It's Official - The Big Ten has postponed its fall football season

Nebraska was a AAU member when they joined I believe.
They were AAU when invited to join B1G. Some say Texas was behind their ouster. But I guess because they don't have a real campus run affiliated medical school (It's in Omaha) they didn't have research university chops for AAU membership. I believe it is B1G policy to only accept AAU universities. Of course rules can be changed. Notre Dame being in the B1G hockey is one example.

Nebraska has different priorities and is not a proper fit in the Big 10. As impossible as it is, I wish for them to leave the conference.
Are you saying that they're
download.jpg

How about a late spring 2021 Rose Bowl game featuring B1G & PAC12 champs?

Next question - will the Gophers pursue a new schedule like Nebraska, Iowa, Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan are doing?
I doubt that will happen for those schools either. Maybe Nebraska is stubborn enough. Mostly sabre rattling.

The only reason they are pretending like their will be a spring season is to reduce breakage.
It was now or never.
IMO there's a much better chance of a Spring Season than rogue programs making their own Fall schedules.

One thing you can always count on is that someone will be willing to sue and there will be a lawyer out there willing to take the case.
They won't win. It would be one thing if the U folded the football program. Postponing games due to external factors isn't nearly the same thing.

I love college football and was very much looking forward to watching it this fall. I have no issue with the decision though, there are still way too many unknowns. Hopefully, they can learn from the NFL and how they deal with it. Hopefully, a vaccine comes out at some point prior to the spring. Hopefully, they do play in the spring.
This is an under-rated factor. If the NFL makes it through with minimal outbreaks and little/no team-to-team transmission, a Spring season is much more likely to occur, IMO.

I wonder how Kevin Warren, 6 days ago announced a B1G schedule, but now announces not happening. What a joke. Warren prime example of the Peter principle. Where is Jim Delvaney when you REALLY need him?

Life goes on in most of the BIG universities because their priorities and their citizens' do not revolve around their football team.
Academics aside, that is how NE is different.
The Lincoln Journal Star today was so filled with doom and gloom one would have thought WW 3 had just started.
I hope Frost keeps pushing to play some one outside of the conference and he gets slapped down by the AD who knows what side of his bread is buttered by the BTN and he will not get a better deal anywhere else.

I wonder how Kevin Warren, 6 days ago announced a B1G schedule, but now announces not happening. What a joke. Warren prime example of the Peter principle. Where is Jim Delvaney when you REALLY need him?
Not Warren's call. He answers to Big 10 presidents.

Assuming this links back to covid, this is definitely one of the main reasons why they are postponing. Says this is an alarming rate for myocarditis...

Don't claim to know all the B1G by-laws and rules - but if Nebraska really tried to go rogue and play games that were not sanctioned by the conference, I suspect their share of B1G TV money would go "bye-bye" in a heartbeat.

Personally, I think it would be a hoot if Neb got kicked out of the B1G and had to play as an independent, with no TV deal.

ultimately, this will tell us whether Frost runs that campus, or if the President has a spine.

Early word out of Big 12 meeting this evening is that they are in line with SEC and ACC and still intend to play.....for now.

Where is PJ during all of this? I haven't heard him come out in support or defiance of this decision. I know he will stay in good graces with the President and his AD, but c'mon man.....say something!
Maybe, I have just not seen the comments. PJ talked about the Floyd incident but for the most part PJ has been very quiet all summer.

I think this was the right decision, though I don't have near enough knowledge about COVID-19 to know for sure. If Universities cannot be opened with students attending classes like normal, then they should not be profiting off a small group of their students who play (in most cases) 1 of their 2 money making sports.

Think the B1G should only accept AAU member universities. Nebraska's not. ISU and Pitt the only members on your list I believe.
Pitt is a very high research university in an up and coming tech city, smack dab between Ohio St and Penn St. Decent amount of history with their football program, and decent b-ball at times. Would love to add them.

This is an under-rated factor. If the NFL makes it through with minimal outbreaks and little/no team-to-team transmission, a Spring season is much more likely to occur, IMO.
It’s called: bubble.

That’s the only way, pre-vaccine.

Nonsense.The decisions were made to protect the players and the staff from a potentially fatal or debilitating disease.
Liability and the media response had nothing to do with the decision.
You may disagree with the decision but not to impugn the motivations of those making the hard calls.

Naive.

The crux of the matter is it’s true the medical advisors don’t know the incidence of myocarditis with Covid-19. They can’t know with certainty other potential complications either. Most cases will probably resolve without incident but clearly that probably won’t always be the case. The optics of that occurrence, or occurrences of a player succumbing to sudden cardiac death or another complication of COVID-19 are a third rail issue for schools in our physical safety at any cost culture.

Where I think we differ is whether the players are any safer NOT playing but going on with their other activities. There is an abundance of wishful thinking on this topic. I’ve carried on ad-nauseum about the potential for rapid testing to be the salvation of a delayed season and I’m not sure why they didn’t pursue that angle more vigorously. Perhaps the logistics simply aren’t there, or perhaps they are receiving poor advice, or conflicting advice. I don’t know.

Kevin Warren was very evasive in his interview, which I don’t understand. Why wouldn’t he want everyone to know the reasons around the decision? You’re a smart guy Plato, as you’ve told us on several occasions. Fill us in.

The question now isn’t whether there will be spring ball (virtually 100% chance of “no” based on the interviews on BTN tonight) but whether this could dog us into next fall.

Pitt is a very high research university in an up and coming tech city, smack dab between Ohio St and Penn St. Decent amount of history with their football program, and decent b-ball at times. Would love to add them.
Maybe add hockey also.

Top Bottom