Is Minnesota still alive for CFP?

I think they'd take a 2 loss tOHSU over us.

Bowling green loss killed it.

I'd be happy with rose bowl
If they took a 2 loss OSU that lost to us in the championship this would seriously destroy the credibility of the playoff. However, if it's the case that we go undefeated the rest of the year I seriously doubt there's a scenario where either we or OSU makes the playoff.

If they took a 2 loss OSU that lost to us in the championship this would seriously destroy the credibility of the playoff. However, if it's the case that we go undefeated the rest of the year I seriously doubt there's a scenario where either we or OSU makes the playoff.
We would have to win out convincingly AND destroy Wisconsin AND destroy OSU.

I would think losing 2 games is going to do just as much to damage any shot at the playoff as the fact that one of them was to Bowling Green. A 2 loss team has not yet made the playoff.

But we wouldn’t want to let a day pass without mentioning that we lost to Bowling Green. Bowling Green. Bowling. Green. We lost to Bowling Green. Freaking Bowling Green. Can you believe we lost to Bowling Green? Wow. We really lost to Bowling Green. Of all teams. Bowling Green.

I would think losing 2 games is going to do just as much to damage any shot at the playoff as the fact that one of them was to Bowling Green. A 2 loss team has not yet made the playoff.

But we wouldn’t want to let a day pass without mentioning that we lost to Bowling Green. Bowling Green. Bowling. Green. We lost to Bowling Green. Freaking Bowling Green. Can you believe we lost to Bowling Green? Wow. We really lost to Bowling Green. Of all teams. Bowling Green.
CFP, really people? 🙄 After the the NE loss to Purdue, not sure why that gives me so much pleasure, but it does, they think the football gods owe them not to suck, but they do. Cracks me up.

Then Cockeyes, they want Barta and KF fired after losing at Becky at Becky. They don’t realized how lucky they’ve been with their success, dudes, you’re fricking Iowa…

Then come here and see this thread, seriously?

We finish 2-2 would be ok. 3-1 be happy, 4-0, Damn!!!

Least of my concerns is one horrible loss to BG with so many players on O hurt or missing. So dumb, but still, just one game so far. Please just keep wining.

Could end up having a great season, but CFP’s, really? Settle down ppl.

Were not a blue blood so we can't get in with 2 losses plus one loss was bowling green

We've played 8 games, our record is 6-2, and we have a thread on GopherHole debating whether or not we'll be eligible for the CFP.

Thank you, Coach Fleck! This is a conversation we never, never, never would have had before you came to Minnesota.

CFP, really people? 🙄 After the the NE loss to Purdue, not sure why that gives me so much pleasure, but it does, they think the football gods owe them not to suck, but they do. Cracks me up.

Then Cockeyes, they want Barta and KF fired after losing at Becky at Becky. They don’t realized how lucky they’ve been with their success, dudes, you’re fricking Iowa…

Then come here and see this thread, seriously?

We finish 2-2 would be ok. 3-1 be happy, 4-0, Damn!!!

Least of my concerns is one horrible loss to BG with so many players on O hurt or missing. So dumb, but still, just one game so far. Please just keep wining.

Could end up having a great season, but CFP’s, really? Settle down ppl.

Relax. This is a theoretical debate only. Nobody is saying it's likely and the OP starts with how improbable it would be.

I agree Minnesota would probably fall behind a bunch of 2 loss teams and also a 1 loss Cincinnati, whether that's fair or not.

The hard part to swallow in this scenario would be the Big Ten perhaps not sending a team to CFP in one of its strongest years in recent memory. It's something for the powers that be to debate if they expand the playoff...should conference champions get auto-bids? It would have the effect of keeping teams with 2, 3, even 4 losses alive for CFP in the future if they can get an easier path and win a conference title game.

At this point, the most likely team to make the CFP from the B1G is MSU.

Haha. No.
do we have win over someone with a winning record

No chance due to the BG loss. Easiest way to put it… Alabama beats Georgia and both make the playoffs. If Georgia beats Alabama it would leave Alabama with two losses. Which 2 loss team gets in? Alabama or Minnesota?

Things that need to happen in order for us to make the playoffs:

1.) Playoffs expanded to 12 teams

2.) We win the rest of our games including winning the B1G championship game.

In current format we don't stand a chance. No statistical way I can see us getting in. However, if somehow the 2 things up above can happen than we have a chance.

I do believe this thread will be used by WI and IA message boards to talk about how delusional our fan base is. Thanks for starting a thread that is better served on a Nebraska message board.

In the current format, the Gophers might make the field with a 12-1 record and a B1G Championship. Anything less than that, no chance.

In a 12-team format, I think 11-2 and a loss in the B1G title game would still get you in the field. Maybe even 10-3, but that would be iffy.

Is the BG affair too damning to ever overcome to that extent?

Any 2nd loss probably would be too damning. No two-loss team has ever made the CFP. Why would they overturn that tradition for the Gophers when there will be a few undefeated teams and a decent selection of one-loss teams available?

If they took a 2 loss OSU that lost to us in the championship this would seriously destroy the credibility of the playoff.

Yes, it would and that's why they wouldn't do that. A Big Ten team isn't guaranteed to make the CFP. In two of the previous 7 CFPs, there was no Big Ten team.

The hard part to swallow in this scenario would be the Big Ten perhaps not sending a team to CFP in one of its strongest years in recent memory.

That remains to be seen. In half of the previous ten seasons, the conference has lost the majority of its bowl games. If you took the 10 seasons previous to that, the conference's success rate in bowl games was worse than that.

I do believe this thread will be used by WI and IA message boards to talk about how delusional our fan base is. Thanks for starting a thread that is better served on a Nebraska message board.
You are not living up to your username!

In current format we don't stand a chance. No statistical way I can see us getting in. However, if somehow the 2 things up above can happen than we have a chance.

Nothing wrong with the thread. All for fun. There is one other way we make 4-team playoff and that is Georgia losing SEC champ game and everyone else at top getting two losses.

We would be 11-2 with final win over The OSU. Would three other 11-2 teams go ahead of Big Ten champ with same record?

Nothing wrong with the thread. All for fun. There is one other way we make 4-team playoff and that is Georgia losing SEC champ game and everyone else at top getting two losses.

We would be 11-2 with final win over The OSU. Would three other 11-2 teams go ahead of Big Ten champ with same record?

That's the million dollar question: just how much does winning the B1G Championship factor into the final decision-making process?

Silly thread, but all in good fun.
  1. If MN destroys all remaining opponents including OSU in the B1G championship and
  2. Georgia absolutely hammers Alabama in the SEC championship and
  3. All other B1G teams have 2 losses (ie, MSU loses to OSU and PSU, Mich loses to OSU) and
  4. Oklahoma loses 2 and
  5. Cincinnati loses to SMU and
  6. Oregon loses again and
I can't keep doing this 😂 If MN wins out they'll likely be in the Rose Bowl and it'll be one of the sweetest days of my life! Go Gophs

Zero unbeaten power 5 champs have ever been left out of the playoff.
Zero 1-loss power 5 champs have ever been left out of the playoff for a 2 loss power 5 champ or a 1 loss non power 5 champ.

the gophers aren’t winning out this year. And if they did, they’d have 2 losses and would need chaos to get in. But it’s not 0%

claiming the gophers never have a chance is just flat wrong: Michigan state has played in the playoff. Minnesota was 2 wins away in 2019. Iowa was one win away in 2015. Baylor was in in 2014 if they could’ve beaten West Virginia

It's not a playoff, it's an invitational final four. If Gopher win out and win B1G title, they would need quite a few other upsets to be considered. Until expanded to 12 teams, the room for error is thin. Notre Dame and Cincinnati are the two teams that may screw things up this year. P5 conferences are kind of screwed if those two win out.

Top Bottom