I don't know where my fandom goes from here...

For me, the measuring bar is being ranked in the top 25 – preferably at the end of the season. Since my time following the Gophers (30 years – starting while attending the U), this has happened twice – 18th in 2019 and 25th in 2014.
It's happened more than twice.

In 1999 they finished 18th in the final AP poll

In 2003 they finished 20th.

In 2019, they finished 10th.

They weren't ranked in the final AP poll in 2014 though.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. Record matters, but when the losses and wins occur matters more. If we were #18 and then lose 2 games in a row, you will drop out of the top 25 unless it is a very close loss to a top ranked team.
Lol ok

It's happened more than twice.

In 1999 they finished 18th in the final AP poll

In 2003 they finished 20th.

In 2019, they finished 10th.

They weren't ranked in the final AP poll in 2014 though.

You are correct, I was using the final CFP ranking prior to the bowls. In 2014, they dropped out due to the bowl loss for the season final AP poll.

So being ranked #18 and then dropping 2 more games (meaning they lost 3 games straight and 4 of their last 5) would not have dropped them out of the polls? I guess we can all have our own opinions.

It is encouraging that teams like Louisville, Kansas, Rutgers and Oregon State are doing so well, which means coaching still means a lot. That's the way it was when Bierman was coach - almost no recruiting then. In fact, Wes Fesler quit in 1953 saying that if he had to recruit, he would stop coaching. But with NIL, open portal, destruction of regional conferences, TV money above all, Minnesota is not likely to be competitive. Possibly an elite 40 or so will form a non-NCAA super league and Minnesota, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, and many other middling programs will drop back into a more disciplined student-athlete version of football, on a par with the likes of North Dakota State - though it may take some court cases to get free of NIL.

But a lot more crime than when I grew up there, not to mention my Congressperson, if I was still there, would be Ilhan Omar.
It is more diverse than it may have been and that is a great thing. It is also a lot larger population wise. That is a good thing. So, in other words, the Twin Cities metro area is a lot better than it used to be when we older people grew up in this area. And Gopher football beat ALL the odds and got a new stadium on campus to play in, recruit to and be respected as a B1G member in. The B1G is a lot larger deal than just a football and basketball conference, It is an affiliation of great academic & research institutions, In other words the U of M promotes growth and change.

Long ago was simply long ago. When we are blessed to live a long time change is going to come. Don't you recall the baldies and the animals? Now they were some pretty powerful groups of individuals. ;0) Murray Warmath ran a pretty tight ship. There were those high paying jobs that some football players were given that didn't really require the employee to put any time in. I guess that was pretty much accepted...(wink wink)

Congress people? You really should move that kind of talk to some other board, shouldn;t you?

Beat the stinking Boiler, Gopher!

Last edited:

Been going to games since I was 5 years old. I have been beaten down for many, many years. I usually can shrug it off, but I just canceled the Purdue trip. Just don't care enough now.
Same here.

Top Bottom