I don't know where my fandom goes from here...

For me, it's just evolved. I no longer get AS emotionally attached to outcomes but I'll be a Gopher fan forever.

If my fandom diminishes, it's probably more likely that the NCAA messes with the system so much that it's unrecognizable as college football.

That's where I'm at. If we get into some kind of demotion type scenario...I'm done.
I could handle that as long as we are same level as Wisconsin and Iowa

If we lose that, I probably never watch another college game above the D2 level again

There are reasons I prefer watching college to the nfl. If those reasons go away I don’t need to watch minor league pro football

Guys, I just need a space for my grief. Please don't roll your eyes. There is absolutely years of pain behind this post.

1991 is the last time I saw a MN sports team taste glory - I was six.

No, I don't give a shit about the Lynx.

Something about this loss feels final. Something about this loss feels like a line in the sand.

It feels like a Eulogy waiting to be written for the death of my fandom.

In terms of my sports fandom, I was down to the Gophers alone. I had given up on all pro sports teams, and I was down to the Gophers.

But something about this loss is absolutely....just, final.
I see no reason to continue to donate to NIL, I see no reason to renew my season tickets, I see no reason to tune in.

Were it not for promising a friend I'd take him to Wisconsin, I'd be done. I just am done, as a sports fan I think.

This loss is just different.

I am 14% embarassed to post this. I am still 32% inebriated. But my guys, I see no reason to TRY to find joy in this empty bottomless pit that is MN sports.

None of this matters, I realize that - and that's the peace I draw. Sports are fucking dumb, and MN just isnt't fated to ever be a contender in jack shit. It's a great place to live, just don't fall prey to cheering for sports here, it's a fallacy predicated on false hope. There are no closers here.

Posting with full knowledge I will cringe at my emotions later...and yet, I'm that kid who is stubborn and means what he says. I think...
Gopher Hockey?

Guys, I just need a space for my grief. Please don't roll your eyes. There is absolutely years of pain behind this post.

Something about this loss feels final. Something about this loss feels like a line in the sand.

In terms of my sports fandom, I was down to the Gophers alone. I had given up on all pro sports teams, and I was down to the Gophers.

I see no reason to continue to donate to NIL, I see no reason to renew my season tickets, I see no reason to tune in.

Were it not for promising a friend I'd take him to Wisconsin, I'd be done. I just am done, as a sports fan I think.

I am 14% embarassed to post this. I am still 32% inebriated. But my guys, I see no reason to TRY to find joy in this empty bottomless pit that is MN sports.

None of this matters, I realize that - and that's the peace I draw. Sports are fucking dumb, and MN just isnt't fated to ever be a contender in jack shit. It's a great place to live, just don't fall prey to cheering for sports here, it's a fallacy predicated on false hope. There are no closers here.

Posting with full knowledge I will cringe at my emotions later...and yet, I'm that kid who is stubborn and means what he says. I think...
I'm there. Minnesota sports are a tease. They bait you, they pull you in. You think this could maybe happen after all. Then reality kicks you in the ass. The Gophers (in FB or BB), the Vikings, the Twins, the Timberwolves, the Wild... they are all flirts that will cost you quite a bar tab but then they leave you alone with your thoughts and wondering what happened. MN sports are similar to the notion of the state ever voting republican again in a presidential election. Not gonna happen.

I've been thinking about this today, and here's what I came up with - specifically dealing with Gopher Football.

going back to Warmath, in my lifetime, the Gophers have been an average team. some years are a little above average - some years are a little below average - but it always seems to come back to the middle.

I know Fleck has won a few more games, but in the big picture - conference or division titles, major Bowl Games, it really isn't that much different than Gutekunst, Stoll, Holtz, Mason, Kill or Claeys. some years a little better, some years not as good.

Salem, Wacker and Brewster - below average. the rest of them - somewhere near average.

so I am left with the choice - to follow the Gophers or not to follow the Gophers. and I choose to follow them. But I no longer have great expectations. especially going into the new iteration of the B1G.

and maybe that's not so bad. If I start the season understanding that they're not going to win the conference or go to a New Year's Day bowl game, I can appreciate the games for what they are. as long as they win 6 games and go to some kind of Bowl Game, I can live with it. If they can beat IA or WI every now and then, even better. for me, the games are entertainment - no more, no less.

I've been thinking about this today, and here's what I came up with - specifically dealing with Gopher Football.

going back to Warmath, in my lifetime, the Gophers have been an average team. some years are a little above average - some years are a little below average - but it always seems to come back to the middle.

I know Fleck has won a few more games, but in the big picture - conference or division titles, major Bowl Games, it really isn't that much different than Gutekunst, Stoll, Holtz, Mason, Kill or Claeys. some years a little better, some years not as good.

Salem, Wacker and Brewster - below average. the rest of them - somewhere near average.

so I am left with the choice - to follow the Gophers or not to follow the Gophers. and I choose to follow them. But I no longer have great expectations. especially going into the new iteration of the B1G.

and maybe that's not so bad. If I start the season understanding that they're not going to win the conference or go to a New Year's Day bowl game, I can appreciate the games for what they are. as long as they win 6 games and go to some kind of Bowl Game, I can live with it. If they can beat IA or WI every now and then, even better. for me, the games are entertainment - no more, no less.
I would say that’s pretty healthy way of looking at it.
If you go in expecting Mn should win a championship every year you should probably pick a new team or seek counseling because you’re going to be stressed.

As part of being average, sometimes you rise above. Since 1990 there have been some opportunities to win the conference. Hopefully one year they break through.

2016 (though I’m not sure they win the tiebreak even if they beat Wisconsin, I can’t remember)

All years they are one game away from playing for it (or one away from winning it in 1999 and 2003).

I think mason, Kill, and fleck are all slightly above average coaches. And you roll with them until you don’t think they have the possibility of having a breakthrough season anymore.
I’m losing confidence in fleck but I don’t want to make a change yet.

If your fandom depends entirely on winning, the Gophers aren't the right team for you. Maybe cheer for Ohio State?

Since you bailed on the Vikings, just FYI, you missed a helluva ballgame today.

For the Gophers, I have long given up hope of winning a B1G title. I don’t even have the expectation of winning a West or “Leaders and Legends” title (especially with the expanded B1G). For me, the measuring bar is being ranked in the top 25 – preferably at the end of the season. Since my time following the Gophers (30 years – starting while attending the U), this has happened twice – 18th in 2019 and 25th in 2014. I really don’t think this is too much to ask of the team and coach. For Fleck, this has happened in 4 seasons. I think one of the reasons why people look fondly on Mason is that he did this regularly in-season; he had a string of 6 appearances in 7 seasons even. Now, a big part of this was scheduling cupcakes to start the season – but at least it made it interesting on a national scale as a fan.

I have lived in Vietnam for the past decade – so, football is not big here much less college football (dwarfed by interest in Aussie rules, Rugby, and soccer) and I can tell you there are precisely zero fans outside of myself that even know the University of Minnesota or the Gophers. It also makes it difficult being a fan with a 12-hour time shift and waking up for games with a 2:30am start time takes some dedication.

This is what makes this season so tiring to watch – and to be frank – I stopped caring this year after the stomping by Michigan (one of the schools with an alumni base here). I have a feeling the stomping by tOSU will be on the same level. It just shows has vastly far away we are from being relevant – but also – how far we are away from being a top 25 team now. Even with the historically terrible West with Nebraska, Iowa, and UW all sucking in the same season, we are incapable of doing anything. To me, this shows a lack of commitment on the part of the university and the coaching staff – so, asking me as a fan to settle for average, at best, isn’t something that I am interested in any longer. Sadly, I think PJ’s best year has already occurred. He will not be gifted another weak schedule like that again and I don’t think we will ever have 2 NFL quality WRs and another Mo at the same time. So, even the Top 25 ranking seems like a pipedream at this point. I will still tune in and watch a game if it means I can wake up at a normal time, but I am not going out of my way anymore to watch this on-field product – it is just not worth the effort. So, after 30+ years, I think I have finally learned my lesson and will dedicate a more appropriate mindshare to the Gophers going forward.

For the Gophers, I have long given up hope of winning a B1G title. I don’t even have the expectation of winning a West or “Leaders and Legends” title (especially with the expanded B1G). For me, the measuring bar is being ranked in the top 25 – preferably at the end of the season. Since my time following the Gophers (30 years – starting while attending the U), this has happened twice – 18th in 2019 and 25th in 2014. I really don’t think this is too much to ask of the team and coach. For Fleck, this has happened in 4 seasons. I think one of the reasons why people look fondly on Mason is that he did this regularly in-season; he had a string of 6 appearances in 7 seasons even. Now, a big part of this was scheduling cupcakes to start the season – but at least it made it interesting on a national scale as a fan.

I have lived in Vietnam for the past decade – so, football is not big here much less college football (dwarfed by interest in Aussie rules, Rugby, and soccer) and I can tell you there are precisely zero fans outside of myself that even know the University of Minnesota or the Gophers. It also makes it difficult being a fan with a 12-hour time shift and waking up for games with a 2:30am start time takes some dedication.

This is what makes this season so tiring to watch – and to be frank – I stopped caring this year after the stomping by Michigan (one of the schools with an alumni base here). I have a feeling the stomping by tOSU will be on the same level. It just shows has vastly far away we are from being relevant – but also – how far we are away from being a top 25 team now. Even with the historically terrible West with Nebraska, Iowa, and UW all sucking in the same season, we are incapable of doing anything. To me, this shows a lack of commitment on the part of the university and the coaching staff – so, asking me as a fan to settle for average, at best, isn’t something that I am interested in any longer. Sadly, I think PJ’s best year has already occurred. He will not be gifted another weak schedule like that again and I don’t think we will ever have 2 NFL quality WRs and another Mo at the same time. So, even the Top 25 ranking seems like a pipedream at this point. I will still tune in and watch a game if it means I can wake up at a normal time, but I am not going out of my way anymore to watch this on-field product – it is just not worth the effort. So, after 30+ years, I think I have finally learned my lesson and will dedicate a more appropriate mindshare to the Gophers going forward.
It would really interesting to know what people would think of fleck if everything was the same in terms of schedule and results but the top two teams in the conference go to the big ten title game instead of the two division champs.

The knock on fleck is he loses a game or two that prevents him from winning the west. What if he was 11-2 and in a 3 way tie with penn state and Wisconsin and Wisconsin went in 2019

3-4
9-4 but Ohio state went instead of Iowa
9-4 but Ohio state went instead of Purdue
5-4

Would people feel differently or the same?

It would really interesting to know what people would think of fleck if everything was the same in terms of schedule and results but the top two teams in the conference go to the big ten title game instead of the two division champs.

The knock on fleck is he loses a game or two that prevents him from winning the west. What if he was 11-2 and in a 3 way tie with penn state and Wisconsin and Wisconsin went in 2019

3-4
9-4 but Ohio state went instead of Iowa
9-4 but Ohio state went instead of Purdue
5-4

Would people feel differently or the same?
Frankly, I think it has the potential to make it worse - not better. Could you imagine if in 2019, we win the West and then face tOSU in the title game? I would image we would have been smashed and then went into a game - not vs. Auburn (who had nothing to play for) and would maybe have not won that and finished outside the top 25 (I think we would have played vs. #7 Oregon). For us, we think winning the West is a big feat - but the reality is that it is the tallest midget contest given the disparity between the East and West. Even 'going to the Rose Bowl' is less meaningful now because it happens even if you don't win the conference. I think if we actually won the West, we would realize how mediocre that goal was to begin with - but, we don't realize it until we can actually win it. Unfortunately, we will never be able to test that theory.

Frankly, I think it has the potential to make it worse - not better. Could you imagine if in 2019, we win the West and then face tOSU in the title game? I would image we would have been smashed and then went into a game - not vs. Auburn (who had nothing to play for) and would maybe have not won that and finished outside the top 25 (I think we would have played vs. #7 Oregon). For us, we think winning the West is a big feat - but the reality is that it is the tallest midget contest given the disparity between the East and West. Even 'going to the Rose Bowl' is less meaningful now because it happens even if you don't win the conference. I think if we actually won the West, we would realize how mediocre that goal was to begin with - but, we don't realize it until we can actually win it. Unfortunately, we will never be able to test that theory.
I mean to win the west they would’ve had to beat Wisconsin or Iowa.
Had been 11-1 with two top 20 wins including a top 8 win.

Even if they got blown out by Ohio state in the big ten title game and then blown out in a bowl game they still would’ve probably finished about 10-15th with a 11-3 record.
Wisconsin did exactly that but had more losses during regular season and finished 13th at 10-4. I’m guessing if the gophers had won one more game to make BTT then lost BTT and bowl they would’ve finished at 12th with notre dame 10th and Baylor 11th.

Quite frankly your analysis of the polls is insane. 9-5 Virginia finished ranked and you think and 11-3 Minnesota would maybe fall out?

I gave up Gopher Basketball a few years ago and I haven't missed despite it being my favorite team. After yesterday I will start watching good college teams play good college football. That will not happen here.

I can relate quite a bit to the OP. I had a long post written out, but I know some don't like to read those. I've tried to step away from Gopher Basketball unsuccessfully. When the administration kept Pitino on board for 8 years despite a conference winning percentage that was something like 36% and then decided the replacement should be his former assistant coach...they were screaming at me that they didn't care. Why should I? Why can't I just completely leave it behind? Football, while much more successful, is stating to feel the same way. Never winning the West is beyond pathetic. This year we needed to hold on to a 31-10 2nd half lead to beat an interim head coach of a program that hadn't won a conference game in more than a calander year and prevent a backup QB entering the game cold from going 85 yards in 1:25 with no timeouts...with his first play being a 4th and 11. How are you not 5-1 in conference play right now and a near lock to go to Indy? This season was everything but gift wrapped to us with the QB injuries and general turmoil around the rest of the B1G West and we gave it away. I don't see the point in devoting 3 hours on a weekend to a team that is never going to win anything...but I also don't know how to stop caring either. As long as we keep comparing the results of Gopher coaches to past failed Gopher coaches instead of peer programs in the Big Ten, I don't know how anything changes. Being the best Gopher coach in 60 years means nothing if the previous holder of that title is Glen Mason or Jerry Kill.

Here's how it goes (at least, I hope):

- we beat Purdue, because everyone is, they are a rebuilding project this year

- we lose to Ohio State, really nothing more needs to be said about that

- season comes down to coming home and beating Wisc to keep the Axe

I for one, at this point, hope that Iowa then goes to Indy to take the beating.

We go to the Music City bowl and beat some half-ass, half-hearted effort SEC team, like Iowa did to Kentucky last year, and call it a year at 8-5.

All told, not the worst that could have happened.

We move on, and hope for better next year.

@EG#9 yeah, the last part about comparing to ourselves instead of our peers is a striking statement. It does seem true, and something that needs to change.

Wisconsin fired Chryst/Leonhard for that buyout and went out and hired Fickell for $8M a year or whatever it was.

That seems like something that is literally impossible to fathom here. Not just because of the gumption it would require, but because we have no rich people who care about Gopher football who could convince/fund such a move.

No rich people to pay for NIL. Maybe the "bake sale on steroids" play works, we'll see.

Mrs Bayfield has diagnosed me with a chronic disease called Gopher-itis!

I'll still be a fan until NIL and free agenc...er, I mean, the transfer portal deems it too disgusting.
We were mad after the Bowling Green loss and asked the same questions.
We were mad after the Purdue loss and asked the same questions.
We were mad after the Northwestern loss and asked the same questions.
We were mad after the Illinois loss (take your pick) and asked the same questions.
After all of that, we always come back. It takes a special person to be a Gopher fan. We know how we roll.

Same

It’s really tough because we have the Vikings, in a league with extreme parity in access to incoming, young talent.

Lot of great players would never voluntarily choose to come to Minnesota to play, if they had a choice.

That’s the opposite of college football, and what we constantly fight an uphill battle against.

I mean to win the west they would’ve had to beat Wisconsin or Iowa.
Had been 11-1 with two top 20 wins including a top 8 win.

Different assumptions. I assume that IA or WI lost more than they did so we sneak into the game with the same 10-2 record.

Quite frankly your analysis of the polls is insane. 9-5 Virginia finished ranked and you think and 11-3 Minnesota would maybe fall out?
We entered the Auburn game at #18. So, assuming all else would have been the same, we would have entered the B1G championship game at #18. Assuming we lose to tOSU, we would drop in the polls. If we got our doors blow off (we were a good team, but tOSU was still better), we probably hover around 22-25 at a 10-3 record. If we play Oregon, chances are that we lose that game too. So, we likely end the season at 10-4, having lost 3 games straight and out of the polls. Granted, maybe we beat Oregon of tOSU and we end on a high note, but I think the more likely outcome would have been 10-4.

Different assumptions. I assume that IA or WI lost more than they did so we sneak into the game with the same 10-2 record.

We entered the Auburn game at #18. So, assuming all else would have been the same, we would have entered the B1G championship game at #18. Assuming we lose to tOSU, we would drop in the polls. If we got our doors blow off (we were a good team, but tOSU was still better), we probably hover around 22-25 at a 10-3 record. If we play Oregon, chances are that we lose that game too. So, we likely end the season at 10-4, having lost 3 games straight and out of the polls. Granted, maybe we beat Oregon of tOSU and we end on a high note, but I think the more likely outcome would have been 10-4.
even at 10-4 that’s a lock for top 25
5 loss Virginia was in the poll

I understand everything you wrote -- except Minnesota being a great place to live -- although that was true once. Be well.
I enjoy living in Minnesota. Much entertainment to choose from. Enjoy the outdoor activities year around, and many good people here. What don't you like about Minnesota that was better before and not now?

even at 10-4 that’s a lock for top 25
5 loss Virginia was in the poll
Sorry, but I completely disagree. Record matters, but when the losses and wins occur matters more. If we were #18 and then lose 2 games in a row, you will drop out of the top 25 unless it is a very close loss to a top ranked team.

Being a Minnesota sports fan isn’t easy. I’m in the Seattle area and they just have a Seahawks championship from a few years ago that they can hang their hat on. You get your hopes up for me especially with the Twins and Vikings. I’m realistic about the gophers. But I have to say that 97 final four run was probably the funnest time I had with sports. Just give me a little something to hang my hat on please.

I enjoy living in Minnesota. Much entertainment to choose from. Enjoy the outdoor activities year around, and many good people here. What don't you like about Minnesota that was better before and not now?
I shouldn't have made that remark on a sports site.

Top Bottom