Iowa could go 12-0

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
If they can win at Columbus. Their other games are with us, Indiana and Northwestern - all at home. Huge year for Ferentz.

For as much as I hate Iowa you have to hand it to them. They have a very difficult schedule this year and even though it hasn't been pretty they are getting it done.

Not going to happen. They will have a tough enough time winning at Ohio State. A NC game would be a repeat of their Orange Bowl game. This is a Cinderella team that will turn into a pumpkin sooner or later.

It seems almost impossible for an SEC team to not make the NC game, so Iowa would be relying on Texas losing and probably Cincinnati losing. Combine that with a win on the road against OSU, and it's a tough scenario to see them pulling off.

There is no way Iowa will make the NC game, even if they go 12-0. I am a Big Ten homer, but realistically there are about 15 teams in the nation that are better than the best team in the Big Ten, whether that be Iowa, Penn State or Ohio State. The Big Ten is not good this year, especially the offenses/QBs. I would take any 1-loss team from the SEC over an undefeated Iowa. For as good as the Hawks been so far in Big Ten play, the too close for call losses at home against Northern Iowa and Arkansas State will keep them out IMO.

Would be great to see the Hawks 12-0 and...

from the point of view of bringing the BT back into national respectability, in the NC and winning.
In fact, that scenario for a neighboring rival would take Brew's & GN's dreams out of the realm of complete fantasy.

It seems almost impossible for an SEC team to not make the NC game, so Iowa would be relying on Texas losing and probably Cincinnati losing. Combine that with a win on the road against OSU, and it's a tough scenario to see them pulling off.

There's a decent chance they overtake Cincinnati after this week due to Strength of Schedule, and they definitely will if they win out. They were only .001 points or something crazy like that behind them last week. The computers (who can't factor in margin of victory, thankfully) love Iowa. They do need a Texas loss though.

There is no way Iowa will make the NC game, even if they go 12-0. I am a Big Ten homer, but realistically there are about 15 teams in the nation that are better than the best team in the Big Ten, whether that be Iowa, Penn State or Ohio State. The Big Ten is not good this year, especially the offenses/QBs. I would take any 1-loss team from the SEC over an undefeated Iowa. For as good as the Hawks been so far in Big Ten play, the too close for call losses at home against Northern Iowa and Arkansas State will keep them out IMO.
Hmm....well not really. The computers love Iowa, mostly because they don't take MOV into account.

While the B10 isn't strong this year, outside of the SEC and the Pac-10 there really aren't any strong conferences.

Like I said, the SEC will bring one team to the dance (Florida, Alabama, or LSU) so that will leave one spot. The only 1 loss team I could see making an argument over an undefeated Iowa team would be the winner of USC-Oregon, but even still I think they would have a hard time leaving Iowa out. If Texas wins out, they are in, based on reputation. The real question is if Cincinnatti would be viewed as having a stronger resume than Iowa. I'm not sure.

There's a decent chance they overtake Cincinnati after this week due to Strength of Schedule, and they definitely will if they win out. They were only .001 points or something crazy like that behind them last week. The computers (who can't factor in margin of victory, thankfully) love Iowa. They do need a Texas loss though.

go texas!

Hmm....well not really. The computers love Iowa, mostly because they don't take MOV into account.

Another reason the computers love Iowa is their SOS. The Hawkeyes opponents so far all have a winning record except Arkansas St (2-4) and Michigan St (4-4). They won at Michigan St, at Penn St, and at Wisconsin. They don't have Purdue (currently 3-5) or Illinois (1-6) on the schedule either. Cumulatively, their opponents record is 38-22 (.633); removing the losses to the Hawkeyes, and they are 38-14 (.730) against all other opponents.

That can potentially change in the coming weeks even if Iowa keeps winning. Iowa has home dates with Indiana (4-4), Northwestern (5-3), and Minnesota (4-4), and on the road at Ohio St (6-2).

They might not be pretty or overly impressive, but if Iowa wins the B10, they will have definitely earned it.

IMO, Iowa was the best team in the BT at the end of the season and it has carried over.

Don't get me wrong, but I can't help but respect Ferentz and what he's done in Iowa. Outside of putting his faith in Drew Tate for a couple of seasons, the guy has pretty much been golden in Iowa City after getting his program in place.

This is hyperbole, but I'm an old guy and I see Ferentz as really subscribing to what Vince Lombardi did in Green Bay. Football is a simple game. For all the fooforall with formations and trickery, the game still boils down to blocking and tackling and the team that knocks the other team down more usually wins.

I don't buy the Hawkeye fans "we're doing it all on moxie and hardwork" schtick. Ferentz recruits well to his system. His team isn't a bunch of farm boys rollicking all over the field in their clodhoppers. It's a strong athletic team with enough at the skilled positions to get it done consistently. Kudos to Ferentz and the Hawkeye squad.

Now, if their fans could just dial it back about ten notches, that would be great.

Don't get me wrong, but I can't help but respect Ferentz and what he's done in Iowa. Outside of putting his faith in Drew Tate for a couple of seasons, the guy has pretty much been golden in Iowa City after getting his program in place.

The same Drew Tate who carried an offense with no RBs to a conference title and Top 10 finish as a true sophomore? And then was an even better player the next season? But I guess he did get hurt and had to throw to receivers who couldn't catch the ball the next year, so, you're right, he sucked. Why would Ferentz ever play him when he could have been starting superstars like Jason Manson and Jake Christensen?

I wouldn't be so sure they over take Cincy in SOS. Cincy has a pretty decent finish to their schedule and could possible beat a top 10 team in Pitt on the road on the final weekend.

I even have Iowa at over 8 wins for the season and would give up all winnings for someone to beat them at this point.

I'll give you Tate's sophomore year in your argument. After that, overrated even though his stats were better in 2005. Another in the line of "next Brett Favres" who was more style than substance. He was nothing more than a hot-headed loose cannon his senior season.

I have a different take on the Hawkeyes. I wish them well. There are two teams I enjoy watching the Gophers beat more than any other... Iowa and Wisconsin. However, after my Gopher love I next like to see Big 10 teams do well. I think it would be good for the Big 10 to have someone other than Ohio State represent, and WIN in a big bowl game. My first choice would be for the Gophers to beat them, just like Wisconsin's 1 loss year in the 90's. But, if that doesn't happen I do hope Iowa wins out and represents the Big 10 well - even if it happens to be in the national championship game.

I do think they will lose in Columbus though. I'd like to see them win, but I think they will lose a tough one there.

I have a different take on the Hawkeyes. I wish them well. There are two teams I enjoy watching the Gophers beat more than any other... Iowa and Wisconsin. However, after my Gopher love I next like to see Big 10 teams do well. I think it would be good for the Big 10 to have someone other than Ohio State represent, and WIN in a big bowl game. My first choice would be for the Gophers to beat them, just like Wisconsin's 1 loss year in the 90's. But, if that doesn't happen I do hope Iowa wins out and represents the Big 10 well - even if it happens to be in the national championship game.

I do think they will lose in Columbus though. I'd like to see them win, but I think they will lose a tough one there.

After the way their fans acted last year, I wish nothing but bad things for Iowa, their state, college, and program. They are riding a hot streak right now with their disciplined and physical style, in a vastly inconsistent Big Ten conference. I would like nothing more than to see them fade down the stretch, losing to OSU, and hopefully we come in and spoil their Rose Bowl bid.
Is it likely, no, but anything can happen in college football.

After the way their fans acted last year, I wish nothing but bad things for Iowa, their state, college, and program. They are riding a hot streak right now with their disciplined and physical style, in a vastly inconsistent Big Ten conference. I would like nothing more than to see them fade down the stretch, losing to OSU, and hopefully we come in and spoil their Rose Bowl bid.
Is it likely, no, but anything can happen in college football.

Wow. I thought it was Iowa and Wisconsin fans who lacked class. Reread your post, Ole.

Dateline Iowa City, IA: Gas explosion on the University of Iowa campus kills 100 students and faculty

Ole: :D:clap::D:clap::D

Obviously they need one of Florida, Alabama or Texas to lose. If that happens I think a 12-0 Iowa gets in. The SEC is not all it's hyped to be and letting a one loss Florida or Alabama in over an undefeated Iowa would be a travesty, as much as seeing them get there would make me a bit ill. Seeing Farve in purple for 7 weeks has numbed my sensitivity to such things.

Wow. I thought it was Iowa and Wisconsin fans who lacked class. Reread your post, Ole.

Dateline Iowa City, IA: Gas explosion on the University of Iowa campus kills 100 students and faculty

Class is overrated.

e: Anyways on topic Iowa will have to try to go 12-0 without Adam Robinson and starting RG Dace Richardson.

It's a big blow to the Hawkeyes. But, they have gone 8-0 without RB Jewel Hampton for the entire year and missing TE Moeaki and OL Bulaga for multiple games.

He's a freshman, so it's not as bad as the news on Eric Decker. In all honesty, that is a shame. I like watching him play - he's a true competitor. I really feel bad for him; it's not easy to have your senior year end like that.

For as much as I hate Iowa you have to hand it to them. They have a very difficult schedule this year and even though it hasn't been pretty they are getting it done.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm sick of OSU getting all the close calls, etc,. If Iowa beats them they will earn it.

That is a completely accurate statement.

He had a completely messed up arm, and was throwing to Herb effin' Grigsby. I'd be pissed too. The only reason he was even out there is because there wasn't another option. Iowa fans are retarded when it comes to Drew Tate. Everyone thinks he sucked after his sophomore year, even though he was way better better the next year, and had an excuse for sucking as a senior. He's one of the best QBs in Iowa history.

Also we are totally screwed without Dace and A-Rob.

actually, their record this year helps explain the 55-0 game....

maybe they were just a damn good team

Ok, short of people getting hurt/dying/serious crap. I just will route against your team anytime anywhere. The things I witnessed last year after the game were nothing short of disgusting by the hawkeye contingent.

I'm glad MplsHawk could take time out from discounting the word of a rape victim to deliver a treatise on class.

Top Bottom