If Indiana Had Played and Won All Their Cancelled Games, Would They be in the CFP?

Would Indiana with 1 loss be in CFP?

• Yes

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Commitee wanted a big name

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
No content. Just a poll.

But I, think they should be in if this had happened.

No, because they'd be the same thing as Texas A&M. A very good team, lost its only game to a CFP team, and so didn't get to play in its conf championship.

It's a "I know it sucks, but it is what it is".

I think they would be. They’d have a win against a team in a New Years 6 (Ohio state)

although there is a chance if it happened the whole big ten would be treated like the pac 12 and everyone in the conference might be 5-7 spots lower because of lack of games

Teams like Wisconsin got respect from polls and committee from the word go though

Seems like they really wanted to give ND a second shot... I'm not a big fan of that in a 4 team format.

I think they would be. They’d have a win against a team in a New Years 6 (Ohio state)

although there is a chance if it happened the whole big ten would be treated like the pac 12 and everyone in the conference might be 5-7 spots lower because of lack of games

Teams like Wisconsin got respect from polls and committee from the word go though
Bolded: a win against Ohio State??

Didn't Indiana only have 1 game cancelled? I don't think a win against Purdue would have moved the needle at all for Indiana. Oddly enough, had Cinci or Coastal beat Purdue, it would be THE feather in their cap as proof they deserve a shot.

If you're talking about from the beginning of the season, the only teams they didn't play that they would have (if no COVID) are Western Kentucky, Ball State, UCONN, Purdue and the Gophers. Ball State would have been a nice win. The Gophers would have been a decent win. But I don't think it would have been enough to get them to be ranked higher than a 1 loss Texas A&M, 1 loss Notre Dame, or potentially Cinci. Cinci would have had to have won in Nebraska.

Again, even if IU goes 11-1 in a normal season ... it doesn't matter because OSU is 12-0 and in the Big Ten champ game.

That makes IU the Big Ten version of Texas A&M.

If chickens had larger wings they could fly better.

Hypothetical situation again. Why go on and on about that?

Thought they lost to Ohio State.

No, and not only that I’m not sure if Indiana would have made the CFP undefeated and with a win over Ohio State. That’s how down on them the committee appeared.

They want the biggest name teams that sound the best every year and would have probably taken A&M with a terrible loss over Indiana.

Only way IU goes to the CFP is if OSU would have dropped 2 games so Indiana would have made and won the B1G title game. So, I would say - it depends on what OSU does more than what IU does on the field. Even without COVID, I think the playoff committee will not select 2 B1G teams unless it is OSU + UM, Penn State, or Nebraska because ratings still matter. For what it is worth, I think ND getting a playoff spot over A&M given how they closed out their season was robbing A&M.

Top Bottom