Ivy League Cancels Tournament, Yale Gets Automatic Bid

This is going overboard. If they are that concerned, they could play the game in an empty arena, like they did in the MAAC in 1989.

This is going overboard. If they are that concerned, they could play the game in an empty arena, like they did in the MAAC in 1989.

Yep, at the very least that's what they should do for the kids from Harvard, Penn, and Princeton.

Ridiculous decision. The fear-mongering has reached epic, beyond belief proportions.

Wait a second, isn't the Ivy League the only conf that gives its auto-bid to the regular season champ, anyway?

So their tourny is kind've a moot point, then right?

Seems like so far, only the people with little to nothing to lose, are the ones cancelling things.

Wait a second, isn't the Ivy League the only conf that gives its auto-bid to the regular season champ, anyway?

So their tourny is kind've a moot point, then right?

Seems like so far, only the people with little to nothing to lose, are the ones cancelling things.

No, they started awarding their NCAA bid with via the Ivy League Tournament in 2017. Top 4 teams make the field. Bottom 4 stay home and feel shame.

No, they started awarding their NCAA bid with via the Ivy League Tournament in 2017. Top 4 teams make the field. Bottom 4 stay home and feel shame.

Not allowed in the Ivy. They are the best of the best in all categories.

San Diego State has just declared that all classes will now be online and there will be no admission to any sports contests. Why? Because one human in San Diego has now been confirmed to have Covid19. Talk about over reaction. My goodness, for 97% of humanity this is just a chest cold from which you recover in 10 days. If you have a low immune system, take precautions, but the vast majority of people...live your normal life... it's gonna be fine.

OK.

But, they did give it to the regular season champ for a long time. So for them, it's an easy thing to slide back to.

Let me know when a conference of consequence cancels their tourny.

My goodness, for 97% of humanity this is just a chest cold from which you recover in 10 days. If you have a low immune system, take precautions, but the vast majority of people...live your normal life... it's gonna be fine.
I truly hope this ends up being the case.

However, the very first case of COVID-19 in the US (in Washington State) was a 35-year-old man. He developed severe pneumonia and might've died. He was given the experimental drug that is now under trial in Nebraska (and Asia), and had a very strong recovery shortly after.

However, the very first case of COVID-19 in the US (in Washington State) was a 35-year-old man. He developed severe pneumonia and might've died. He was given the experimental drug that is now under trial in Nebraska (and Asia), and had a very strong recovery shortly after.
There will always be outliers. We can't let the outliers determine our own behavior. For most people, they recover just fine in 10 days.
I refuse to live in fear.

For most people, they recover just fine in 10 days.
Says who??

That's what you believe, and perhaps you're (politically) biased to want to believe people saying this.

Like I said, hope it ends up being true. But data does not support this so far.

All that said ...

I think it is silly to be cancelling sporting events, etc., at this time. I don't think we're there yet.

Holy crap! I agree that this is an overreaction. More importantly, it's a last-minute rule change that should only be contemplated in the case of an actual emergency.

One way or another, the Corona joke is in poor taste.

"On average the disease lasts two weeks. The WHO reports that “the median time from onset to clinical recovery for mild cases is approximately 2 weeks.”17

Again this is based on the 55,924 confirmed cases in China"

I heard they were cancelling the B1G tournament and deciding the winner through an NBA lottery type system!

The Gophers Ball defied the odds and came out!!! Gophers make the tournament!!!

20K to52K flu deaths(according to CDC) 30M to80M cases of the flu(CDC) and very little comment. Yes the Cvirus is over hyped. Don't say I'm not allowed to be cavalier--I'm 80 years old with respiratory problems

Ohio state just canceled all face to face classes. Labs are being evaluated.

20K to52K flu deaths(according to CDC) 30M to80M cases of the flu(CDC) and very little comment. Yes the Cvirus is over hyped. Don't say I'm not allowed to be cavalier--I'm 80 years old with respiratory problems
Sorry Hail my wife works in healthcare, lots of doctors think it’s actually being under hyped.

"On average the disease lasts two weeks. The WHO reports that “the median time from onset to clinical recovery for mild cases is approximately 2 weeks.”17
??? I wasn't questioning the time it takes to recover, for people who do recover.

I was questioning your claim of "most people".

I could say "most people" recover from the flu. But this isn't the flu. It's worse than the flu, with the potential to be much worse, depending on how seriously we take it here in the country.

Sorry Hail my wife works in healthcare, lots of doctors think it’s actually being under hyped.
??? I wasn't questioning the time it takes to recover, for people who do recover.

I was questioning your claim of "most people".

I could say "most people" recover from the flu. But this isn't the flu. It's worse than the flu, with the potential to be much worse, depending on how seriously we take it here in the country.
I also have family and friends in the health industry. There is no perfect agreement about the degree of panic that is necessary. When we have over 10K deaths and 10-15M cases, then we can begin to think about panicking

We live in a highly litigious society, so if one or ten or 15,000 contract the virus from a sporting event, and someone dies? Jesus, I can only imagine the lawsuits that would come flying out of that and the payouts required to cover the settlements or judgments. Can't say I blame some of these institutions for trying to proactively cover their asses.

We live in a highly litigious society, so if one or ten or 15,000 contract the virus from a sporting event, and someone dies? Jesus, I can only imagine the lawsuits that would come flying out of that and the payouts required to cover the settlements or judgments. Can't say I blame some of these institutions for trying to proactively cover their asses.

That's exactly what they are doing. In their defense, modern technology makes it much easier to improvise if you shut down physically and so not as much a burden as it was in bygone days.

At what point do those who are particularly vulnerable need to take responsibility for where they go what they do? I work with people with compromised immune systems all the time, and they make the decision to stay out of crowds, etc. I'm having a hard time seeing the difference here.

Now I am off to contingency planning for contagious illnesses.

It's hard not to conclude that they're doing this to avoid the expense of putting the tournament on without the revenue from ticket sales.

I am just waiting for the NCAA Tourney to be the next domino to fall,
It's hard not to conclude that they're doing this to avoid the expense of putting the tournament on without the revenue from ticket sales.

I would bet they lost far more in TV revenue (or will have have to give back or provide make good) than they Ivy League would have got for the ticket sales. Also these schools are sitting on billions of endowment funds. I'd say the expense of putting on the tournament was of little to no concern.

Top Bottom