Injury Watch: 1/31 - Pitino: Dre out for NW and unlikely for Purdue

Gangrene has set in...amputation possible. In other news, soylent green is people!

From my angle it looked like the trainer was checking out the area between his ankle and knee, which leads me to believe high ankle sprain. I was just relieved that he wasn't focusing on the knee. ... visions of ACL were going through my head

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 2m

Andre Hollins MRI is negative. Day-to-day, source told ESPN

Injury Watch: Dre to have MRI tomorrow

Does that mean it was negative for an ankle sprain as well? Great news if so.

Probably negative for a break. Still definitely has a sprain. It'd be nice if someone could verify the location of the sprain.

My guess is a pretty bad sprain and he'll be out a few weeks. The good news is our schedule lightens up a bit now and we also have a week off in between the Nebraska and Northwestern games.

Should still probably sit for Nebraska to make sure he can get back to full strength. See Adrian Payne.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hearing too that the MRI came out negative for Andre Hollins left ankle, which is a huge break for the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/426390915557498880">January 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Next 4 games...

Jan 26 @NEB
Feb 1 vsNW
Feb 5 @PUR
Feb 8 vsIND

My guess is he misses the next two games and returns for the Purdue game. That would give him just under 2 weeks to heal up.

(Not sure about the German, it's the only one I could find.....)

Ankle injuries--even sprains--can really wreck havoc on a basketball player, especially a guard. Hoping for the best here.

Andre needs his explosiveness and lateral quickness -- hopefully it heals fully. I had a bad ankle roll in high school in the doctor recommended no sports for 6 months to let it heal completely. I still played on it since it was my senior season, but it had to be taped every game and reduced my quickness, jumping ability, and ability to defend side-to-side. I remember having painful zingers throughout the rest of the season when I'd change direction on defense or land on it after jumping.

It is interesting to learn about some of these minor injuries that players have. One of the articles said Andre had a toe injury that was bugging him this season toward the end of games. Fans can be so tough on players and sometimes we just don't fully know the challenges some of the players are dealing with injury-wise.

If he only misses a couple weeks it'll be a relief.

Nobody felt sorry for Penn State last year (Frazier), nobody's feeling sorry for Michigan (McGary) or Michigan State (Payne), and nobody's gonna' feel sorry for the Gophers. Injuries are part of the deal for everyone. Next man up.

Great news. Rest him for the next two, to make sure this doesn't become a nagging thing, and let's hope we can win without him.

Hopefully the worst will mean he has to hop to the door to pay the pizza guy. Hoping for the return against Purdue.

Ankle injuries--even sprains--can really wreck havoc on a basketball player, especially a guard. Hoping for the best here.

Andre needs his explosiveness and lateral quickness -- hopefully it heals fully. I had a bad ankle roll in high school in the doctor recommended no sports for 6 months to let it heal completely. I still played on it since it was my senior season, but it had to be taped every game and reduced my quickness, jumping ability, and ability to defend side-to-side. I remember having painful zingers throughout the rest of the season when I'd change direction on defense or land on it after jumping.

It is interesting to learn about some of these minor injuries that players have. One of the articles said Andre had a toe injury that was bugging him this season toward the end of games. Fans can be so tough on players and sometimes we just don't fully know the challenges some of the players are dealing with injury-wise.

I could literally take this and apply it word-for-word to my senior season as well. Trying to play through a badly sprained ankle is frustrating and one tweak seems to take you back to square one.

(Not sure about the German, it's the only one I could find.....)

LOL! Great call Gopher Jake! When I read the thread title this was the first thing that popped in to my head! Love it

If you look to the far end of the bench you can see Dre standing up and cheering Malik's three!

834907504.gif

834907788.gif

Even Wally looked mildly interested/excited.

Unlikely that it was a high ankle sprain, as those occur when the foot rolls outwards, causing an injury to the tissue between the tibia and fibula. I was at the game and didn't see a replay, but didn't he land on someone's foot? This is typically an inversion (ankle rolls in) sprain. Not great that he couldn't put weight on it right after, but that is great news that the MRI is negative. The MRI would be looking for torn ligaments, avulsion fractures and/or fracture. If no damage to ligaments, I would expect him to be back in a week or two.

It's highly likely we've seen Andre at full strength for the last time this season. Same thing with Payne at MSU with his plantar fasciitis. When those guys come back they'll just have to gut it out and hope for the best. Tough injuries to get all the way back to 100% while you're trying to play basketball at the same time.

Unlikely that it was a high ankle sprain, as those occur when the foot rolls outwards, causing an injury to the tissue between the tibia and fibula. I was at the game and didn't see a replay, but didn't he land on someone's foot? This is typically an inversion (ankle rolls in) sprain. Not great that he couldn't put weight on it right after, but that is great news that the MRI is negative. The MRI would be looking for torn ligaments, avulsion fractures and/or fracture. If no damage to ligaments, I would expect him to be back in a week or two.

Edit: I believe it rolled out...

It's highly likely we've seen Andre at full strength for the last time this season. Same thing with Payne at MSU with his plantar fasciitis. When those guys come back they'll just have to gut it out and hope for the best. Tough injuries to get all the way back to 100% while you're trying to play basketball at the same time.

Eh, I think Dre could get back to 100% before the NCAA's quite easily. Plantar fasciitis could be trickier for Payne if Izzo is tempted to play him during conference play.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hearing too that the MRI came out negative for Andre Hollins left ankle, which is a huge break for the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/426390915557498880">January 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Interesting choice of words. "Huge break"

Anyone else watch the replay of the injury and think the Wisc kid slid in underneath Dre after he was already in the air? Looks to me like the defender came in from the side, slid underneath. Should have been a foul, he has to give the shooter room to land.

I agree 100%. It might be different if he took 4 weeks off. But as soon as he's 75% or better, he'll play. Unfortunately, ankle sprains linger for a long time if they don't heal appropriately.

Top Bottom