Iowa SDSU depth chart: top WR out? starting cb suspended,

swingman

Reaction score
IOWA CITY, Iowa - A Nico Ragaini injury rumor floating around for the last week or so was confirmed on Monday when Iowa released its first depth chart for the regular season. The Hawkeyes' most veteran receiver was missing from the two-deep ahead of Saturday's season-opener against South Dakota State at Kinnick Stadium.

Ragaini ranked third on Iowa with 26 catches for 331 yards and a touchdown last season. He started seven games and played in all 14 of them.

True sophomores Keagan Johnson and Arland Bruce IV were listed as the starting wide receivers on the latest depth chart. They combined for 43 receptions, 561 yards and three scores in 2021.

Wideout is a thin, banged up and inexperienced position beyond Ragaini, Johnson and Bruce IV. No other current healthy receiver has a college catch to his credit.

Redshirt freshman Brody Brecht has been slowed by injury this offseason. True freshman Jacob Bostick delivered some impressive plays during the team's open practice earlier this month.

After that, the Hawkeyes will look to walk-ons. Sophomore Jack Johnson (West Des Moines Valley High) and Alex Wick (Iowa City Regina High) are listed as backups on the new two-deep.

The offensive line also has been dealing with injuries this month, causing shuffling on the front. The new depth chart listed the starters as (from L to R) Mason Richman, Tyler Elsbury, Logan Jones, Connor Colby and Jack Plumb.

Sophomore Gavin Williams was slowed by injury at the beginning of training camp but is listed as the No. 1 running back. His classmate, Leshon Williams, showed up as the backup.

As expected, Spencer Petras holds down the top line at quarterback with Alex Padilla the backup. Aaron Blom is the No. 1 kicker listed with true freshman Drew Stevens on the second line.

Defensively, Terry Roberts is a starting cornerback opposite Riley Moss. Projected No. 1, Jamari Harris, is suspended for the opening game after being arrested for OWI in April.

IOWA CITY, Iowa - A Nico Ragaini injury rumor floating around for the last week or so was confirmed on Monday when Iowa released its first depth chart for the regular season. The Hawkeyes' most veteran receiver was missing from the two-deep ahead of Saturday's season-opener against South Dakota State at Kinnick Stadium.

Ragaini ranked third on Iowa with 26 catches for 331 yards and a touchdown last season. He started seven games and played in all 14 of them.

True sophomores Keagan Johnson and Arland Bruce IV were listed as the starting wide receivers on the latest depth chart. They combined for 43 receptions, 561 yards and three scores in 2021.

Wideout is a thin, banged up and inexperienced position beyond Ragaini, Johnson and Bruce IV. No other current healthy receiver has a college catch to his credit.

Redshirt freshman Brody Brecht has been slowed by injury this offseason. True freshman Jacob Bostick delivered some impressive plays during the team's open practice earlier this month.

After that, the Hawkeyes will look to walk-ons. Sophomore Jack Johnson (West Des Moines Valley High) and Alex Wick (Iowa City Regina High) are listed as backups on the new two-deep.

The offensive line also has been dealing with injuries this month, causing shuffling on the front. The new depth chart listed the starters as (from L to R) Mason Richman, Tyler Elsbury, Logan Jones, Connor Colby and Jack Plumb.

Sophomore Gavin Williams was slowed by injury at the beginning of training camp but is listed as the No. 1 running back. His classmate, Leshon Williams, showed up as the backup.

As expected, Spencer Petras holds down the top line at quarterback with Alex Padilla the backup. Aaron Blom is the No. 1 kicker listed with true freshman Drew Stevens on the second line.

Defensively, Terry Roberts is a starting cornerback opposite Riley Moss. Projected No. 1, Jamari Harris, is suspended for the opening game after being arrested for OWI in April.

Arland Bruce! Some memorable big plays from him in 1999, like scoring the winning touchdown the last time the Gophers won in Iowa City.

In chatting with some Iowa fans, I have discovered there is a lot of bad blood between Iowa and Purdue.

They are pretty much saying Purdue bought the two WR's who transferred from Iowa to Purdue.

SDSU will be very good again this season. This should be a close game and SDSU has a chance of pulling off the upset.

Is there a point spread for this one yet? ESPN doesn't have one at the moment.

SDSU will be very good again this season. This should be a close game and SDSU has a chance of pulling off the upset.
Think SDSU will give them a game until halftime. Just don't see Iowa losing at home with a lot of their Oline, starting QB and tailback back. Arland Bruce IV kid will Win Iowa this game. They played in Indy last year and will be a tough out again to win against.

Man, it’s just one aspect of a football game, but right now Iowa’s receivers against our secondary would be a complete mismatch

Think SDSU will give them a game until halftime. Just don't see Iowa losing at home with a lot of their Oline, starting QB and tailback back. Arland Bruce IV kid will Win Iowa this game. They played in Indy last year and will be a tough out again to win against.

Their starting RB from last season is now in the NFL and their starting QB is not good. Arland Bruce only had 209 yards receiving total last season and 1 TD.

Iowa's offense was terrible last season and there's a lot of reason to believe they will be worse this season.

Their starting RB from last season is now in the NFL and their starting QB is not good. Arland Bruce only had 209 yards receiving total last season and 1 TD.

Iowa's offense was terrible last season and there's a lot of reason to believe they will be worse this season.
I don't disagree, except I think Bruce IV has a lot of speed and talent. They have two other backs that played last year and a good OLine. The Jackrabbits will play hard against Iowa, just like they did against the U.

That is just a dumb reply.. You can do pretty much everything in Minnesota you can do here except the huntings a little better here.

SDSU has their QB back, who led them to the national title game two years ago, while tearing his knee up in the title game and missing last season. They have a solid OL and a pair of stud brother Wr's. I wouldn't guarantee this one for Iowa.

Iowa can't throw the ball anyway, so what difference does it make losing receivers?

I think you're forgetting about pro sports, museums, lakes, shopping, theater...could go on...
Everything you listed we have in Iowa except pro sports teams. I live on a lake. And because the cost of living so much lower I was able to retire at 45. The only thing I miss about Minnesota is Jesse James Days in Northfield.

Edit for voice to text error.

Last edited:

Everything you listed we have in Iowa except pro sports teams. I live on a lake. And because the cost of. living so much lower I was able to retire at 45. You don't think I miss about Minnesota is Jesse James Days in Northfield.
You think the museums, theaters, and lakes in Iowa are of equal quality and quantity?

Don't take it personal. People like living in places for different reasons. Not faulting anyone for living in Iowa or a small town. If you like it there that's all that matters. But to say that Minnesota doesn't have more attractions that are dividing people's attention and disposable dollars (fan attendance) is downright silly.

Last edited:

That is just a dumb reply.. You can do pretty much everything in Minnesota you can do here except the huntings a little better here.
That is just a dumb reply. Talk to any marketing person from The “U” to the pro teams, to the theater district, to comedy club owners, museums, etc. et al, and they’ll all tell you that they are competing for “entertainment dollars”. There is more competition for the entertainment dollar in the Twin Cities than in all of iowa by a factor of about 10…it’s not close.

You think the museums, theaters, and lakes in Iowa are of equal quality and quantity?

Don't take it personal. People like living in places for different reasons. Not faulting anyone for living in Iowa or a small town. If you like it there that's all that matters. But to say that Minnesota doesn't have more attractions that are dividing people's attention and disposable dollars (fan attendance) is downright silly.
Such a tough call for football fans deciding between a Gopher game, the theater or a museum.

And their All American center is gone and now starting for the Ravens.

Everything you listed we have in Iowa except pro sports teams. I live on a lake. And because the cost of living so much lower I was able to retire at 45. The only thing I miss about Minnesota is Jesse James Days in Northfield.

Edit for voice to text error.
Northfield is practically Iowa.

True. You probably just have to drive farther to do any of it. Like go to a lake, go to a ski hill, see a Great Lake, find a lutefisk supper...
Lakes are close to me. I live on a small one. A larger lake is about 20 minutes. Sking is about an hour to Dubuque. Lutefisk I have never had it but Pella IA I assume.

Top Bottom