Quinn Carroll to commit to the Gophers. They did not want to be Gophers. So, he moved on and instead got 6' 7" 315-lb OT JJ Guedet from IL, PWO commit 6' 4" 290-lb OT Cody Smith from Eagan MN, and they Maroon-shirted 6' 5" 310-lb OT Tyler Cooper from Saint Croix Falls WI.

Cody Smith - Eagan, Mn (Eagan)
Offensive Tackle, Ht 6 4, Wt 290, Committed 12/15/2018
https://www.hudl.com/profile/5603057/Cody-Smith

BTW, I don't care if the Gophers go to Timbuktu to find the best players available based on evaluations. If they get a MN kid, that is a big bonus. They are not ignoring instate kids.

The Gophers got 11 MN players (scholies & PWOs) in the 2019 Class: WR Jimmy Buck - Orono MN, WR Peter Udoibok (Maroon shirt)- St. Paul MN, WR Larry Wright - Apple Valley MN, TE Nick Kallerup - Wayzata MN, RB Jason Williamson - Owatona MN, QB Cole Kramer - Eden Prairie MN, OL Cody Smith - Eagan MN, DL Ben McNaboe - Rogers MN, DL Logan Richter - Perham MN, DN Caden Fry - Eden Prairie MN, and DB Matt Guggemos - Eden Prairie MN.

PJ Fleck did not beg 2019 prospects Bryce Benhart and Quinn Carroll to commit to the Gophers. They did not want to be Gophers. So, he moved on and instead got 6' 7" 315-lb OT JJ Guedet from IL, PWO commit 6' 4" 290-lb OT Cody Smith from Eagan MN, and they Maroon-shirted 6' 5" 310-lb OT Tyler Cooper from Saint Croix Falls WI.

He made it very clear - - TommyBoy wants them all signed. ALL. OF. THEM. He seems a little luke warm on the noodle-armed QB from Totino, but other than that kid, he wants them all signed.

There are probably like 1000 HS's in MN with a football team. Let's say they average 8 seniors on that team. That's 8,000 seniors and Fleck only signed 11 of them. That's ONLY .1%.

I was just picking on Tommyboy

dpodoll is both correct and arguing a stupid technicality.

Yes, Burns was wrong and likely knew it because his business does better when he hypes up the current Gophers product. He is like a real estate agent engaging in puffery.

Let's put it to rest and get back to Jameson Geers. I am thrilled we got him, and I am curious to see how we start to use the TE differently this year. It sounds like his mom has confidence that we will -- which means we must have promised her things will change post-Ciarocca. Do we think that Brevyn Spann-Ford's role increases this year? Jake Paulsen and Bryce Witham are blocking TE's that we can very occasionally surprise a defense with by throwing a little pop pass to.

Not disagreeing(!), but I think Witham is actually a decent receiver. We just didn’t scheme to throw to tight ends. We used them as blockers. Maybe Witham isn’t the blocker that Paulson is, but he can catch and run (Spring game, 2019). Hope he gets a chance to show it in 2020 season, his last.

Not disagreeing(!), but I think Witham is actually a decent receiver. We just didn’t scheme to throw to tight ends. We used them as blockers. Maybe Witham isn’t the blocker that Paulson is, but he can catch and run (Spring game, 2019). Hope he gets a chance to show it in 2020 season, his last.

That's good to hear. I'm mostly going off his lack of production (5 total catches). Obviously he had two huge catches in the bowl game. I didn't realize that he actually got a 6th year of eligibility. For some reason I thought he was one of the Western Michigan flips that followed PJ.

I was surprised to see he had two catches for 62 yards against Ohio State in 2018, so I looked them up. The first catch was a reverse flea flicker and he ran a bit. He looked like he had decent speed for a TE (). The second pass he caught in stride off play action and got a few extra yards when he was tackled ().

^

Witham does have very good speed. 247 has him down for a 4.7 40 in high school, which likely means he’s our fastest TE by a decent margin. I’ve watched his HS highlights. He’s a good athlete.

^

Witham does have very good speed. 247 has him down for a 4.7 40 in high school, which likely means he’s our fastest TE by a decent margin. I’ve watched his HS highlights. He’s a good athlete.

I believe Witham is the best athlete in the TE room. Certainly the fastest. Goods hands. Probably not the top blocker (Kieft and Paulson). If we decide to include TEs in the passing game, I think Witham might see the field ... unless he moves on or is “moved on.” It will be his 6th year!

Last edited:

I believe Witham is the best athlete in the TE room. Certainly the fastest. Goods hands. Probably not the top blocker (Kieft and Paulson). If we decide to include TEs in the passing game, I think Witham might see the field ... unless he moves on or is “moved on.” It will be his 6th year!
We got a room?

Top Bottom