Is AKs play a concern?

Yup.
Both games, too. Arm strength is still there though.

I'm mildly dusappointed so far in Kaliakmanis. I was hoping an offseason of work would improve timing, accuracy and decision making
So far i havent seen it.

However, there is plenty of time for that, and meantime, there is still a ton of natural talent there. And it's not like he's been bad. Decent play and some flashes of better.

It's just not been as good as I was hoping. To get into another level of success, you need more from your QB than "decent."
Good, fair post and kind of sums up how I’m feeling about it.

Game 2 seemed better than game 1, but I spose that’s also partly a result of competition. Game 1 he seemed to lock onto one target and be unable to come off it- similar to a frustration I had with Morgan early on.

The side arm surprised me. I was looking forward to a QB taller than Morgan who might not have as many balls batted at the line, but with that low slot, AK’s throws seem prone to getting batted more than if his slot was higher.

in order to throw medium and deep routes, the QB needs time. I have a nagging feeling that the coaches don't necessarily trust the O-line in pass blocking - at least not long enough to allow longer routes to develop.

maybe I'm wrong, but I also have an idea that they are keeping BSF in to block more often instead of letting him release and get downfield - which could also be tied to concerns about pass-blocking.

hopefully this is something that can improve as the new O-linemen have more time to gel as a unit.

in order to throw medium and deep routes, the QB needs time. I have a nagging feeling that the coaches don't necessarily trust the O-line in pass blocking - at least not long enough to allow longer routes to develop.

maybe I'm wrong, but I also have an idea that they are keeping BSF in to block more often instead of letting him release and get downfield - which could also be tied to concerns about pass-blocking.

hopefully this is something that can improve as the new O-linemen have more time to gel as a unit.

The o-line definitely needs more time to gel as a unit. Great observation, SON.

That being said, the o-line graded out higher in pass blocking than in the run game against Nebraska. It will be interesting to see if that is also true vs EMU.

My impression: the pass protection seemed pretty good. I don't remember a lot of pressure on Kaliakmanis. EMU did have one sack.

I often wonder if those fans who yen for deep passes do so because such plays are exciting or if they really think they're useful. Unless they are a genuine threat to the defense even if incomplete (which most are) they only result in a loss of down.
However, I would throw deep on 2nd and a foot if I have Larry Csonka in my backfield.

I often wonder if those fans who yen for deep passes do so because such plays are exciting or if they really think they're useful. Unless they are a genuine threat to the defense even if incomplete (which most are) they only result in a loss of down.
However, I would throw deep on 2nd and a foot if I have Larry Csonka in my backfield.
It's partly a symptoms of us struggling in the red zone. For whatever reason, we are having trouble finishing drives and getting the TD. Better red zone execution would be a fix for that, but so would scoring on some big play deep strikes.

There was at least one 2nd and short where I thought they would take the long shot...but ran it. Very vanilla offensive game plan Saturday.

It's partly a symptoms of us struggling in the red zone. For whatever reason, we are having trouble finishing drives and getting the TD. Better red zone execution would be a fix for that, but so would scoring on some big play deep strikes.
In goal line situations I wonder why teams never go on a quick count. Is that an old fashioned tactic?

I think there were two 3rd and very short where a QB sneak would have been perfect. Used the RB instead... I think they got one and were stopped on one.

Last edited:

Fleck offenses are just confounding and I would say underpeform their capabilities, if it weren't for D the heat would be up.

I worry more about how our OC schemes and makes adjustments vs Athan.

Athan is good, so far I dont think our OC is at the same level as Cirroca, not bad like Sanford

Fleck offenses are just confounding and I would say underpeform their capabilities, if it weren't for D the heat would be up.
Everything has to be a long, drawn out drive. It's just hard to score much without the big plays mixed in. We just never get any.

I'm 67 years old.

At some point in my life time, being a fan of a team changed fundamentally. We are no longer content to simply cheer for the team, and hope fervently that they win. Instead, we analyze every call, every move, every decision, and second guess them all. We pontificate about which play should have been called, and proclaim to an absolute certainty which player should be benched. This coach should be fired. That player should get more playing time.

We aren't really fans anymore. Instead, we're self-appointed experts. I'm including myself in this, by the way.

He’s playing well enough to win the West. He’s making good decisions for the most part and is protecting the ball. He’s been accurate for the most part and is converting 3rd and longs. He looks poised in the pocket and has made plays with his legs.

I'm 67 years old.

At some point in my life time, being a fan of a team changed fundamentally. We are no longer content to simply cheer for the team, and hope fervently that they win. Instead, we analyze every call, every move, every decision, and second guess them all. We pontificate about which play should have been called, and proclaim to an absolute certainty which player should be benched. This coach should be fired. That player should get more playing time.

We aren't really fans anymore. Instead, we're self-appointed experts. I'm including myself in this, by the way.

I believe most of us are just shooting the breeze discussing football, which really isn’t that important but does qualify as an above average and fun entertainment diversion with a lot of complexity and intricacies.. Some take it a little further, which is fine. Some are trolls, and some are only here to rip on other fans.

I'm 67 years old.

Going to go out on a limb and guess that things started changing sometime around the explosion of the internet.... :)

I'm 67 years old.

We always did that talking to ourselves. Now we have internet and message boards to write it down.

I'm 67 years old.

I'm 65. It's no different today than 40 years ago.
Whats different is we're talking about sports with thousands on the internet, rather than 2 or 3 at a bar or the work break room.

West winnable. BIG Championship, not so much. Michigan and Penn State appear to have the consistent balance to get to the Conference Championship and win it. BUT, as the old ball coach used to say, play the game and play it to win it. You never know about motivated college age ballers.

AK is doing alright. The WR are having trouble separating on the deep balls. Maybe need a little more speed. I’d like to see Taylor on deep routes sometimes. Also would like to 20 yard crossing patterns.

My heart pains to see the Mitch Leidner and Athan Kaliakmakis comparisons. I wish Athan had Mitch's ability to QB sneak into the end zone at will (minus that one MI game.) Other than that Athan is far superior, Mitch couldnt throw at all. I think he will be as good as Adam Weber.

Top Bottom