It's official: no fans (or very few) at Gopher home games

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
This from the U of M:

I hope this note finds you and your loved ones safe and well. These past eight months have been unprecedented and it’s hard to think the last time our basketball student-athletes were on the hardwood was back in March.
In September, the NCAA DI Council approved a November 25th start date for men's and women's basketball. Read the full statement from the NCAA here. We support the association and conference's decision as the health and safety of our student-athletes remains our top priority.

This season will be extremely different than previous seasons. Based on recommendations from local health officials and guidelines in place on the state and local levels, there will be a drastic reduction in the number of spectators permitted to attend Gopher sporting events. Current guidelines from the Minnesota Department of Health specify that venues must reduce occupant capacity to no more than 250 (indoor venues) patrons. With this reduction, we anticipate few or no spectators at home basketball games. If fans are permitted to attend home basketball games, a limited number of tickets may be distributed on an individual, game-by-game basis.

I have been expecting this announcement and will miss the Barn this winter. I hope they find a way to get a small number of friends and family safely in to watch. I also hope there will be more televised games.

With the recent setbacks in vaccine development this was inevitable. Large indoor gatherings are not going to be a good idea for several months. Hopefully a couple hundred family/U staff can at least attend.

Yes, what could be safer than standing asshole to belly button in the lower concourse of William's Arena during cold and flu season? (And, no, I don't live in my basement.)

Nobody was expecting full attendance to be allowed- but not crafting plan is to allow safe, 20ish % capacity really sucks.

Also- nobody would force you to attend. I believe in the antiquated notions of personal choice and self responsibility.

Yes, what could be safer than standing asshole to belly button in the lower concourse of William's Arena during cold and flu season? (And, no, I don't live in my basement.)
Choice can be a really cool thing. We'll all die eventually. The question is whether we will choose to live in the meantime.

Typical U of M communications- there is a form for if you want to donate the money. Or you can fill it out if you want to apply it to 21-22. However, if you want the full refund option- there is no such option on the form. What a clown show operation. If you are going to announce something like this- you refund the money and one should not have to ask for it.

This is going to break a 45 year habit for me. I will return when allowed but many will not. Once you break tradition it is easy to just not return. I would not be surprised if 2021-22 season tickets are in the 5000 or less range. This decision will hurt for a long time. I realize that this is not the UofM alone but this is a stupid, stupid move.

Last edited:

Typical U of M communications- there is a form for if you want to donate the money. Or you can fill it out if you want to apply it to 21-22. However, if you want the full refund option- there is no such option on the form. What a clown show operation. If you are going to announce something like this- you refund the money and one should not have to ask for it.
Interesting.

After the press release/email announcing their decision I simply emailed Gopher Fan Relations, asked for my refund, and they replied by asking if I'd consider donating all or any of it to the Gopher Fund. Kind of cheesy considering I'd already revealed I wanted a full refund, but I understand. The person I communicated with never mentioned anything about filling out a form, and that's even after I caved and told them to subtract $125 from my refund and put it toward my Gophers Score points.

What I'm pissed about is if the Department of Health/U of M later on (I'm thinking January/February in Big Ten season) loosens restrictions a bit and allows a percentage of fans, current season-ticket holders don't get "first crack" at game tickets. They'll be in the pool for tickets just like everyone else. Grrrrr.

Last edited:

This is going to break a 45 year habit for me. I will return when allowed but many will not. Once you break tradition it is easy to just not return. I would not be surprised if 2021-22 season tickets are in the 5000 or less range. This decision will hurt for a long time. I realize that this is not the UofM alone but this is a stupid, stupid move.
All of this may be true, but I'm not sure allowing 2,800 fans in this year would change it much if at all. All sports, pro and college will be hurt by the pandemic now and for a while.

What I'm pissed about is if the Department of Health/U of M later on (I'm thinking January/February in Big Ten season) loosens restrictions a bit and allows a percentage of fans, current season-ticket holders don't get "first crack" at game tickets. They'll be in the pool for tickets just like everyone else. Grrrrr.
Agreed. I don't understand that at all.

All of this may be true, but I'm not sure allowing 2,800 fans in this year would change it much if at all. All sports, pro and college will be hurt by the pandemic now and for a while.
The irrational reaction to the pandemic will damage mankind for many years to come. The pandemic was going to be the pandemic regardless. We were never going to stop it. Let people who want to see a basketball game choose to do so. I thought masks worked?? I would be happy to wear a maroon and gold mask to see the games in person. If you sat people in groups of 4 (people who are comfortable with each other, put the groups 2 seats apart and went every other row, I'd guess you could put 4- 5k in the barn safely for a peaceful basketball protest. That would accommodate everyone brave enough to attend anyway,

Interesting.

After the press release/email announcing their decision I simply emailed Gopher Fan Relations, asked for my refund, and they replied by asking if I'd consider donating all or any of it to the Gopher Fund. Kind of cheesy considering I'd already revealed I wanted a full refund, but I understand. The person I communicated with never mentioned anything about filling out a form, and that's even after I caved and told them to subtract $125 from my refund and put it toward my Gophers Score points.

Thanks for the tip- I got the same response and they were prompt- which I credit them for. It takes 4-6 weeks to get a refund.....but that's ok.

Interesting.

To me that signals the UofM feels there is a quite minimal/near zero chance that fans will be allowed in Jan or Feb.

This news sucks regardless if it was somewhat expected.

Think I'll try to convince my family to hold onto our season tickets for a little longer just in case...

Not directed at anyone specific, but how in the hell did anyone think we would be going to attend inside events like basketball when we havent been going to outside events and the Pandemic will not be over until long after hoops season? The level of surprise is, well, surprising?

Not directed at anyone specific, but how in the hell did anyone think we would be going to attend inside events like basketball when we havent been going to outside events and the Pandemic will not be over until long after hoops season? The level of surprise is, well, surprising?

I have to assume you are talking about only Minnesota, correct? Because there are college football and NFL teams allowing fans in right now, though in outdoor stadiums (Saints are currently in a pissing match with the mayor of New Orleans about wanting fans in the Superdome). You're right though about MN, as Walz probably won't allow anything for winter sports. But who's to say college basketball teams in other states (with less strict governors and mayors) won't allow limited fans by February if covid doesn't get worse in that area or goes down? It will probably happen in some places then.

And most people on here aren't surprised. For a season ticket holder like myself, it's still a gut punch.

I really haven't seen anyone express surprise though?

Disappointment yes, surprise, sadly no.

Nobody was expecting full attendance to be allowed- but not crafting plan is to allow safe, 20ish % capacity really sucks.

Also- nobody would force you to attend. I believe in the antiquated notions of personal choice and self responsibility.

Fully agreed when those decisions only affect the person making them. I can't drive drunk and over the speed limit and say it's okay because it's my personal choice since that puts other people in danger. Indoor gatherings during a global pandemic puts other people in danger who weren't even there. This is how contagious diseases work.

The longer we are careless about this, the more it spreads and longer it lingers around. If everyone committed to stopping the spread, it would go away and people could go back to normal life and stop crying about having to wear a mask.

Fully agreed when those decisions only affect the person making them. I can't drive drunk and over the speed limit and say it's okay because it's my personal choice since that puts other people in danger. Indoor gatherings during a global pandemic puts other people in danger who weren't even there. This is how contagious diseases work.

The longer we are careless about this, the more it spreads and longer it lingers around. If everyone committed to stopping the spread, it would go away and people could go back to normal life and stop crying about having to wear a mask.
This is obviously incorrect. The longer we lock things up the longer it takes to go away. When you get it, as a young or healthy person, you have received something akin to a vaccine. It might make you sick. The route to getting rid of this fastest is shown by Sweden (they fully admit that they blew it in the beginning with the seniors). You let it move through the population and you protect the seniors and vulnerable. Attempting to hold it down unnaturally is nuts. Even the WHO now agrees.
Vulnerable people should stay away from large indoor events. The same goes during the flu season. If the flu endangers you, be very careful. The rest of us should be living life. We are not eternal in this life.

This is the right way to do it.

But I fear this way is becoming a losing battle. People are already tired an wary of restrictions, let alone new lockdowns. I would be surprised if any governor has the balls to do another lockdown. But, I should know better than be surprised at how things have gone in this country this year.

This is the right way to do it.

But I fear this way is becoming a losing battle. People are already tired an wary of restrictions, let alone new lockdowns. I would be surprised if any governor has the balls to do another lockdown. But, I should know better than be surprised at how things have gone in this country this year.
We know more about how it spreads than we did in March. Another lock down is not necessary. But avoiding/discouraging large indoor gatherings of over X people per SF etc. is common sense.

I'm not surprised; I'm not disappointed. This is exactly what I expected would happen, and it's the way it has to be. This is the most extraordinary situation of our lifetimes, and it's better to accept the things we can't change instead of continually wishing or pretending it isn't happening.

I'm probably going to do what Selection Sunday did: donate $100 or so and take the rest back. SS, how did you arrive at $125? Is that a threshold for something?

We'll still get to watch the games. The part that I'll miss--besides the crowd and the atmosphere--is the same thing I'm missing now: just getting out of the dang house! Yesterday I drove to city hall to drop off my election ballot, and it felt like a vacation!

I'm not surprised; I'm not disappointed. This is exactly what I expected would happen, and it's the way it has to be. This is the most extraordinary situation of our lifetimes, and it's better to accept the things we can't change instead of continually wishing or pretending it isn't happening.

I'm probably going to do what Selection Sunday did: donate $100 or so and take the rest back. SS, how did you arrive at $125? Is that a threshold for something?

We'll still get to watch the games. The part that I'll miss--besides the crowd and the atmosphere--is the same thing I'm missing now: just getting out of the dang house! Yesterday I drove to city hall to drop off my election ballot, and it felt like a vacation!
Was planning to do that a couple weekends ago, in the nifty drive thru lane they setup ... then realized it wasn't open on weekends (yet). Doh! I said F it, I trust things to be fair and reasonable in this state, and put it in a USPS box. Lo and behold, the state tracking site said it was received and will be counted.

Was planning to do that a couple weekends ago, in the nifty drive thru lane they setup ... then realized it wasn't open on weekends (yet). Doh! I said F it, I trust things to be fair and reasonable in this state, and put it in a USPS box. Lo and behold, the state tracking site said it was received and will be counted.

I went to City Hall and voted today. Quite a freeing experience with regards to political ads, signs, mailings, texts, phone calls, debates, Off Topic board...just doesn't matter anymore.

Non-sequitur, while I was going through the process it dawned on me that I really wish I had started/invested in a plex-i-glass company about a year ago.

I decided on $125 because it was just over 10% of the total cost for my tickets + handling fees. Told them if by some chance Big Ten Tournament allows some fans from each school, I expect to be notified.

Thats one way of looking at it.

This is obviously incorrect. The longer we lock things up the longer it takes to go away. When you get it, as a young or healthy person, you have received something akin to a vaccine. It might make you sick. The route to getting rid of this fastest is shown by Sweden (they fully admit that they blew it in the beginning with the seniors). You let it move through the population and you protect the seniors and vulnerable. Attempting to hold it down unnaturally is nuts. Even the WHO now agrees.
Vulnerable people should stay away from large indoor events. The same goes during the flu season. If the flu endangers you, be very careful. The rest of us should be living life. We are not eternal in this life.
It's not like the flu. It's considerably more contagious and considerably more deadly. As others have said, your personal choice and freedom impacts others. It's not all about you.

The irrational reaction to the pandemic will damage mankind for many years to come. The pandemic was going to be the pandemic regardless. We were never going to stop it. Let people who want to see a basketball game choose to do so. I thought masks worked?? I would be happy to wear a maroon and gold mask to see the games in person. If you sat people in groups of 4 (people who are comfortable with each other, put the groups 2 seats apart and went every other row, I'd guess you could put 4- 5k in the barn safely for a peaceful basketball protest. That would accommodate everyone brave enough to attend anyway,

Yeah....who cares what the coaches and players want. Let's stick all you fun covid people in that enclosed space and hope for the best.

Oh wait....the world doesn't revolve around you. Suck it up.

Top Bottom