It's official: no fans (or very few) at Gopher home games

Fully agreed when those decisions only affect the person making them. I can't drive drunk and over the speed limit and say it's okay because it's my personal choice since that puts other people in danger. Indoor gatherings during a global pandemic puts other people in danger who weren't even there. This is how contagious diseases work.

The longer we are careless about this, the more it spreads and longer it lingers around. If everyone committed to stopping the spread, it would go away and people could go back to normal life and stop crying about having to wear a mask.

This is correct. The only people who say otherwise are the propaganda drenched folks that think that "herd immunity" is the only way forward.

Those people also think that "immunity" lasts forever....and that people won't catch the virus again.

Not worth trying to talk sense into people like that.

Last edited:

This is correct. The only people who say otherwise are the propaganda drenched folks that think that "herd immunity" is the only way forward.

Those people also don't think that "immunity" lasts forever....and that people won't catch the virus again.

Not worth trying to talk sense into people like that.
They all enjoyed their "personal freedom" at Sturgis and now the upper Midwest, led by the Dakotas, is the hardest hit part of the country.

Typical U of M communications- there is a form for if you want to donate the money. Or you can fill it out if you want to apply it to 21-22. However, if you want the full refund option- there is no such option on the form. What a clown show operation. If you are going to announce something like this- you refund the money and one should not have to ask for it.

This is going to break a 45 year habit for me. I will return when allowed but many will not. Once you break tradition it is easy to just not return. I would not be surprised if 2021-22 season tickets are in the 5000 or less range. This decision will hurt for a long time. I realize that this is not the UofM alone but this is a stupid, stupid move.
This was a no-win situation for the U of M (and everyone else) and it isn’t really a stupid move, it’s just the only move. As a 45+ year season ticket holder too, it already made sense for those of us in the older age group to stay away for this year. Not easy, but then this pandemic is not easy.

The irrational reaction to the pandemic will damage mankind for many years to come. The pandemic was going to be the pandemic regardless. We were never going to stop it. Let people who want to see a basketball game choose to do so. I thought masks worked?? I would be happy to wear a maroon and gold mask to see the games in person. If you sat people in groups of 4 (people who are comfortable with each other, put the groups 2 seats apart and went every other row, I'd guess you could put 4- 5k in the barn safely for a peaceful basketball protest. That would accommodate everyone brave enough to attend anyway,

Maybe you should take a look at how New Zealand handled it and then revise your thinking. Of course you still find excuses for the way this current administration handled the “hoax”, instead of holding them accountable. The damage you talk about is because the current administration didn’t do it‘s job. So you are wrong again.

Maybe you should take a look at how New Zealand handled it and then revise your thinking. Of course you still find excuses for the way this current administration handled the “hoax”, instead of holding them accountable. The damage you talk about is because the current administration didn’t do it‘s job. So you are wrong again.
Even the WHO now says lockdowns don't work and create more damage than help.

Even the WHO now says lockdowns don't work and create more damage than help.
That's not what the WHO said. That's what trump claimed they said. The WHO recommends a layered approach, which can include a lockdown if and when necessary. It's one of many tools.

It's not a one size fits all. However, in terms of outcomes to date, NZ, Germany, S. Korea and, maybe, Viet Nam lead the way.

I never received this email, glad I decided to start checking GH again. I will be requesting my refund today just like I did with my volleyball tickets. I donate money to the school but I pay to attend games. No games, no money.

That's not what the WHO said. That's what trump claimed they said. The WHO recommends a layered approach, which can include a lockdown if and when necessary. It's one of many tools.

It's not a one size fits all. However, in terms of outcomes to date, NZ, Germany, S. Korea and, maybe, Viet Nam lead the way.
Dr. David Nabarro from the WHO appealed to world leaders yesterday, telling them to stop “using lockdowns as your primary control method” of the coronavirus.

He also claimed that the only thing lockdowns achieved was poverty – with no mention of the potential lives saved.

“The only time we believe a lockdown is justified is to buy you time to reorganise, regroup, rebalance your resources, protect your health workers who are exhausted, but by and large, we’d rather not do it.”

“Current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long-term public health.”

Link

Last edited:

That's not what the WHO said. That's what trump claimed they said.
⬇️

Dr. David Nabarro from the WHO appealed to world leaders yesterday, telling them to stop “using lockdowns as your primary control method” of the coronavirus.

He also claimed that the only thing lockdowns achieved was poverty – with no mention of the potential lives saved.

“The only time we believe a lockdown is justified is to buy you time to reorganise, regroup, rebalance your resources, protect your health workers who are exhausted, but by and large, we’d rather not do it.”

“Current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long-term public health.”

Link

Yep. And if you actually read and comprehended what Jam said, you'd be capable of understanding that is exactly compatible with Dr. Nabarro's plea.

But you read what you want to read and believe what you want to believe, so it's pointless to argue with you.

Yep. And if you actually read and comprehended what Jam said, you'd be capable of understanding that is exactly compatible with Dr. Nabarro's plea.

But you read what you want to read and believe what you want to believe, so it's pointless to argue with you.

Jamiche's stance is not compatible with Dr. Nabarro's point. Dr. Naborro is saying do not lock down unless your health care system is ready to collapse. He is saying it is a last resort act, not a go to, which is what is occurring. If you can't comprehend that from what he's saying, it is you who has an understanding issue. None of the countries Jamiche referenced were in that state, so Dr. Nabarro is saying the damage that is/has been done with lockdowns is worse than the problem they purport to solve. That is why the title of article says the WHO condemns lockdowns, that is not an endorsement of their use.

Last edited:

Dr Nabarro: Dr. David Nabarro from the WHO appealed to world leaders yesterday, telling them to stop “using lockdowns as your primary control method”

Jam: The WHO recommends a layered approach, which can include a lockdown if and when necessary

Those are exactly compatible. You're either being obtuse (trying to push the narrative that you want to be true, but isn't) or you lack the intelligence to understand that they are.

Link
You took his quotes out of context. He was primarily talking about the impact of lockdowns on the third world. His concern is valid.

You are misrepresenting his quotes in order to be able to go to a gopher basketball game, which is pretty silly if you think about it. Stay home and watch them on TV so that we can pack the Barn next year.

You took his quotes out of context. He was primarily talking about the impact of lockdowns on the third world. His concern is valid.

You are misrepresenting his quotes in order to be able to go to a gopher basketball game, which is pretty silly if you think about it. Stay home and watch them on TV so that we can pack the Barn next year.

I just hope arenas can be filled safely for sporting events/concerts by 2022. Anything earlier than that will be pure gravy.

We have season tickets to the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra. They are having concerts but no attendees - similar to what may be happening for BB.
They have handled this with a real eye to their audience and season tickets holders, and have held beautiful live-streamed concerts free of charge. There is a musician host for each concert who discusses the pieces, and intermission spotlights on the musicians. I was glad to donate the price paid for my season tickets for this fall to them. Real thought and effort has gone into a pivot.

Is anyone preparing for engagement for fans during this year? As much as I disagree with bga on much of his perspective, keeping connections intact is important.
I currently feel no such generosity toward the U as I think they take us for granted. Thats one problem they have some control over and I hope they get on it.

Iowa-Gonzaga game Dec. 19 in Sioux Falls will have limited public ticket sales. Masks will be required, and will be available free of charge at the door. Wouldn’t mind making the trip, but I’d imagine tickets will be hard to come by.

Reactions: Go4

We have season tickets to the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra. They are having concerts but no attendees - similar to what may be happening for BB.
They have handled this with a real eye to their audience and season tickets holders, and have held beautiful live-streamed concerts free of charge. There is a musician host for each concert who discusses the pieces, and intermission spotlights on the musicians. I was glad to donate the price paid for my season tickets for this fall to them. Real thought and effort has gone into a pivot.

Is anyone preparing for engagement for fans during this year? As much as I disagree with bga on much of his perspective, keeping connections intact is important.
I currently feel no such generosity toward the U as I think they take us for granted. Thats one problem they have some control over and I hope they get on it.
I agree that their fan relations is miserable. Pardon the pun, but fan relations is a layup. There's so much built in goodwill that it's really tough to screw it up--but they do. And they will this time.

Reactions: Go4

I agree that their fan relations is miserable. Pardon the pun, but fan relations is a layup. There's so much built in goodwill that it's really tough to screw it up--but they do. And they will this time.
They miss a lot of bunnies, but this time they might want to take some time to run an actual play.

I emailed fan relations to request a refund, citing the above info.

They said "no final decision has been made but we are allowing fans to opt out" so I did that. I don't think I'd attend a game regardless of what is allowed. Have a baby and am busy, this year would have been sparse attendance anyway.

Shops and restaurants are all open to the public. Gophers should have a limited number of fans as well. The inconsistency makes no sense imo.

Shops and restaurants are all open to the public. Gophers should have a limited number of fans as well. The inconsistency makes no sense imo.
Regardless, each business/venue should get to decide for itself what it wants to do.

Yes, what could be safer than standing asshole to belly button in the lower concourse of William's Arena during cold and flu season? (And, no, I don't live in my basement.)

Sir you have earned one of these -

1603373151339.png

Top Bottom