I'm a dumbsh!t

I dont think anyone is shocked that we struggled to rebound. I am alittle surprised that the margin was 48-22. That should never happen. There were plenty of rebounds that we should have gotten that we didnt that had nothing to do with how small we were or how big they were. Just have to work on it and get better. Time to move on!
I only saw the second half, but it looked like the rebounding disaster wasn't just a major size disadvantage for the Gophers. They were out muscled and were in poor position multiple times. Lots of chatter by announcing team about how hard it is to rebound out of the zone, but if they are going to play zone, they need to work a lot on rebounding out of it.

Will be interesting to see what happens at Wisconsin. They have a size advantage but not the strength advantage that OSU and many other B1G teams have on us.

The coaching: player preparedness, defense, in-game adjustments, time-outs ect..., at this point appear to be significantly better than Pitino. Unfortunately the results, win/loss, are similar to Pitino's. The fans are rooting for the players to do well, work hard and they have beat expectations. Gophs will periodically get an unexpected win, but ultimately the roster needs some help. Hopefully the coach can change that over the next 2 years..

I dont think anyone is shocked that we struggled to rebound. I am alittle surprised that the margin was 48-22. That should never happen. There were plenty of rebounds that we should have gotten that we didnt that had nothing to do with how small we were or how big they were. Just have to work on it and get better. Time to move on!
Yep. Found myself pissed at certain players last night. Can talk about size or experience or strength, but there were too many times where it looked like we didn't even react; we just stood there and watched. At least put your damn arms up.

Yep. Found myself pissed at certain players last night. Can talk about size or experience or strength, but there were too many times where it looked like we didn't even react; we just stood there and watched. At least put your damn arms up.
Yeah, this is true. I do wonder how much of this has to do with fatigue. We looked tired at times (like a team at the end of a long practice).

Yeah, this is true. I do wonder how much of this has to do with fatigue. We looked tired at times (like a team at the end of a long practice).
I also wondered about physical health. Battle looked off all night. Willis, the same. I just wonder if the flu has just sucked some energy out of these kids. Problem is there is no time to rest up and no depth to let that happen.
Second, we knew from game one that this team would live and die from the 3 point line. Last night...we died.
We knew from game 1 that the achilles heel of the team was physical strength and rebounding. All our lost games can be traced back to this weakness.
With that being said, I was glad to see Thompson and Ogelele (sp) get in the game and compete. Thiam may be doghoused just a bit after the poor performance at Rutgers.
The thing I am looking for is overall team improvement, which means a longer bench, not necessarily more wins. I see Ben trying to expand this teams bench. This is where I watch and hear Ben talk about process and finding balance. I think this is what Ben is doing, but it may not necessarily result in many wins. This year, and likely next year, I am fine with taking our lumps. When Thompson and crew are Juniors, I think we see the leap.

I only saw the second half, but it looked like the rebounding disaster wasn't just a major size disadvantage for the Gophers. They were out muscled and were in poor position multiple times. Lots of chatter by announcing team about how hard it is to rebound out of the zone, but if they are going to play zone, they need to work a lot on rebounding out of it.

Will be interesting to see what happens at Wisconsin. They have a size advantage but not the strength advantage that OSU and many other B1G teams have on us.
I agree. Getting outrebounded 48-22 is inexcusable, but rather than harp on its coaching or whatever, we knew this was gonna be a problem especially with curry out! Im gonna go out on a limb and say we probably wont get outrebounded again 48-22 so no need to say how terrible it was. Just need to work on it and get better as the season goes on!

I agree. Getting outrebounded 48-22 is inexcusable, but rather than harp on its coaching or whatever, we knew this was gonna be a problem especially with curry out! Im gonna go out on a limb and say we probably wont get outrebounded again 48-22 so no need to say how terrible it was. Just need to work on it and get better as the season goes on!
Will be interesting to see if this game end up being an outlier like the 28 turnover night. We aren't going to win the rebounding battle most nights but in general it has been way closer than it was last night against Ohio State.

Looking back through other games the rebounding differential has been much tighter. Clearly we need Curry back ASAP but my guess is that Johnson will get a better effort out of guys on the glass this weekend against Wisconsin.

Will be interesting to see if this game end up being an outlier like the 28 turnover night. We aren't going to win the rebounding battle most nights but in general it has been way closer than it was last night against Ohio State.

Looking back through other games the rebounding differential has been much tighter. Clearly we need Curry back ASAP but my guess is that Johnson will get a better effort out of guys on the glass this weekend against Wisconsin.
I agree. There is no way we will get outrebounded 48-22 and i definately think with the garbage rebounding effort last night that johnson will make sure there is a better effort against wisconsin!

Through their 17 games Gophers have only won the rebounding battle in 2 of the contests. They actually did a worse job overall in the Illinois game, 47-23, than the Ohio State game, 44-22, but Liddell had his way with the 8 offensive boards.

I agree about the lack of want to, aggressiveness, awareness among our bigs last night. Too much watching the other team rebound.
Daniels, Thompson, Ogele had 6 rebounds between them. They were our “bigs”.
Ihnen, Curry and Fox would do better.
Battle had 6 himself, but needed 16.

And ya, we have no big recruits other than Payne on the horizon. Might need a portal big?

100%.

There is very little correlation to winning (or losing).

In the NBA this season, there 4 of the top 10 teams in rebounding margin would be out of the playoffs today. Additionally, 6 of the bottom 10 teams in rebounding margin would be in the playoffs today.

There are really good teams with great rebounding margins, really bad teams with great rebounding margins and vice versa.
No correlation to winning/losing when giving up second and third shots on a possession? You're dead wrong there.

I don't understand basketball the way I do football (I understand FB quite well). And I've not watched a whole Gophers basketball game until this one.

That said, here's what I saw tonight:

(1) This team does not get inside.

(2) This team does not rebound.

(3) This team does not fight through screens - at all.

...And, yet, they won. So what do I know? I'm a dumbsh!t.
You certainly are if you follow the ViQueens.

I'm actually surprised we don't get really hammered on the boards more often than we do. Every team in the league is bigger/stronger than us. If they all pounded it inside and crashed the boards like Ohio State and Illinois, we'd be toast. Some teams (like Iowa and Rutgers) have been happy just bombing away. Add in a poor shooting night on our part and our indifference to offensive rebounding contributes to the rebounding differential. I sure hope we can land a portal big man to have a stronger front court rotation next year.

I'm actually surprised we don't get really hammered on the boards more often than we do. Every team in the league is bigger/stronger than us. If they all pounded it inside and crashed the boards like Ohio State and Illinois, we'd be toast. Some teams (like Iowa and Rutgers) have been happy just bombing away. Add in a poor shooting night on our part and our indifference to offensive rebounding contributes to the rebounding differential. I sure hope we can land a portal big man to have a stronger front court rotation next year.
This...exactly right. Shhhh...Don't tell the rest of our schedule you've given them a recipe for our demise. Does Jordan Murphy have any more eligibility :unsure::p

My bad… I thought this was Barn Burner publishing his autobiography

Top Bottom