It's Official - The Big Ten has postponed its fall football season

Very disappointing news. This will be remembered as a year of "what ifs" involving sports, the economy, our democratic institutions, schools, religious gatherings, race, nothing has gone untouched. My passion for college football is almost boundless, but I will move on and discover a new passion. I understand bird watching is quite stimulating. :sneaky:

The players are learning a life lesson. The overarching and suffocating concern over liability and negative media relations has inflicted collateral damage on (for many) their passion, and bit them in the behinds.

Stay in the basement (alone), kids.
Nonsense.The decisions were made to protect the players and the staff from a potentially fatal or debilitating disease.
Liability and the media response had nothing to do with the decision.
You may disagree with the decision but not to impugn the motivations of those making the hard calls.

From a cardiologist at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota regarding myocarditis and college sports:
Quote Tweet

NapRWxMt_normal.png

Michael J. Ackerman MD,PhD

@MJAckermanMDPhD
· 4h
If #medical experts for the Pac-12 and Big 10 #CollegeFootball conferences are using the very good @JAMACardio paper on cardiac MRI findings in #COVID19 patients as compelling for cancellation, that is a big FOUL. The data does NOT support this at all! #WeWantToPlay #RefuseToFear
He said the research paper was "very good" and then claims that data does not support it. Is that some sort of inadvertent contradiction?

Man do I miss Jim Delaney! Warren looked unprepared and lost in his interview. Couldn’t even answer Revsine’s question about whether or not a school could play outside the league for one year on a temporary basis. Worse, he allows a league member to publicly say they don’t agree with this. What a crap show. Nebraska isn’t the only team upset and against this decision according to reports.

Seriously.... dude is not the right guy for the job.

Need leadership and dude is fumbling around ...

Very disappointing news. This will be remembered as a year of "what ifs" involving sports, the economy, our democratic institutions, schools, religious gatherings, race, nothing has gone untouched. My passion for college football is almost boundless, but I will move on and discover a new passion.
As an Audubon member, trust me, it's not going to take the place of Gopher football.:(

Of course no reasonable person is going to refuse to watch college football ever again because it had to take a year off for the worse pandemic in modern humanity.

Where is PJ during all of this? I haven't heard him come out in support or defiance of this decision. I know he will stay in good graces with the President and his AD, but c'mon man.....say something!

Let’s get that PhD from Mayo on here right quick, to tell off these cowards on the team who have a dangerous heart condition that it’s no big deal!

If that was your doctor, I would be very worried about your health. Hopefully that guy is just doing research, and not seeing patients.

Sure hope the Gophers follow suit with Nebraska, the Ohio State, Michigan, and Iowa. Would make for a nice 5 team Conference and they could play each twice.

I love college football and was very much looking forward to watching it this fall. I have no issue with the decision though, there are still way too many unknowns. Hopefully, they can learn from the NFL and how they deal with it. Hopefully, a vaccine comes out at some point prior to the spring. Hopefully, they do play in the spring.

Maybe the Big 10 can just save time on the next major postponement by taking their lead from the Ivy League. Seems like the P5 eventually comes to their way of thinking, just cut to the chase in the future.

The players are learning a life lesson. The overarching and suffocating concern over liability and negative media relations has inflicted collateral damage on (for many) their passion, and bit them in the behinds.

Please do not stay in the basement alone. Go fishing, camping, hunting, golfing, working out, volunteering, join a book club, intern, coach kids or any other of a million possibilities. Study twice as hard, write letters of gratitude to loved ones, study film.

People talk about liability....just think of the liability now if the ACC or SEC decides to go forward with an attempt at a fall season and things go horribly wrong and something serious happens to a player(s) due to COVID. You can bet that their attorneys would have a field day pointing out that the B10 and Pac12 decided it was too much of a risk to players health to proceed with a season due to COVID.

Or... living in a country where the leader of the country does not trust scientists and dilly dallies for 4 or 5 months before taking this thing seriously is a very bad thing. When we are on the same page as Brazil, Russia and Mexico as far as containing the virus and health outcomes that is pretty damn sad.
Also for being a very wealthy country our health care system is broken. How many people in this country do not have insurance right now and are extra vulnerable to this disease?

Never happen. My guess if there is a defection, it will be Nebraska. If that happens, good riddance.
Agreed. Been watching BTN and everyone has fallen in line except Nebby. Geno Smith at OSU, Barda at Iowa, Michigan and Penn State presidents all made statements supporting decision. Nebby only outlier at the moment.

People talk about liability....just think of the liability now if the ACC or SEC decides to go forward with an attempt at a fall season and things go horribly wrong and something serious happens to a player(s) due to COVID. You can bet that their attorneys would have a field day pointing out that the B10 and Pac12 decided it was too much of a risk to players health to proceed with a season due to COVID.
Like if Trevor Lawrence gets heart disease and has to retire from football??

The sick thing is, he'd probably refuse to sue the school and/or conference for fair compensation.

Agreed. Been watching BTN and everyone has fallen in line except Nebby. Geno Smith at OSU, Barda at Iowa, Michigan and Penn State presidents all made statements supporting decision. Nebby only outlier at the moment.
Kick them to the damn curb. So serious.

So many other schools would be better. Iowa State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College, UConn, to name a few.

So many other schools would be better. Iowa State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College, UConn, to name a few.
Cuse,Pitt and BC have double the cost of Maryland to break out of their contract. That is not happening. UConn has a brand new arrangement. Money is not exactly flying around these day.

Myocarditis would only be found in college football players that have Covid. It wouldn’t be found in anyone that plays in the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, high school soccer or the little league baseball players that I watch twice a week.

/s

Think the B1G should only accept AAU member universities. Nebraska's not. ISU and Pitt the only members on your list I believe.

Top Bottom