I can't believe I'm rooting for Coach Thuggins

I'll pull for Huggy Bear over Coach K/Duke any day of the week. I hope Huggy Bear's squad kicks the living crap out of Dickie V's favorite team.

I'll pull for Huggy Bear over Coach K/Duke any day of the week. I hope Huggy Bear's squad kicks the living crap out of Dickie V's favorite team.

Huggs' Bearcats are one of only 2 teams to beat the 1999 Duke team. Their other L was in NC game to UConn, led by Khalid El-Amin at PG.

Adding 1 More (Sort Of) Lorenzo Romar (Per Charleston WV Media)

... Two decades ago when Huggins was just starting to build a stellar program at Cincinnati, Romar, a former guard for the Huskies who spent five years in the NBA, was playing and coaching for an Athletes in Action team based in Cincinnati.

He took several courses at UC to help finish his degree. He went to class with some of Huggins' Bearcat players. He was an invited guest, regularly, to Huggins' practices. He even went to the UC hoops banquet one year...

It is taking every bit of restraint in my body to not call you a name

FOT thinks Bill Self is ugly!

How's them for fightin words?

FOT thinks Bill Self is ugly!

How's them for fightin words?

Actually, I think Self is one of the Top 5 coaches active today.

Coach K, Roy Williams, Izzo, Calipari, and Self = the Top 5 HC.

I don't know Self. A friend of mine has a son (Lucas Johnson) who played for him at Illinois. Lucas loved his time at U of IL.

You're right, he brings up a lot of emotion in me. There are few coaches that I simply don't believe should be in college ball, and he's one of them. I don't think you need to compromise a school's integrity when hiring a coach to win, Tom Izzo is proof of that over and over and over again. There are a number of coaches I don't particularly like, but can admit they are good college coaches and suited for the game. Huggins is not one of those, I will admit he's a good coach, he knows the game, but he's not someone I would want anywhere near U.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised if I were hiring and firing coaches, I hate losing, and I hate being mediocre just as much.

The "thank goodness" remark was not directed so much at you in particular as it was an expression of my gratitude that fans' emotions (and personal opinions) do not enter into most institutions' thinking when they interview and hire coaches. I'm perfectly happy if WVa decided Huggins fit the bill for them and hold no grudges for what happened in the past. I assume WVa wanted a big time coach, but I also assume it considered the past and had reason to believe things would work out. It may be a weakness, but I simply cannot sustain dislike over an extended period of time and am probably too content to let whomever is most involved (the school) make their own decisions. Following that, my normal reaction is to respect what they've done until things deteriorate. I'm just not much for labeling individuals as unfit for all situations withing a given sphere of influence.

Top Bottom