I Got a Feeling - That Today's Gonna Be a Gabe Day

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
No data, just a gut feeling (He needs some Gopher love), that Gabe shows something nice tonight, by achieving the following -

20+ PTs
50%+ form the field
3 or more made 3's

No data, just a gut feeling (He needs some Gopher love), that Gabe shows something nice tonight, by achieving the following -

20+ PTs
50%+ form the field
3 or more made 3's

Love your optimism and hope you are right. He is off to another slow start from 3.

Can anyone actually tell me why Gabe is playing more than Mash or Tre? He is awful. I'm glad he was good 2 years ago. I'm glad he's from Minnesota. But honestly he is a disaster, to me he's a 7th man you bring on if he's hot sure 25min, if he's no 10-15 is more than enough

Can anyone actually tell me why Gabe is playing more than Mash or Tre? He is awful. I'm glad he was good 2 years ago. I'm glad he's from Minnesota. But honestly he is a disaster, to me he's a 7th man you bring on if he's hot sure 25min, if he's no 10-15 is more than enough

Defense. If your big 3 are scoring, then a defensive stopper can get more time.

Love your optimism and hope you are right. He is off to another slow start from 3.

Thanks.

I'm an optimist by nature and his form looks good on FTs and 2s to me, and it just looks like he is hesitating on hi release from 3.

He might need some none social distancing with a GF to relax.

He hasnt missed a free throw is an actual reason to play him??? I mean sure i would prefer that but i have never in my life heard "well this guy makes FT so he better be playing huge minutes!"

And Gabe's "vaunted defense". What is it he does? Does he take the other teams best player and shut him down every night? No How about advanced metrics, 1.1 steals and 0.6 blocks per 40 minutes WHOAA!! For refernce, Tre is at 1.6 and 0.8. Or how about Defensive rating, career Gabe's is 104.4. Tre's for example is 100.5. For those not into advanced metrics, this is points allowed per 100 possessions. Gabe's number is AWFUL. His freshman year Gabe had an awesome 113 offensive rating, that fell to 101 last year and is at 95 this year. Im not trying to kick the kid off the team, I think hes a great kid to have, but what this infatuation is with him being good I just dont know.

There is little doubt in my mind if he was from Little Rock AK and not DeLaSalle, people would be completely in on him transferring. No one cried when Willis left last year, his numbers are almost universally better than Gabe's

His defense is even suspect. He fouled a 3 point shooter real obviously. They made threes over him while he watched. He gave them two free throws down the stretch.
He really needed to sit as well as Mashburn, Tre and Ihnen were playing.

He needs to come off the bench for a couple games. He is hurting the team.

I agree - I think, it's time for that tough talk to let Gabe know he's now on the bench and start Tre whose game is looking better and better -I don't think we lose a ton defensively with him on the floor IMO, and if we ran a 1-2-2 three quarter trap, I'd have him on the front and Carr (save him a bit) and Gach on the wings.

I'd also try and F with him mentaility and tell him he can only shoot 3s - who knows????? - maybe they'll go in finally.

The Gophers have the only shooting guard in the Big Ten who isn't trusted to dribble the ball and whose shot chart would ideally look like the shot chart for a power forward.

Seeing that you're always wrong, for the next game can you start a thread saying Gabe's gonna be a bust and go O-for from 3-point land? Give it a try, see if it helps Gabe's game :D

Hate to break it to anyone holding out, but the Gabe we knew and loved from his freshman year aint walking through that door.

He is still All-Big caliber defender and one of our 5 best players though

I agree - I think, it's time for that tough talk to let Gabe know he's now on the bench and start Tre whose game is looking better and better -I don't think we lose a ton defensively with him on the floor IMO, and if we ran a 1-2-2 three quarter trap, I'd have him on the front and Carr (save him a bit) and Gach on the wings.

I'd also try and F with him mentaility and tell him he can only shoot 3s - who knows????? - maybe they'll go in finally.
This is why you’re not a college basketball coach, and I sure hope you’re not a coach at any other level. You’d purposely try to mess with your players heads and think that would help them shoot?? Especially in a year when he’s starting to develop a game off the dribble and from the free throw line??

He took 5 shots ... what are you even evaluating?

Have you watched the Big Ten for his year?

This team may win only 2-3 games in the Big Ten.

Our ball movement would probably be 14th in the league. Klay Thompson would be hard pressed to get 5 shots on this team.

Defense has been OK. BUT - we’ve beat no one and looked pretty bad against low level competition.

Have you looked at the upcoming 8 games?

This is why you’re not a college basketball coach, and I sure hope you’re not a coach at any other level. You’d purposely try to mess with your players heads and think that would help them shoot?? Especially in a year when he’s starting to develop a game off the dribble and from the free throw line??

Never said I was a coach.

In my experience, the best coaches I had when I played sports, including collegiate baseball, pushed their players in the manner best for them. Different players respond to different motivation/tactics - I think anything which isn't going to physically hurt a player or mentally compromise their love for the sport, is fair game. Telling Gabe, he's an amazing shooter and I only want him to shoot 3s, since that's how he helps us best offensively is not a cardinal sin.

Context matters, Mr. KALSCHEUR. I routinely root for Gabe, look at the original post in this thread that I started.

Cheers!

Last edited:

20+ PTs
50%+ form the field
3 or more made 3's

Man I felt he was gonna break out too. Obviously he's struggling. I think Gabe's tough and it will happen, but man it's been rough. Hopefully last night was rock bottom for the young man. He's an incredibly hard work and gives so much in other areas, we need him on the floor. He does lose value though when he cannot become a floor spacer on the offensive end anymore thought obviously.

Honestly benching him is not only fair to Mashburn, it might take the pressure off and help him relax.

Starting a game is just a status. Playing a number of minutes and finishing a game is a different story. Mashburn is smart enough to know this. I do fail to see how pulling Gabe from the starting line up will help him relax. If anything it's another change that could press him more. Also Gabe guards the other other teams best player. Mash is a willing and nice defender no doubt, but he's a freshman and shorter than Gabe. I'd rather start Gabe for defensive purposes alone. No doubt Mash will continue to earn more minutes. He's a nice player.

Starting a game is just a status. Playing a number of minutes and finishing a game is a different story. Mashburn is smart enough to know this. I do fail to see how pulling Gabe from the starting line up will help him relax. If anything it's another change that could press him more. Also Gabe guards the other other teams best player. Mash is a willing and nice defender no doubt, but he's a freshman and shorter than Gabe. I'd rather start Gabe for defensive purposes alone. No doubt Mash will continue to earn more minutes. He's a nice player.

sorry but when you start making decisions based on the psychological impact of an individual vs. what’s best for the entire team, you’ve lost the thread. If you keep starting him cause you believe it will damage his ego, the opposite effect occurs, it will only damage it more, because it’s now become painfully obvious the coach is propping him up over more deserving players. And now this is creating more dissension in the ranks as players recognize the unfairness of it. And Gabe is put in a position where players are sniping at him over something he doesn’t control. Pitino needs to show some leadership, take some pressure off Gabe by bringing him off the bench. This way he can rebuild his confidence with less pressure to do so, and hopefully earn back his spot over time. If you’re a player you know the rules - if you’re not performing you accept what’s best for the team and accept it / use it for motivation. Hopefully he just needs a reset.

sorry but when you start making decisions based on the psychological impact of an individual vs. what’s best for the entire team, you’ve lost the thread. If you keep starting him cause you believe it will damage his ego, the opposite effect occurs, it will only damage it more, because it’s now become painfully obvious the coach is propping him up over more deserving players. And now this is creating more dissension in the ranks as players recognize the unfairness of it. And Gabe is put in a position where players are sniping at him over something he doesn’t control. Pitino needs to show some leadership, take some pressure off Gabe by bringing him off the bench. This way he can rebuild his confidence with less pressure to do so, and hopefully earn back his spot over time. If you’re a player you know the rules - if you’re not performing you accept what’s best for the team and accept it / use it for motivation. Hopefully he just needs a reset.

I didn't say you start him because of his ego or psyche. I said I fail to see how a move to the bench relaxes him and I think it'd only press him more. I said I start him because he defends the other teams best player and his defensive presence is needed with our team especially when you have Carr being god awful defensively yesterday. I feel that's still best for this team currently and it has nothing to do with being "fair". He's not hitting shots and if he continues to turn the ball over, we have a different discussion or once Mash and Tre show they can consistently be as effective at a high level. Even so I'm looking at a transfer of minutes over changing a starting line up.

Gabe is in midseason form.

That's priceless!

He took 5 shots ... what are you even evaluating?

Have you watched the Big Ten for his year?

This team may win only 2-3 games in the Big Ten.

Our ball movement would probably be 14th in the league. Klay Thompson would be hard pressed to get 5 shots on this team.

Defense has been OK. BUT - we’ve beat no one and looked pretty bad against low level competition.

Have you looked at the upcoming 8 games?

What do you mean the next 8 games? You’re the first one to mention this.

UMKC
#6 Illinois
SLU
#3 Iowa
#4 MSU
#13 Wisc
#22 OSU
at Mich

UMKC should be no problem. SLU would have likely beaten all the teams we've played so far.

This is a VERY difficult schedule for any team, especially one that doesn't move the ball very well.

UMKC
#6 Illinois
SLU
#3 Iowa
#4 MSU
#13 Wisc
#22 OSU
at Mich

UMKC should be no problem. SLU would have likely beaten all the teams we've played so far.

This is a VERY difficult schedule for any team, especially one that doesn't move the ball very well.
That, is pretty ugly. Considering you just had Johnson go down its even uglier.

3 wins in that stretch will be good, 4-4 would be awesome. At least our NET rating should go up if we can keep the games close. I'd rank the games this way in winability:
UMKC 85%
SLU 52%
@Mich 48%
#13 Wisc 47%
#22 OSU 46%
#6 Illinois 25%
#4 MSU Gabe open look from 3%
#3 Iowa Gabe contested look from 3%

People always say this, but when is the last time a bench player averaged more minutes than a starter? It does matter who starts. As for whether it will help Gabe, who knows. But it doesn't seem like it could hurt.

People always say this, but when is the last time a bench player averaged more minutes than a starter? It does matter who starts. As for whether it will help Gabe, who knows. But it doesn't seem like it could hurt.

It could hurt our defense when we start the game. Again, I'm all for Tre and Mash taking the minutes and even starting if it's best for the team, but they are not there yet imo. Mash is the closest imo personally.

Last edited:

Top Bottom