Is AKs play a concern?

roadrunner

Reaction score
Sure, the Gophers are 2-0 but if you look at the QB stats what do you see?
GP- 2, COMP PCT- 57%, YDS- 313, TDS- 1, INT- 2
Take away the miracle TD catch on a ball nearly overthrown and things would look even worse.
My overall impression is Athan is a good scrambler but an average runner, has a strong, accurate arm in the intermediate pass game but is innacurate on the deep ball, has some issues with touch, and has trouble making the right reads in the red zone.
Now, there's a chance he will improve, but is anyone else having any concerns???

On a per attempt basis things were good against EMU. The INT wasn’t his fault.

He throws a really nice ball which makes it all the more strange that the Gophers seem to have zero downfield passing game through 2 weeks.

Right now it seems like he’s had to work hard for the completions he gets. Lots of 3rd down conversions into tight spaces. Not many wide open receivers.

Would like to see some of the RPO slants on first down that worked so well under Ciarocca and Morgan. Also hoping to see some deeper shots against UNC

1. He’s two games in…he does good things.
Yes, he’s not perfect but the potential is there.
2. If Cole didn’t play late game today…when is he ever going to get an opportunity to show he could be better?
Cole had a better spring game but Athan has more upside.
3. Doesn’t matter….PJ ain’t ever switching QB’s no matter their performance. He locks onto one guy for the duration.

Take away the miracle TD catch on a ball nearly overthrown and things would look even worse.
My overall impression is Athan is a good scrambler but an average runner, has a strong, accurate arm in the intermediate pass game but is innacurate on the deep ball, has some issues with touch, and has trouble making the right reads in the red zone.
Now, there's a chance he will improve, but is anyone else having any concerns???

No.

He is a redshirt sophomore who doesn't even have a full season of starts under his belt at the college level. In other words, he is not a finished product.

The potential is clearly there but like all young players he has things to work on in his game. We all want guys to come in and be perfect right away but that isn't how it works. So yeah, there are concerns, but it is also clear that he has some serious upside and could be really really good.

My only concern is his apparent love for using a Mahomes-style sidearm delivery, dropping his arm down when it isn't necessary or even desirable.
This has been worrisome for me as well. And it is the only aspect of his play that does worry me. He’s young and learning and going to have ups and downs. We should expect that and not clamor to change quarterbacks when things don’t go perfect. But the throwing motion is definitely something that I think is not desirable for every single pass you make, just good to have in the arsenal.

Honestly, I think he has played well. He has thrown a couple tight balls on some key third downs that if they were anywhere else would have been incomplete pass. I think, the bigger issue, is the wide receivers are not getting separation. Is that because of their routes or the overall passing game play calling and defenses we are going up against. No clue. But I think lack of receivers open is a way bigger concern than the quarterback

He has demonstrated a ton of potential but I was buying into the hype and thought he would be further along. For me the biggest thing is the decision making. At times he stares down his receiver and will try to force throws into double or triple coverage. Accuracy can be inconsistent at times and needs to throw with touch more, but the arm is lively. I’m hopeful the decision making will get better with experience. I know PJ wants to establish the run but I think it would benefit Athan and the offenses to have him throw it 30 times a game before conference starts. I feel like this o-line is going to struggle mightily run blocking against most big ten opponents

I’m not worried about the INTs. I think even going back to last year, almost all of them have been served up to the defense right off of receiver’s (BSF especially) hands

He has demonstrated a ton of potential but I was buying into the hype and thought he would be further along. For me the biggest thing is the decision making. At times he stares down his receiver and will try to force throws into double or triple coverage. Accuracy can be inconsistent at times and needs to throw with touch more, but the arm is lively. I’m hopeful the decision making will get better with experience. I know PJ wants to establish the run but I think it would benefit Athan and the offenses to have him throw it 30 times a game before conference starts. I feel like this o-line is going to struggle mightily run blocking against most big ten opponents
I know this thread is about AK but run blocking looked really good last night and some of the struggles running in week one might have had a lot to do with Nebraska's D. Through 2 games they given up a little over 100 yards total on the ground. Colorado couldn't run on them either.

33 carries - 58 yards and they had a 34 yard run in there. Nebraska's run D just might be legit (pass D leaves something to be desired).

Strong arm
Not a ton of touch
Better scrambler than Morgan

It’s been two games. The hype here was asinine and he could never have lived to up it.

I think he’ll be fine
Agree.

I’m not worried about the INTs. I think even going back to last year, almost all of them have been served up to the defense right off of receiver’s (BSF especially) hands
BSF has a knack for that it seems.

Agree with his throwing into multiple coverages and his tendency to stare down his receivers but it didn't appear the top B1G qbs don't throw 30 times a game. I say he should be in the 20 to 25 passes a game.

1. He’s two games in…he does good things.
Yes, he’s not perfect but the potential is there.
2. If Cole didn’t play late game today…when is he ever going to get an opportunity to show he could be better?
Cole had a better spring game but Athan has more upside.
3. Doesn’t matter….PJ ain’t ever switching QB’s no matter their performance. He locks onto one guy for the duration.
He is on "on-the-job training" and will get better.

As long as he keeps those W's coming, I am happy. The Gophers have not been blown out yet.
:drink:

We should be doing what we did against Wisconsin last year.

That's the correct offensive gameplan for AK, these receivers (including BSF), and now the TnT boys in the backfield.

Don't talk to me about Mo this and Mo that. He had 70 yards on 27 carries. We ran to set up the pass, and executed on it very well.

Watch the Texas-Alabama highlights of the anticipation, touch, and deep throws of Quinn Ewers. That is what a college QB should look like.

We should be doing what we did against Wisconsin last year.

That's the correct offensive gameplan for AK, these receivers (including BSF), and now the TnT boys in the backfield.

Don't talk to me about Mo this and Mo that. He had 70 yards on 27 carries. We ran to set up the pass, and executed on it very well.
Okey-dokey.

Let's talk about Darius Taylor instead.

Week one he was a little late on some throws. If he corrected that in week 2 or forward... then he'll correct other stuff. As someone said, on the job training still early in his career. Can he throw? Yes.

Next week against North Carolina will be a true test of our offense and our defense.

I like the game plan we had vs. EMU: chew the clock and keep the Gopher punter off the field.

North Carolina gave up 219 yards rushing vs Appalachian State. We should be able to run on them.

I'm excited about Kaliakmanis' career at Minnesota. He's going to be a great one, I believe.

My only concern is his apparent love for using a Mahomes-style sidearm delivery, dropping his arm down when it isn't necessary or even desirable.

That side arm got him at least one completion yesterday that probably would have been batted down overhand. It can work. He doesn't do it every throw.

That side arm got him at least one completion yesterday that probably would have been batted down overhand. It can work. He doesn't do it every throw.

I hope you're right.

Mahomes does it with a purpose in mind. And Mahomes is a very, very rare talent.

I hope Kaliakmanis doesn't get into the habit of doing it just because he thinks it looks cool, or because he's imitating Mahomes.

I'm excited about Kaliakmanis' career at Minnesota. =ould He's going to be a great one, I believe.

Has great awareness in the pocket and the ability to get out of pressure. He has a cannon arm. I really don't see what is not to like at this point. He will have to learn the touch pass and he could use better receivers, ours are average except for the TE. Kid would light it up with a Bateman type.

Top Bottom