Incoming Gophers QB Athan Kaliakmanis wins Gatorade Player of Year in Illinois

He had a receiver in hs highlites that would look good in Maroon and Gold.

Streveler starred at USD and has seen NFL playing time.

Nelson had a decent year at ECU and got some NFL looks. Started an AAF game I think. Calling him a success is a bit more of a stretch admittedly, but we certainly ended up with the worst QB of that trio.
So a step down in competition, thanks. Disagree that ML was the worst of the three.

Do you mean from a purely statistical perspective or just behavior. Because Philip did progress from his 1st year to 2nd.

On October 20, 2012, Nelson's redshirt was pulled after struggling starter MarQueis Gray[9] was injured the week before. Nelson's first game of his collegiate career came against the Wisconsin Badgers.[10] The Gophers lost the game but Nelson passed for two touchdowns and was also the Gophers' leading rusher in the game. Nelson started the final seven games as a true freshman at Minnesota going 2–5 and the Gophers were invited to a bowl game for the first time since 2009. They lost in the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas to Texas Tech 34–31 on December 28, 2012.[11]

In Nelson's sophomore season, he endured peaks and valleys as the starting quarterback. He played in 12 games and led the Gophers to a 4–0 record at the beginning of the season. A hamstring injury against Iowa hampered Nelson's ability to be effective against the Hawkeyes. The Gophers lost 23–7.[12] The next week against Michigan, back up quarterback Mitch Leidner took most of the reps but the Gophers were dismantled 42–13. Now on a losing streak and with ailing coach Jerry Kill watching from a private box, the Gophers hoped to get back on track against Northwestern. Leidner was replaced by a healthy Nelson in the first half of that game and the Gophers hung on for a 20–17 victory.[13] Nelson would start the next four games and lead the Gophers to three signature victories over No. 24 ranked Nebraska,[14] Indiana, and Penn State. The last two games of the season saw Nelson and Leidner split snaps as the team lost to Michigan State and then Syracuse in the Texas Bowl on December 28, 2013
This pretty much explains why Nelson lost his mud when Jerry replaced him with a crap qb like Leidner.

He had a receiver in hs highlites that would look good in Maroon and Gold.
I'm sure you're being a bit facitious, but I am excited about Dino Kaliakmanis making his presence known in the Maroon & Gold...

Hopefully after the whole Philip Nelson debacle, where fans were anointing him as the greatest QB in Gopher football history before he even stepped on campus, we have learned not to go overboard with expectations for a new player.

That said, everything about this kid screams potential superstar. Here's hoping that is how it plays out once he gets to campus. The great thing is that there isn't going to be the pressure on him to be the guy right from day one since we have great experience and leadership at the QB position.
Haters gonna hate -

1620991621589.png

Streveler starred at USD and has seen NFL playing time.

Nelson had a decent year at ECU and got some NFL looks. Started an AAF game I think. Calling him a success is a bit more of a stretch admittedly, but we certainly ended up with the worst QB of that trio.
I would like to see what would have happened with Streveler in MN but I remember my impressions of him being a bit of a gunslinger at MN. That's certainly a thing you can do and be successful with but the potential downside is so low with that ... I was nervous.

I didn't watch him much after that, i wonder if he refined his gun-slinging / was more selective about that later on.

I'm sure you're being a bit facitious, but I am excited about Dino Kaliakmanis making his presence known in the Maroon & Gold...
I am also very curious to see what Dino does when he gets here. Athan gets all the attention but Dino could end up being one of those sneaky under the radar types who turns out to be a great player for us.

Almost every qb that was behind leidner left the program. I think that is pretty telling.

He threw for 1,100 yards and 200 running with 15 TD's. They ran a pro style spread offense and he had good receivers. I believe he played in the equivalent class of 3 or 4A in MN. I think a lot of the top kids in Illinois had already headed out to their colleges. He looked good.

He threw for 1,100 yards and 200 running with 15 TD's. They ran a pro style spread offense and he had good receivers. I believe he played in the equivalent class of 3 or 4A in MN. I think a lot of the top kids in Illinois had already headed out to their colleges. He looked good.
Who would have started this past season at Totino Grace - Athan or Kristoff Kowalkowski?

It would not matter, all TG does is run the ball. It would be like placing the # 1 running back in the state on the Buffalo HS team when Bouman was throwing the ball 40-50 times per game.

My only question is: Can Kaliakmanis throw it over the mountains like Uncle Rico?

It would not matter, all TG does is run the ball. It would be like placing the # 1 running back in the state on the Buffalo HS team when Bouman was throwing the ball 40-50 times per game.
Seems weird that KK would transfer to a school like that when it doesn't match his skill set. Would he have been better off just playing for hometown Sartell?

Seems weird that KK would transfer to a school like that when it doesn't match his skill set. Would he have been better off just playing for hometown Sartell?
Who is KK? This sounds like a coach. Kowalkowski started as a 13 year old freshman for them, he probably transferred for the same reason that Athan and his brother transferred , they believed they were going to a better program. Sartell won like 3 games the last 4 years and had their best players leave. The coaching staff and kids probably promised him stuff, the problem is TG's program is no longer. Kowalski broke their passing records and only played a few games his senior year due to Covid.

Who is KK? This sounds like a coach. Kowalkowski started as a 13 year old freshman for them, he probably transferred for the same reason that Athan and his brother transferred , they believed they were going to a better program. Sartell won like 3 games the last 4 years and had their best players leave. The coaching staff and kids probably promised him stuff, the problem is TG's program is no longer. Kowalski broke their passing records and only played a few games his senior year due to Covid.
KK is easier than typing that name out on my phone. Maybe Sartell would have won more games if he stayed there? I don't follow high school football teams very closely.

Help me out with this...where did those two go and have success?
Streveler's two seasons as starting QB in the CFL from Winnipeg were pretty impressive. Those two years and his years at South Dakota illustrated he was completely misjudged by Kill's staff.

I am also very curious to see what Dino does when he gets here. Athan gets all the attention but Dino could end up being one of those sneaky under the radar types who turns out to be a great player for us.
Dino might see the field long before Athan, as in this fall. He is a very good kick return man.

Dino might see the field long before Athan, as in this fall. He is a very good kick return man.
His 100 meter PR this year is 11.3 400 meter 54. Athan high jump is 5'6 and long jump 20'7. I long jumped over 20 feet as a freshman in HS. These raw numbers do not really jump out.

Streveler's two seasons as starting QB in the CFL from Winnipeg were pretty impressive. Those two years and his years at South Dakota illustrated he was completely misjudged by Kill's staff.

Had 8 TDs and 14 INT passing his Grey Cup season.

Where did they play other than their local high school in Antioch?

A 13 year old freshman? Did he skip a grade?

Top Bottom