Jamal Mashburn Jr. has entered the transfer portal, sources told ESPN.

Fine with him leaving. Have to play better defense if you're going to be a starter for any team that's going to win consistently
He was a freshman who didn't play a whole lot early in the season and in a brutal conference. He did not lack "want to." He will learn.

I simply cannot believe the takes on display here.

He was a freshman who didn't play a whole lot early in the season and in a brutal conference. He did not lack "want to." He will learn.

I simply cannot believe the takes on display here.
He played double digit minutes in every game but one in a setting where you had a guard who was your leader (Carr) and the other guard who was your glue defender and supposed 3 pt shooter (Gabe) plus an upper classman who was supposed to be a contributor (Gach). IMO, he played quite a bit for a freshman, showed some offensive flashes. His defense and efficiency rating (worse than Carr FR year, worse than Gabe FR year aren't good. I hope he gets better for his sake and because he's fun to watch , but do I think it ends our chances of having a good season that he left, no. What worries me of his game is that plenty of guys can score 10-15 if they shoot 15-20 times a game. Unless that gets far better and he can play in a non ball dominant role, that doesn't work well. And to me, defense is non-negotiable. He gets lost far too often (which very very well may just be on Pitino) and that worries me. Different strokes for different folks but it's not the end of the world to me he left in a year when the transfer market will be utter insanity.

The one thing that's more evident now than any other time in college basketball is you don't make your decisions for your program based off one or two recruits.

Instead you build a vision of what your want your program to be. You market it and brand it and bring in the people to execute your vision.
Players are a small piece of that.

There will be other PGs in the portal for our new coach to pluck.
He could still stay at Minny.
No reason to panic.

Yet.

Besides, it’s not like he’s Bobby freaking Hurley.

Or Aaron Craft.
Magic Johnson
Kemba Walker
Khalid El-Amin

or even McKinley Wright.

The players would be stupid to not put their name in the portal this year. It is free year and you have to keep your options open. Many rosters will look like musical chairs, but that doesn't mean that every player will leave.
yup...but in the same sense once they enter the portal in some cases the teams they are leaving will fill there spot...there will be some kids left out of a chair when this is all said and done.

yup...but in the same sense once they enter the portal in some cases the teams they are leaving will fill there spot...there will be some kids left out of a chair when this is all said and done.
There will be a spot somewhere, even Isiah Washington found a landing.

There will be a spot somewhere, even Isiah Washington found a landing.
maybe i should have said a chair at a place that is maybe less then what they were hoping for...

Fine with him leaving. Have to play better defense if you're going to be a starter for any team that's going to win consistently

How many games did you watch? His defense improved toward the end of the season and he showed flashes of being a very good scorer too. Mashburn isn't going to make or break the program by himself, but if he ends up leaving, it is absolutely a very unfortunate loss. I really hope he reconsiders once the new coach is hired.

Bummer. Not surprising but I hoped he would at least wait and see who the new coach is.
This doesn't mean he isn't waiting. He can enter and still come back. I like what he is doing. Get in there, see what opportunities there are and hopefully weigh them against the new coach here. If not, best of luck to Mini-Mash.

I thought he was good, and really cant ever recall cringing when he shot the ball, which is more than can be said for some others. He was fairly crafty with penetrating the lane and pull up jumpers.

There is the possibility he would have left even with Pitino staying. The team fell apart at the end of the year. Just about everyone else decent is gone. Would he have stayed just for Pitino?

Yeah we had turnover under Pitino anyways. It’s tough to get upset when we didn’t know who was actually staying to begin with. New coach will run a new system and smash may not have fit anyways. 2022 is loaded and it’ll be nice to have PT to offer

The one thing that's more evident now than any other time in college basketball is you don't make your decisions for your program based off one or two recruits.

Instead you build a vision of what your want your program to be. You market it and brand it and bring in the people to execute your vision.
Players are a small piece of that.
You’d think people would be smart enough to realize this. Very few times has one guy been worth a national title?

maybe Carmelo Anthony is the closest thing to it?

At this point it makes sense for gopher players to enter the portal. They get their names out to interested coaches while waiting to see who the new coach is and if they fit into the new coach's system.
Is there a downside to this? For example, player A enters the portal and when the new coach comes in does the coach have to accept them back into the program? Or can they say tough shit, your spot isn't here any longer.

I understand there could be PR, negative recruiting associated with doing this. But curious if a coach could do it.

Disappointed he's probably gone, but I'm also not sure why there is really any handwringing over this ... in the last 8 games with extended playing time he proved to be a high volume shooter, not a great shooter (34 of 83 on 2's 40.9% .... 9 of 33 on 3's 27.2%) ... he was aggressive but not efficient.

Once teams game planned for him on defense it was easy to see it unfold. Guy with ball being guarded by him would attack resulting in getting to the basket to score or kick to open player due to help-side engaging at the rim. He was better in the OSU tournament game, but they still took advantage of his D.

There will be plenty of options that can produce those same offense numbers with significantly better defense.

Is there a downside to this? For example, player A enters the portal and when the new coach comes in does the coach have to accept them back into the program? Or can they say tough shit, your spot isn't here any longer.

I understand there could be PR, negative recruiting associated with doing this. But curious if a coach could do it.
I mean, I might do it to Jarvis Omersa

I believe if they enter the portal they are essentially putting their scholarship at the current school up for grabs, but I could be wrong. New coach does not have to bring back a player that entered the portal.

I believe if they enter the portal they are essentially putting their scholarship at the current school up for grabs, but I could be wrong. New coach does not have to bring back a player that entered the portal.
Probably a case by case. If a player fits the coaches system, then he'll be welcome back. If he doesn't, then say goodbye to the scholarship to that particular player.

Skimming through this thread and I was able to infer that Mashburn is both massively overrated and underrated.

Shame to lose him. Valuable piece especially with the current state of the roster. Lots of potential. Definitely flawed. Hopefully he does well wherever he goes.

Guess every action has a potential negative reaction.

I am not sure this means he is definite about leaving MN. I think he is just looking at his the options: other schools who might be interested, and who the new coach will be at the U. Hopefully that new coach will have an opportunity to recruit Mashburn.

I'm torn on how good he was going to be. He was aggressive which is great, but I didnt see any point guard skills from him, which is needed given his height. I'm all for undersized 2s at the college level if they are dynamic enough

I absolutely agree with you. His confidence and aggressiveness were his primary attributes and I did like his pull up midrange jumper move. I also didn't see much in the way of point guard skills, or more importantly, a point guard mind frame. He wasn't the type of player looking to set up plays and set others up. Mostly he was looking for a screen so he could drive. As far as a pure point guard, I thought Isaiah Washington was far better. He also had a player efficiency rating of 9.3 and a True Shooting Percentage of .441 for the year. Both of those are pretty poor even for a freshman. Finally, he wasn't a good defender.

Did I do a good enough job trashing the guy who left?

I did want him to stay because I didn't want the new coach to have to bring in two point guards but we're up to 599 transfers on Verbal Commits right now and I could easily see 1,000 or more by the time we're through so the new coach's chances aren't so bad.

I wish everyone success.
People should chase their dreams and make their own choices.
I like Pitino. Wish him well.
Life's too short to hold grudges.
Pitino's success and Minnesota's success aren't mutually exclusive.

New coach will want his own players anyway, and with transfer portal, it's less of an issue than ever before.

Those are genuinely good and decent sentiments but I hope you will excuse me if I hope to have a little shadenfreude at Pitino's expense. I watched religiously during his five disappointing to miserable seasons and suffered accordingly. I figured I'm entitled to a little entertainment from watching him fall on his face when he's somebody else's problem.

Top Bottom