If Minnesota wins next 3

I give Nebraska credit for two categories of screw ups. One is turnovers, to which you allude. But Nebraska also has an uncanny ability to take penalties at crucial junctures which kill drives and extend opponents’ drives. All team do so, of course, but Nebraska just seem to do it more and with more devastating effect.
Everything said about Huskers proclivities for self- destruction is on the record and proven. But they have talent and some Saturday it will all come together for them. And there will be hell to pay. I hope Ferentz is the one paying that price.

Everything said about Huskers proclivities for self- destruction is on the record and proven. But they have talent and some Saturday it will all come together for them. And there will be hell to pay. I hope Ferentz is the one paying that price.
I whole-hearted agree that Nebraska’s offense is likely to play a complete, relatively-mistake free game one of these Saturdays, and could tattoo some B1G West opponent. They will take out a lot of frustration if they get a decent lead. If it happens to Iowa and Kirk on their trip to Lincoln, that would of course be very special.

Iowa beats wisconsin
wisconsin loses to Northwestern OR Rutgers
Iowa also loses to northwestern

OR

Wisconsin beats Iowa.
Wisconsin loses to northwestern AND Rutgers

Minnesota would clinch in Iowa city
Would cream my shorts for this

This is pretty easy. It's better for the Gophers if Wisconsin wins. That's about the only path to a West championship that DOESN'T require a win at Iowa.
Iowa winning at Wisconsin does little for the Gophers chances.
This isn't complicated.

The Gophers could be all alone in 1st Saturday night. Case closed.
But that path without a Win at Iowa requires Nebraska to win over Iowa. I'm sorry, but I find it much more likely that we beat Iowa than Nebraska.

At the end of the day, the Gophers should strive to make it irrelevant. Win out, and the Gophers are the undisputed West champs, having beaten all other teams in the West Division.

Would cream my shorts for this
I would work on that yourself. Wisconsin will beat Iowa and so will Nebraska......the last stand for Frost and gang. No matter what, we will have to beat Wisconsin to get to indy if we do not slip up outside of Iowa.

But that path without a Win at Iowa requires Nebraska to win over Iowa. I'm sorry, but I find it much more likely that we beat Iowa than Nebraska.

At the end of the day, the Gophers should strive to make it irrelevant. Win out, and the Gophers are the undisputed West champs, having beaten all other teams in the West Division.
If Wisconsin beats Iowa, that doesn't mean the Gophers can't beat Iowa too. It just means there's a possibility they won't absolutely HAVE to.

None of it matters if the Gophers win out. We get that. But we're not discussing that. We're discussing what would be better for the Gophers if they DON'T win out. Having a one game lead is better than being tied. Full stop.

I whole-hearted agree that Nebraska’s offense is likely to play a complete, relatively-mistake free game one of these Saturdays, and could tattoo some B1G West opponent. They will take out a lot of frustration if they get a decent lead. If it happens to Iowa and Kirk on their trip to Lincoln, that would of course be very special.
It's quite likely Nebraska will be 4-7 when they play Iowa with no chance at a bowl game.

You can imagine how another losing season will play into the Husker performance with nothing on the line.

Frosty finds new ways to lose every week.

Thinking they beat Iowa is the definition of "false hope".

That's the exact opposite of the situation.
If Wisconsin and Minnesota win Saturday, the Gophers have sole possession of 1st and can win the division in multiple ways. Including not having to win at Iowa.
If Iowa wins, there is virtually no path to the division outside of winning at Iowa.
That’s exactly what I’m saying.
And that’s true even if wisconsin wins.

if wisconsin wins, the gophers probably can lose one as long as they beat wisconsin.

if Iowa wins, the gophers have to beat Iowa and wisconsin

If wisconsin beats Iowa, it requires the gophers to go unbeaten the rest of the way
False

It would require we beat Wisc at home, and that Neb beats Iowa in Lincoln.

That is just as reasonable as expecting the Gophers to win in Iowa City, quite frankly.

Sorry guys. You've all made really great points.

But my foot is down.

I can't allow the defacto West title game to take place in Iowa City.

No. Too much pressure to put on the team, in a place we really have struggled the last X years.

I found this on blackheartgoldpants. Has anyone else read this person's posts? A computer projection, and it is updated every week. Right now, their data has Minnesota as the favorite to win the West.

"With Minnesota's win and Purdue's loss, the Gilded Rodents are now favored to win the West. This remains the case even though Iowa is favored to beat Minnesota head-to-head. This tells me two things. One, Iowa's odds in that game are not overwhelming, and BizarroMath thinks Minnesota is going to finish stronger than Iowa will. Minnesota's win over Nebraska looms large here, as the Cornhuskers are favored over both Iowa and Wisconsin in BizarroMath. A lot of streaks stand poised to come to an ugly, gut-wrenching end this year, including Iowa's long streaks against both Minnesota and Nebraska.

If Iowa loses to Wisconsin this weekend, you can expect the Hawkeye to drop to 3rd or 4th place and be effectively eliminated from the B1G West hunt. What a difference two weeks can make."

TeamChamp. Odds
Minnesota47.2%
Iowa37.4%
Wisconsin5.8%
Purdue1.9%

You're out of your damn mind if you think this is even remotely possible.
Good lord, there is a zero percent chance
This is easily the most absurd idea I’ve ever read on GH.
I guarantee you that no starters will ever be rested in the game for Paul Bunyan's Axe.

Not this season, not any season.
Pass the pipe bro.
There is no way!
:ROFLMAO:

Just checking!! ✌️

In this scenario, every game matters for bowl position. Say we win the West and lose the BT championship. We want to be considered ahead of other teams in our conference.
Good point, even beyond the obvious reason they wouldn't do it!

But my foot is down.

No. Too much pressure to put on the team, in a place we really have struggled the last X years.
Regardless of what happens in the Iowa/Wisconsin game, our game in Iowa is likely to have massive title implications, even if it isn't in fact the game that would essentially clinch it. So the pressure level for that game is going to be super high no matter what.

The only way there won't be title implications attached to that game will be if we crap the bed against Northwestern and/or Illinois and take ourselves out of the race.

rest them for what? The B1G champ game?
Yes, the one likely against Ohio State in Indy.

IE, the West was played in Iowa City, and we won that game, and all the other "chalk" went the expected way, thus the outcome of the Axe was irrelevant for us going to Indy.

Regardless of what happens in the Iowa/Wisconsin game, our game in Iowa is likely to have massive title implications, even if it isn't in fact the game that would essentially clinch it. So the pressure level for that game is going to be super high no matter what.

The only way there won't be title implications attached to that game will be if we crap the bed against Northwestern and/or Illinois and take ourselves out of the race.
A very good point, as well.

My foot is still down.

But my foot is down.

I would love it! Give me another reason to head down for the game. Make it a 230 kick and lets win in the dark

I would love it! Give me another reason to head down for the game. Make it a 230 kick and lets win in the dark
Let's win in the dark ... in Mpls, and get the Axe while doing it. :)

But my foot is down.

Give me a break...

To me this says it all. Would you rather Minnesota need to win one tough game to clinch or...win two tough games or...win one tough game AND count on Scott Frost to win a tough game? No brainer to me. Go Hawks [throws up in mouth]

To me, a true champion wins the games against their rivals. Period. A champion doesn't sit around hoping someone else will lose, so that they can back into first place.

Wisconsin and Iowa are tough in 2021, but so are the Gophers. Nobody is invincible in the West. Let's win it. Seize the prize. Take it from them.

Top Bottom