Is It Realistic to Move On From Johnson This Year?

Maybe if we'd fired Pitino after year 3 and now Ben after year 2. But there's no pattern and no optics issue firing someone 5-35 with one of the 3 worst teams in the power 6.

You're probably right about the $$, but it's shortsighted. His buyout will cost $3-4 million less next year and they will lose that much in ticket revenue.
Valid points, but I still say not after this season.

IIRC this would also require the regents’ approval as well

It's a revenue generating sport dependent on fan interest, fans have every right to be ticked off. The optics already can't be any worse...
“Most people are as happy as the decide to be”, Will Rodgers.

I never said you couldn’t be upset, I merely pointed out that the choice to be apoplectic over an endeavor that really doesn’t significantly impact your life, is a choice and not a fait accompli.

The optics was a reference to scaring away qualified candidates by firing the incumbent after only 2 seasons.

Coaches see the record and how the team plays. They wouldn’t see it as a quick hook. It’s a Big Ten job. There would be plenty of candidates.
Never said there wouldn’t be candidates, my supposition is that it would “likely”scare away, good candidates, in my opinion.

Work on your form Trent🧐

“Most people are as happy as the decide to be”, Will Rodgers.

I never said you couldn’t be upset, I merely pointed out that the choice to be apoplectic over an endeavor that really doesn’t significantly impact your life, is a choice and not a fait accompli.

The optics was a reference to scaring away qualified candidates by firing the incumbent after only 2 seasons.

And doesn't significantly impact many lives period.

It’s simply entertainment and if it’s not entertaining you, find something that does 🤷‍♂️
The NCAA tournament is the best event in sports IMO.

I personally think it's a bummer when we aren't a part of it. So much fun when we are.

We've gotta earn it as Gopher fans, so I stay invested.

6 NCAA tournament berths since 2000. 2 wins. Tough.

Deep breath is necessary. If everyone who Johnson would want back is back…they should be significantly more competitive even if you don’t add much from the portal. I suspect they’ll add a capable player or two from the portal, lose TT and that’s a net positive. Christie >>> Samuels. The roster will be better if people stay.

I’m not even sure I really care if Henley leaves.
I also don’t care if Henley leaves. But if Payne / Garcia leave, is about to go nuclear on this board

I also don’t care if Henley leaves. But if Payne / Garcia leave, is about to go nuclear on this board
Not really sure it can get much more negative on this board.

That said, if the few bright spots on the roster decide to transfer out after this season to go along with losing Evans that might be the only thing that could push things to the point of making a change after 2 years.

With Evans being released I won't be surprised if Henley transfers. I would be surprised if either Payne or Garcia did though. Garcia because he would have to sit a year and Payne because he is a Minnesota kid playing a big role for his home state team.

Johnson has some decent front court pieces to work with, backcourt will need a drastic overhaul with the available spots. In some ways almost need a repeat of the backcourt transfers from year one, older guys that can come in and play solid right off the bat.

Never said there wouldn’t be candidates, my supposition is that it would “likely”scare away, good candidates, in my opinion.

Work on your form Trent🧐
Really? “work on your form” because I provide a civil response that is different from yours. I just disagree that it would “likely” scare away candidates. Coyle has a track record of supporting coaches and took a flier on an inexperienced coach. Coaches aren’t stupid - they can see it’s not working. Likely a 14 game losing steak to finish the year. If it was our previous AD letting go of Tubby, I agree with you.

And doesn't significantly impact many lives period.
I think it might have been Ford Frick, the former MLB commissioner, who talked about how important recreations are to society. These are activities that make life so much more interesting. It's true, too, of the arts and all entertainment. Whether people want to admit it or not, this whole family of things IS important. Life would be pretty drab without them. I think we know how much fun and interest a competitive team brings to us. And who wants to pay four figures of money a year to watch such a bad product?

We're obviously at the "sour grapes" stage of this futility, where people start to pretend it doesn't matter.

I do think there's about a 90% chance Ben gets the 3rd year, unless the end of year meeting convinces Coyle otherwise.

We finish last in the Big 10 next year OR win 4 games or less, he's done.

If not, Coyle may call it enough improvement and give him the 4th year.

Really? “work on your form” because I provide a civil response that is different from yours. I just disagree that it would “likely” scare away candidates. Coyle has a track record of supporting coaches and took a flier on an inexperienced coach. Coaches aren’t stupid - they can see it’s not working. Likely a 14 game losing steak to finish the year. If it was our previous AD letting go of Tubby, I agree with you.
That's the worst looking shot I ever saw Trent hoist, and he launched a lot of tough ones. The shot I will never forget was a buzzer beater with a hand in his face, just past half court, and falling sideways. He landed on press chairs and the ball found net.

Additionally, the optics of firing a Coach after only 2 seasons, will lead some from the coaching community to think that’s a quick hook 🪝 and likely scare away qualified candidates. You also have limited financial resources due to the buyout, so that further limits the candidate pool.

He’s back next year, no question.

If you can’t deal with the loses and periods of inept basketball; simply don’t watch and spend that time with another avocation.

This isn’t some existential crisis for Pete’s Sake.
How about the optics of losing?

I think it might have been Ford Frick, the former MLB commissioner, who talked about how important recreations are to society. These are activities that make life so much more interesting. It's true, too, of the arts and all entertainment. Whether people want to admit it or not, this whole family of things IS important. Life would be pretty drab without them. I think we know how much fun and interest a competitive team brings to us. And who wants to pay four figures of money a year to watch such a bad product?
Joan of Arc’s got nothing on you brother.
Gasp there are no other games on that TV or other social activities to participate in.
We're obviously at the "sour grapes" stage of this futility, where people start to pretend it doesn't matter.
varied interests other than watching some sort of ball being chased others on a screen or in person occasionally and/or they’ve seen enough of life downs and/or matured to it mattering that much to them - they simply enjoy it for what it is and not for what it isn’t.

Highly doubt on your death bed, you’ll lament Ben Johnson’s coaching record🤨

Thought the emoji signified it was a joke- guess not.

Agree to disagree.

Work on your form Trent🧐
Something scared away candidates prior to Pitino and during the Johnson hire. Probably had a shot at some experienced coaches instead of Johnson though but selected the wrong leader. Even Northern Illinois passed on Johnson. Johnson is a branch from the Pitino coaching tree and unfortunately, the Pitino (Richard) tree is NOT successful. Not exactly a confidence booster to hire Pitino's primary recruiter. What was Coyle thinking? Obviously, the Pitino coaching tree had a dead branch when linked to Richard.

The worst thing that can happen is running it back next year and winning 4-6 B1G games. That would be both "progress" and better than Pitino did in year 3, giving the ignorant Souhan's of the world much ammo.
Yes I really don’t wanna see this and then add a 4th year.

Something scared away candidates prior to Pitino and during the Johnson hire. Probably had a shot at some experienced coaches instead of Johnson though but selected the wrong leader. Even Northern Illinois passed on Johnson. Johnson is a branch from the Pitino coaching tree and unfortunately, the Pitino (Richard) tree is NOT successful. Not exactly a confidence booster to hire Pitino's primary recruiter. What was Coyle thinking? Obviously, the Pitino coaching tree had a dead branch when linked to Richard.
The question in the thread title is not should Ben have been hired, but is it realistic to move on from him after this year?
I said no it isn’t and gave my opinion as to why not - there is at least one if not multiple other threads to discuss the merits of his hire in the first place, unless you prefer to conflate 2 separate issues, so you can vent your anger - at least the 🐶 was spared, right?

Last edited:

We are a true point guard away from winning at least half of our B1G games. It is unfortunate that Dennis Evans loves $$$ more than basketball. I want kids who want to be here and I think Ben gets one more year. (Whalen has been given a longer leash and she has been much worse so I give Johnson another year.)
I get it that the fans who want instant success and invitation to the dance are either going to leave or double-down on their bitching, but Ben gets another year. The kids have not quit playing. They just haven't been good enough...yet.

We are a true point guard away from winning at least half of our B1G games. It is unfortunate that Dennis Evans loves $$$ more than basketball. I want kids who want to be here and I think Ben gets one more year. (Whalen has been given a longer leash and she has been much worse so I give Johnson another year.)
I get it that the fans who want instant success and invitation to the dance are either going to leave or double-down on their bitching, but Ben gets another year. The kids have not quit playing. They just haven't been good enough...yet.
Who is that PG worth 9 more wins and is he attainable?

There is no "Magic Johnson" point guard walking into the Gopher hoops future.

And as many have pointed out that our best freshman, Payne, should start....our coach disagrees. Not putting any faith in that guy recruiting a clueless point guard to help right the ship and sail us to the promised land.

That is actually a great question that Coach Johnson will have to figure out.
I actually won’t totally disagree that there may be 9-10 Big 10 wins potential here next year, but I don’t think Ben is a coach who can bring that out.

Don’t waste Payne and Garcia. They’re a really nice 4/5 combo.

Last edited:

Top Bottom