James Farrow Leaving Va Tech

gophergrad

Reaction score
Per tweet from Allen Trieu, Farrow has been granted his release and will look to transfer.

Come on home James!

Would he have to sit out a year even though he red-shirted last year?

Yep, he'd have to sit out a season and he'd be a RS-SO in 2014 before he was eligible to play.

I'd be interested in Farrow.

I bet we have a legitimate shot. After last year's signing day, Kill made a reference to a player that he could have turned, but didn't in order not to burn bridges with a coach. Many people thought he was referring to Farrow.

And don't we conveniently have a scholly available? Or did that get filled. I've been out of the loop for a while.

If he came for this upcoming season there would be an open scholly for him I believe. We couldn't sign another frosh but I think a D1 transfer is different but I may be wrong

With 3 years of eligibility I think it would be worth it.

That being said, Minnesota has been producing some pretty good CBs over the past couple of years.

2011 - James Farrow
2012 - Charles Webb
2013 - Keelon Brookins

Does anyone remember his back story? I'm a bit fuzzy, Brewster told him to take a hike after he went on some visits or camps or something?

Does anyone remember his back story? I'm a bit fuzzy, Brewster told him to take a hike after he went on some visits or camps or something?

The first rumor was that his grades weren't good enough. This was silly on the surface, as offers don't get pulled for grades months before signing day. It was eventually further invalidated when he was admitted into Virginia Tech, a school on par with Minnesota academically.

After that rumor was thoroughly debunked, the next rumor was that Brewster didn't like him looking around and pulled his offer because of it. If true (doubtful), it would've been really stupid of Brewster to do so. When you're at Minnesota's level, you're in no position to be dictating terms to anyone.

Who knows what the real story is? Very few people actually know, and I'm guessing none of them are talking, and certainly not on GH.

Thanks Dpo, all of those things had kind muddled together somewhere in the back of my head.

If he truly wants to transfer, and can't get a release, He could go to a JUCO for a year on scholarship, and then transfer with 3yrs eligibility remaining.

If he truly wants to transfer, and can't get a release, He could go to a JUCO for a year on scholarship, and then transfer with 3yrs eligibility remaining.
We have no idea if he can play or why he is leaving. We don't really have any idea what the blow up was with Brewster's staff, other than we know whatever the Recruiting Coordinator was saying "off record" was unethical even if true, but probably was self-serving BS to cover up blowing the realtionship.
I hope he does whatever works for him. Beamer is a great defensive coach and they over achieve versus their recruiting rankings consistently (or maybe they do the impossible, they actually recognize talent that fits their system better than recruiting services do).

That's probably the best way to do it.

farrow and grades

the reason why people speculate about him having poor grades because he was suspended for his first game of his senior year due to him changing grades on a teachers computer for his benefit.

Farrow can play. I thought he was real good in HS. His dad is a Gopher. By most Va Tech fans guess, they expected him to get some PT next season. Despite, what some people think, getting PT as a RS FR, especially at a school like VT is impressive.

My hunch is that he's homesick. He seemed to love MN before all the drama happened with him and Brewster. He really seemed like a "Phil Nelson type" in that he was always talking up how perfect MN was for him. His dad is an alum. For him, he might want to go the JuCo route for a year, but if he wants to come to the U, i'd love for him to sign and enroll ASAP. I'd rather have him sit out a year here, be in our conditioning system and learning our playbook.

Farrow can play. I thought he was real good in HS. His dad is a Gopher. By most Va Tech fans guess, they expected him to get some PT next season. Despite, what some people think, getting PT as a RS FR, especially at a school like VT is impressive.

My hunch is that he's homesick. He seemed to love MN before all the drama happened with him and Brewster. He really seemed like a "Phil Nelson type" in that he was always talking up how perfect MN was for him. His dad is an alum. For him, he might want to go the JuCo route for a year, but if he wants to come to the U, i'd love for him to sign and enroll ASAP. I'd rather have him sit out a year here, be in our conditioning system and learning our playbook.

Given the number of players both in BB and FB the Gophers have lost due to wanting to be closer to home, it is refreshing to see it work in reverse.

That's probably the best way to do it.

I disagree. Why go juco when you learn nothing of the system or how Coach Kill wants you to train? Plus there is always the chance he could change his mind and go someplace else.

If you are going to waste a year of eligibility it might as well be on the scout team and in the weight room at the U.

I disagree. Why go juco when you learn nothing of the system or how Coach Kill wants you to train? Plus there is always the chance he could change his mind and go someplace else.

If you are going to waste a year of eligibility it might as well be on the scout team and in the weight room at the U.
If he isn't granted his release he can't recieve a scholarship for a year from a FBS school. I belive the estimated cost of attendance at the U is about 19K a year. My daughter has a ROTC sholarship so I only pay attention when we do the Federal paperwork.

Top Bottom