Is Athan Kaliakmanis ready? | Gopherhole

How could anyone but the coach's know and .... honestly game day who knows.

And is anyone really ready?
The key is to help him get into a rhythm and gain confidence. Hope we have some high probability quick hitters drawn up.

I agree with Liebert: if Morgan is ruled out, I wouldn't be shocked to see Kramer and Kaliakmanis sharing the QB snaps against Penn State.

Athan looked a little bit wide-eyed against Illinois. It's a nationally televised major network night game and the crowd at Beaver Stadium will be huge and raucous. Asking Kramer to share some of the pressure might help both of them.

I agree with Liebert: if Morgan is ruled out, I wouldn't be shocked to see Kramer and Kaliakmanis sharing the QB snaps against Penn State.

Athan looked a little bit wide-eyed against Illinois. Asking Kramer to share some of the burden of expectations might help both of them.
Could definitely end up being a "go with the hot hand" scenario. Penn State can be a rough environment to play in, so it could certainly work that someone like Kramer is a little more ready to deal with the external pressures.

Athan was put in a tough spot against Illinois having to come in late with the team behind like that.

Could definitely end up being a "go with the hot hand" scenario. Penn State can be a rough environment to play in, so it could certainly work that someone like Kramer is a little more ready to deal with the external pressures.

Athan was put in a tough spot against Illinois having to come in late with the team behind like that.

Well, yes... but this is the B1G. A starting QB at Minnesota has to deal with high-pressure situations in almost every game. There's no easy path to football stardom. You don't usually get to ease your way in to the starting role; you have be ready to step up when your chance comes.

I don’t remember the backstory. Was he injured his senior season?

Athan looked a little bit wide-eyed against Illinois. It's a nationally televised major network night game and the crowd at Beaver Stadium will be huge and raucous. Asking Kramer to share some of the pressure might help both of them.
Penn St. goes full REVENGE GAME

Gophers "Yeah we're just gonna try some stuff out here ..."

Well, yes... but this is the B1G. A starting QB at Minnesota has to deal with high-pressure situations in almost every game. There's no easy path to football stardom. You don't usually get to ease your way in to the starting role; you have be ready to step up when your chance comes.
Fair enough, but there is a big difference between coming in cold off the bench late in a game vs. spending the whole week preparing to be the starting QB.

No matter when the ball is finally handled to Athan there is a good chance he will have some growing pains along the way as he gains experience and gets better.

Fair enough, but there is a big difference between coming in cold off the bench late in a game vs. spending the whole week preparing to be the starting QB.

No matter when the ball is finally handled to Athan there is a good chance he will have some growing pains along the way as he gains experience and gets better.
Tanner Morgan came in mid-game of the seventh game of the 2018 season. He was a redshirt freshman. He has started every game since, missing two plays up until his injury last week.

Who knows? I definitely don't think it's fair to put too much weight on his performance vs Illinois though. He was thrown into a meat grinder since Illinois was very effective at bringing pressure. Not only that, but add on to that the fact we were behind and him coming in was not just to replace Morgan, but also to try to save the game.

Tanner Morgan came in mid-game of the seventh game of the 2018 season. He was a redshirt freshman. He has started every game since, missing two plays up until his injury last week.
The above meaning he missed two plays because of injury and not counting a few plays he missed due to Seth Green or Kramer playing wildcat.

Who knows? I definitely don't think it's fair to put too much weight on his performance vs Illinois though. He was thrown into a meat grinder since Illinois was very effective at bringing pressure. Not only that, but add on to that the fact we were behind and him coming in was not just to replace Morgan, but also to try to save the game.
Agree. looks like he has talent. Everyone will be supporting him and hopes that he does well not that he's getting his chance.

I don’t remember the backstory. Was he injured his senior season?

I guess he could have been but the reason he didn't play was that Illinois cancelled high school football during the pandemic year.

Receivers aren't good, biggest concern. If no separation I'm not sure what to expect here.

O Line and receivers need to help him out. Or will be a problem.

The one thing I do hope to see is a little bit of running game from him. Needs to be in the gameplan. Get him outside the pocket and moving.

Receivers aren't good, biggest concern. If no separation I'm not sure what to expect here.

O Line and receivers need to help him out. Or will be a problem.

The one thing I do hope to see is a little bit of running game from him. Needs to be in the gameplan. Get him outside the pocket and moving.
The thing I like from him so far is he’s not afraid to throw it. You don’t want him to get paralyzed by indecision and we haven’t seen that so far. You can live with mistakes given he’s learning and growing. Don’t want him to just go out there and get sacked 7-8 times and not throw the ball. Play call/scheme is the biggest helper for that in that you can develop safety valves/easy throws. It’s something our scheme seems somewhat mediocre in to me which worries me

I may be in the minority here that thinks last week was more IL being really good at defense rather than MN being very bad - albeit MN struggled to respond effectively, with a snowball factor. IL has some really good defenders and created tremendous pressure on the QBs and receivers. They were outstanding.

Penn State very likely is not as good as IL at defense. We’ll see. The X factor is Athan and how he does on a very big stage. I’m not optimistic but you ever know. MN could surprise.

It's not impossible that Athan comes in and excells quickly but if he struggles people need to be patient. Some fans are quick to label players a bust or give up on them right away.

Morgan's first start was at home against Indiana. That is very different than starting on the road at Penn State.

Top Bottom