Injury Watch: 1/31 - Pitino: Dre out for NW and unlikely for Purdue

Anyone else watch the replay of the injury and think the Wisc kid slid in underneath Dre after he was already in the air? Looks to me like the defender came in from the side, slid underneath. Should have been a foul, he has to give the shooter room to land.

I don't know to what extent it was intentional, but the Badger players quickly put some distance between themselves and Dre as he went down. They knew they fouled him, and they're probably coached that if the official doesn't see it as it's happening, get out of there.

This is the official press release from the U:

ANDRE HOLLINS INJURY UPDATE

Junior guard Andre Hollins (Memphis, Tenn./White Station) suffered a left ankle injury during last night’s game against Wisconsin. An x-ray of the ankle was negative, and MRI testing confirmed the sprain. Hollins’s status for Sunday’s game at Nebraska is doubtful, and he will be re-evaluated on a day-to-day basis.

ankle sprains are different for everyone, don't pretend you know anything about it based upon your own personal experience. The odds are good that he'll be back to 100% by March, but how he's feeling before then is a crapshoot.

It's highly likely we've seen Andre at full strength for the last time this season. Same thing with Payne at MSU with his plantar fasciitis. When those guys come back they'll just have to gut it out and hope for the best. Tough injuries to get all the way back to 100% while you're trying to play basketball at the same time.

I agree with this. He may lose some lift on his jumper, he may not cut as well offensively or lose a step defensively and there is always change he will bing it again. Also, when you play on a running team, not running for 7-10 days is a lifetime.

From the Horse's mouth:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Thanks for all of the prayers and well wishes! I'll be back out on the court in no time! Just a lil ankle sprain y'all &#55357;&#56860;</p>— Andre Hollins (@AndreHollins) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndreHollins/statuses/426404872431210496">January 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Anyone else watch the replay of the injury and think the Wisc kid slid in underneath Dre after he was already in the air? Looks to me like the defender came in from the side, slid underneath. Should have been a foul, he has to give the shooter room to land.

There was nothing dirty about the play. There definitely shouldn't have been a foul either. It was just ****ty luck. That sort of play happens all the time in basketball and a foul is never called.

If you look to the far end of the bench you can see Dre standing up and cheering Malik's three!

834907504.gif

834907788.gif

Even Wally looked mildly interested/excited.

wow, these 2 gifs.. saved.

There was nothing dirty about the play. There definitely shouldn't have been a foul either. It was just ****ty luck. That sort of play happens all the time in basketball and a foul is never called.

I completely disagree. It was the ol' Bill Laimbeer, leave a foot under the jump shooter trick. It's not always meant to injure, just give the shooter something to think about next time he has a jump shot. It looked 100% intentional to me, and I think it was absolutely a dirty play. I agree that it happens all the time in basketball, without injury occurring, but it's a terrible thing, and should be stopped. A shooter has the right to come down without having the defensive player slide feet under him. Seeing it live and the replays convinced me that Gasser could have boxed him out, he could have stopped, and he intentionally left his foot under there. Again, didn't mean to hurt Dre's ankle, but did intend to slide his foot under and leave it there.

From the Horse's mouth:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Thanks for all of the prayers and well wishes! I'll be back out on the court in no time! Just a lil ankle sprain y'all &#55357;&#56860;</p>— Andre Hollins (@AndreHollins) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndreHollins/statuses/426404872431210496">January 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

Great news. Hopefully we can find a way to take care of Nebraska and NW without him and get him back for Purdue.

This.

Even Wally looked mildly interested/excited.[/QUOTE]

Let's not use so much hyperbole here, huh? :D

Didn't see him come up, but he was there at the end of the game and did the post game rouser while in the boot.

That ligament comment was trolling. Philly, are you from Wisconsin? You're giving messag boards a bad name.

Yeah, that was ridiculous thing to post. He/she must have needed the attention.

I completely disagree. It was the ol' Bill Laimbeer, leave a foot under the jump shooter trick. It's not always meant to injure, just give the shooter something to think about next time he has a jump shot. It looked 100% intentional to me, and I think it was absolutely a dirty play. I agree that it happens all the time in basketball, without injury occurring, but it's a terrible thing, and should be stopped. A shooter has the right to come down without having the defensive player slide feet under him. Seeing it live and the replays convinced me that Gasser could have boxed him out, he could have stopped, and he intentionally left his foot under there. Again, didn't mean to hurt Dre's ankle, but did intend to slide his foot under and leave it there.
I agree with you I thought it was intentional and while I don't think he was trying to injure Dre it seemed to me like a typical kind of BADger play where you get away with whatever you can. I didn't really notice but my brother told me he saw the ref go right over to Gasser and talk to him about the play after it happened and guessing he was just warning him about it. It does happen a lot but I think it is kind of a dirty play and a play that needs stop.

My guess is a pretty bad sprain and he'll be out a few weeks. The good news is our schedule lightens up a bit now and we also have a week off in between the Nebraska and Northwestern games.

Never, ever say the schedule "lightens up." Haha. I'm only joking but this is the B1G and there are 100% no gimmies. In fact, I would guess Minnesota would enter Nebraska as a toss-up or maybe slight UNDERDOG. The Huskers defeated tOSU at home and that place is beginning to become an arena no one wants to play in. Though the Bucks have had a rough go of it lately, they are still a vastly talented team in my opinion and Neb. should not be taken lightly. As for Northwestern, that is a game Minnesota will be favored, but let's not forget, the Gophers might be without their best scorer and the 'Cats aren't a bad team. If Sconny and OSU can lose three and four games in a row in this league, so can the Gophers.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hearing too that the MRI came out negative for Andre Hollins left ankle, which is a huge break for the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/426390915557498880">January 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

Wait, its a break?!?!

Never, ever say the schedule "lightens up." Haha. I'm only joking but this is the B1G and there are 100% no gimmies. In fact, I would guess Minnesota would enter Nebraska as a toss-up or maybe slight UNDERDOG. The Huskers defeated tOSU at home and that place is beginning to become an arena no one wants to play in. Though the Bucks have had a rough go of it lately, they are still a vastly talented team in my opinion and Neb. should not be taken lightly. As for Northwestern, that is a game Minnesota will be favored, but let's not forget, the Gophers might be without their best scorer and the 'Cats aren't a bad team. If Sconny and OSU can lose three and four games in a row in this league, so can the Gophers.

So true. And especially if they are missing their leading scorer.

wow, these 2 gifs.. saved.

I'm going to have to go back and save some quotes of people commenting on how slow an worthless Malik was at the beginning of the season & how he wouldn't be able to cut it in the B1G.

I agree with what you're saying, my point was that I'd rather play without Andre in the next 4 games than I would the previous 4 we've played. Sunday's game won't be easy for sure.

I'm going to have to go back and save some quotes of people commenting on how slow an worthless Malik was at the beginning of the season & how he wouldn't be able to cut it in the B1G.

What impressed me last night was Malik's ability to drive to the basket and finish. I think he surprised Wisconsin a few times as I'm sure they looked at him strictly as a spot up shooter.

Aren't you pretending to know from you personal experience?
The fact that any low ankle sprain will be fine by March does not require any personal experience reference. His playing status for the next 3-4 weeks is the unknowable part.

Hopefully he heals up quickly and is ready to go against Northwestern (best case scenerio). But resting him for Purdue seems more likely to happen. Even if it cant be until Indiana, I'd rather have him fully recover than have him playing on a bum ankle going forward this season. The key to these next few games: Our guards need to step up and take scoring into their own hands.

People thought DeAndre wouldn't be able to drive to the hole in B1G play either

I agree with you I thought it was intentional and while I don't think he was trying to injure Dre it seemed to me like a typical kind of BADger play where you get away with whatever you can. I didn't really notice but my brother told me he saw the ref go right over to Gasser and talk to him about the play after it happened and guessing he was just warning him about it. It does happen a lot but I think it is kind of a dirty play and a play that needs stop.

I was livid the moment I saw the first replay and told my wife the guy should have been assessed at least a foul and a warning. Dirty play, all the way, and agree that it's very much in keeping with the Bo Ryan school that says you push things right up to the line. It's a way of getting in the head of a jump shooter and it's not playing the game the right way, IMO.

Felt the same way when I saw Welker veer out of his line to hit Talib's knees in the Denver/NE game last Sunday. Dirty plays.

Troll. Why on earth would you post this? Total loser.

Let's all ignore GopherinPhilly.

Please bear in mind that there is a poster with a somewhat similar screen name who is quite intelligent and entertaining. That poster has no relationship to this troll-like one and clearly should NOT be ignored.

I think this is all a grand conspiracy by the U to fool us into thinking he will be back...next announcement will be about the successful surgery to reattach his foot.

Probably not dirty, but it's definitely a foul in my opinion. No different than if he had come over and hit him in the upper body, and that would have been a foul for sure. It would be different if the defender was there the whole time but he wasn't.

Top Bottom