Jameson Geers Commits to Gophers!

I agree. Situation is simple. We just got a highly-coveted commit. We should be excited and congratulatory to this young man. Instead, we immediately go down the path of picking apart a Burns tweet and its possible inaccuracies. Who gives a bleep whether a highly-rated recruit from ten years ago played tight end or not? We got a good player. Highly-rated. Seems like that should be the focal point of the story.

Another situation is also simple. Potential posters on this board are driven away by the constant personal attacks, negativity, and just unnecessary argumentative rudeness. Stay with it possumlad! Glad you are here.

I agree with your sentiment but the crap you are getting frustrated with is found all over the internet anywhere people are allowed to voice their opinions. Just have to ignore the BS and focus on the stuff that actual pertains to the topic.

I agree with your sentiment but the crap you are getting frustrated with is found all over the internet anywhere people are allowed to voice their opinions. Just have to ignore the BS and focus on the stuff that actual pertains to the topic.

Yes, you are correct. Difficult for me sometimes. Point taken. Guess I still believe in a bit of civility and decency, even on message boards. Gotta figure out that ignore feature...

Last edited:

How are you still allowed to post on this--or any other--message board? My sign-up was "pending" for like a week - I assumed that process was to weed out posters like you.

dpod has a constant need to attack people. He's not happy unless he is pissed about something or everything. Welcome to the club.

dpod has a constant need to attack people. He's not happy unless he is pissed about something or everything. Welcome to the club.
Now, if only he complained about important stuff like folks standing at a big Football game - now that would be OK.

I do agree he is getting too worked up about what RB said tho. Seems like coach speak to me. #RTB

Your comment makes literally no sense. Whenever someone corrects an error I make, I always say something to the effect of "thanks for the correction." I dare you to find something different - I'll be waiting.

I get that you like to follow me around sniffing my taint, but it would be nice if your obsessive comments at least made sense, Glenn Close.
Still clinging to "Devin Eastern isn't more than 6'3""?

Yes, you are correct. Difficult for me sometimes. Point taken. Guess I still believe in a bit of civility and decency, even on message boards. Gotta figure out that ignore feature...

Believe me, I struggle with the bickering and petty arguments as well. It was especially bad after Claeys was let go and Fleck was hired. Every single thread, regardless of the topic turned into a pissing match about the coaches. Still happens but not as much after an 11-2 season. Makes it tough to pine for the past when the future looks really promising.

Never want to get too excited about a recruit until they actually sign and get to campus but Geers looks like a really nice pickup. 2021 class as a whole is off to a nice start and will get even better if the Green brothers commit the way most expect them to.

No, Burns isn't right, because your phrase ("highest rated that will actually play TE"), while accurate, isn't what he said.
You must be single or sleep on the couch a lot. Just because it doesn't work at home doesn't mean you should bring it to GH.

And then they will both be wrong.

Huh? No, I am right and will continue to be right.
You must be single or sleep on the couch a lot. Just because it doesn't work at home doesn't mean you should bring it to GH.
No, I'm happily married and get along with my wife and kids wonderfully. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but I do appreciate the personal insults to me and my family - thank you.

Yes, he absolutely did play TE. See the video below for evidence. More relevant to the topic at hand, he was listed as a TE recruit, making Burns' statement false. It's not a "technicality," it's a blatantly wrong and false statement.

He never played TE for the gophers, he was quickly converted to DL, so most Gopher fans would consider him a DL. You're arguing a stupid technicality, either to push stupid agenda or to prove you're "smarter" than everyone. Either way it's just silly

Well Bob, can you give a post or two that might be considered number 1? A guy was trying to be positive about it and another poster supported him. I would enjoy seeing something that many of us perhaps had missed due to all the sludge that occurred on this thread.

It was a joke. A person was complaining about the useless fighting on the board. The next person said "Post of the day" and I picked a useless fight.

He never played TE for the gophers, he was quickly converted to DL, so most Gopher fans would consider him a DL. You're arguing a stupid technicality, either to push stupid agenda or to prove you're "smarter" than everyone. Either way it's just silly

There is no point in arguing with him, when DPO locks onto something like this he won't give it up. Just confim he is right in his statement and move on. Trying to reason with him or look at something from any other angle is just a waste of time as he is only sees things in black and white.

This kids tape is pretty damn impressive. The kid we signed last year looked impressive as well. Even though a lot of his tape is in the spread, he feels more like a traditional TE.

I'm not trying to open up this can of worms again, but it'll be interesting to see how the TEs are utilized this year.

6-5 225, lets hope they use him as pass receiving TE. Let's not put 35 lbs on him and turn him into just a blocking TE. Our offense would be just that much better with 4-5 passes to a TE every game.

He never played TE for the gophers

No one, including me, has argued otherwise. It's also not relevant to the comment.

he was quickly converted to DL, so most Gopher fans would consider him a DL.

No one, including me, has argued otherwise. Once again, it's not relevant to the comment.

You're arguing a stupid technicality, either to push stupid agenda or to prove you're "smarter" than everyone. Either way it's just silly

Once again, it's not a technicality. He was listed as a TE recruit. The information is readily available - you can look it up and everything.

I'm not trying to "prove" anything, merely correcting an incorrect statement. I have no agenda aside from the truth. In actuality, I am countering Burns' agenda of near-constant misinformation in his attempt to prove that everything that Fleck does is the best ever.

You are free to feel that it's silly. My advice would be to ignore it if it bothers you, because I'm never going to stop correcting falsehoods, not for you or anyone else.

6-5 225, lets hope they use him as pass receiving TE. Let's not put 35 lbs on him and turn him into just a blocking TE. Our offense would be just that much better with 4-5 passes to a TE every game.

They are going to put 30 lbs on him. . . absolutely.

He is not fast enough to play WR. Even pass catching TEs (Freiermuth) need to be around 250-260. I think that is where we will see him end up.

Frankly, if you sign a 6'5" 225 lbs 16 year old, you should graduate a pretty large human being.

There is no point in arguing with him, when DPO locks onto something like this he won't give it up. Just confim he is right in his statement and move on. Trying to reason with him or look at something from any other angle is just a waste of time as he is only sees things in black and white.
Why would I give it up? I'm undeniably right. I'm supposed to yield when I'm the one who's correct? No, thank you.

I am quite capable of discussing nuance, thanks. There's no ambiguity here - Geers is simply not the "highest rated (247Composite) tight end to commit to Minnesota in the internet era." It's a false statement - pretty black and white. What subtleties about it would you like to discuss? I'm happy to have the conversation.

dpodoll is both correct and arguing a stupid technicality.

Yes, Burns was wrong and likely knew it because his business does better when he hypes up the current Gophers product. He is like a real estate agent engaging in puffery.

Let's put it to rest and get back to Jameson Geers. I am thrilled we got him, and I am curious to see how we start to use the TE differently this year. It sounds like his mom has confidence that we will -- which means we must have promised her things will change post-Ciarocca. Do we think that Brevyn Spann-Ford's role increases this year? Jake Paulsen and Bryce Witham are blocking TE's that we can very occasionally surprise a defense with by throwing a little pop pass to.

dpodoll is both correct and arguing a stupid technicality.

Yes, Burns was wrong and likely knew it because his business does better when he hypes up the current Gophers product. He is like a real estate agent engaging in puffery.

Let's put it to rest and get back to Jameson Geers. I am thrilled we got him, and I am curious to see how we start to use the TE differently this year. It sounds like his mom has confidence that we will -- which means we must have promised her things will change post-Ciarocca. Do we think that Brevyn Spann-Ford's role increases this year? Jake Paulsen and Bryce Witham are blocking TE's that we can very occasionally surprise a defense with by throwing a little pop pass to.

I really liked our offense last year and I think we perfectly built an offense around that personnel. That said, I am not sure if we will ever have a pair of WRs like that again (I have all the trust in PJ to recruit and coach them, but c'mon). I think max protection passing makes so much sense.

All of that said, I don't get the sense that PJ/Simon are the kinds of people to not adjust. So, I think we will likely see a little more passing to our TEs this year, but I wouldn't expect our offense to look like Iowa's or WI's. Obviously, I could be wrong.

No one, including me, has argued otherwise. It's also not relevant to the comment.

No one, including me, has argued otherwise. Once again, it's not relevant to the comment.

Once again, it's not a technicality. He was listed as a TE recruit. The information is readily available - you can look it up and everything.

I'm not trying to "prove" anything, merely correcting an incorrect statement. I have no agenda aside from the truth. In actuality, I am countering Burns' agenda of near-constant misinformation in his attempt to prove that everything that Fleck does is the best ever.

You are free to feel that it's silly. My advice would be to ignore it if it bothers you, because I'm never going to stop correcting falsehoods, not for you or anyone else.

This is just way too much angst about a good crooting pickup not being described exactly as you would describe him ... because some guy who didn't contribute at that position in college also played that position in high school...

Perhaps most telling is that most folk who upon hearing the amazing facts you're arguing about ... still understand what the tweet meant and don't think it was wrong or confusing ... or anything bad about it.

In this thread you act like if you heard someone say "oh man it's freezing outside" you'd get argumentative about their falsehoods because it is actually 36 degrees ... don't be that way man.

Last edited:

I really liked our offense last year and I think we perfectly built an offense around that personnel. That said, I am not sure if we will ever have a pair of WRs like that again (I have all the trust in PJ to recruit and coach them, but c'mon). I think max protection passing makes so much sense.

All of that said, I don't get the sense that PJ/Simon are the kinds of people to not adjust. So, I think we will likely see a little more passing to our TEs this year, but I wouldn't expect our offense to look like Iowa's or WI's. Obviously, I could be wrong.

I looked up the stats of Utah St and Western Kentucky for the seasons Sanford was there. They threw to the TEs a lot. Not so much at Notre Dame, though.

This will be my last post on subject. Any logical person can see the leap Burns took since Hagemen never played TE for the gophers as he was converted to originally I believe DE, and eventually DT almost right away. It's not nearly as outlandish claim as you're making it out to be. And yes, you're arguing a technicality. Hagemant was TE in HS and TE recruit, but never played TE. Greers is expected to play TE. Maybe he's converted his first camp too. In end, it doesn't really matter, but as Burns said, fine, Highest rated TE commit that is expected to play TE for the gophers. I'm sure you'd quibble with that because you'd probably argue no one could've known Hagemen wasn't expected to play TE and Greers so far hasn't played TE, so still not correct

1580483979703.png

Marqueis Gray ended up playing tight end in the NFL. Wouldn't he be our highest rated tight end ever? ?

Whole other topic but the Gray era was so weird to me:

Good example of a QB guy who maybe wasn't amazing but you were just sure he could find a place in the NFL and last a long time... but not as a QB.

Like no knocking Marqueis he was plenty good but not lights out amazing in the role he played.

Meanwhile guys you think are pretty amazing at a specific position they play go to the NFL and disappear.

That dynamic is funny.

Top Bottom