I can't believe I'm rooting for Coach Thuggins

I just love seeing that dirtbag, Calipari, go down.

I hope the T-Wolves can get John Wall.

I don't like Huggins, but boy do I hate Calipari.

I've been saying since January that there is no way UK gets to the Final Four :D

It's probably all for the best. At least UK won't have to unhang any banners when this season is vacated.

Maybe Darnell Dodson can give his deposition in the Mbakwe case now.

I'm feeling optimistic about the gophers next year. Tubby stays on board. We land Cory Joseph and Maurice Walker. Maybe we will be watching the gophers in the elite 8 next year. (can you tell I've had a few beers tonight?) :drink:

As I watch Kentucky get eliminated from the NCAA tournament, I feel like the '72 Dolphins watching the last undefeated team drop in the NFL. Champagne anyone?

Take solace Cat fans....vacating an Elite Eight appearance is less painful than a Final Four appearance.

Obviously it's a huge shock that a Big East team has actually made it to the final four... but, Huggy Bear is now 8-1 against Coach Cal. I wonder if Thuggins will celebrate by puking in his car again tonight...

Calipari ... when facing Huggins before today:
Year Score
1993 53-64 (L)
1994 74-76 (L)
2001 65-66 (L)
2001 79-89 (L)
2002 75-80 (L)
2003 67-48 (W)
2004 79-83 (L)

Like Huggins or not, they'll say he benefitted from freaky shooting, but he out-coached Calipari tonight.

I feel dirty. The meltdown on catspause would be epic, though.

It has been pretty epic over there. I scanned over there just to see what kinds of ridiculousness I would find and I saw posts that claimed this tourney champion will be irrevelant, that rules need to be changed to outlaw the zone defense, and that the tournament format should be modified for double elimination. And that was just over a few minutes of looking. Those folks are good for comic gold whenever a Kentucky team blows it. :clap:

mrj

It has been pretty epic over there. I scanned over there just to see what kinds of ridiculousness I would find and I saw posts that claimed this tourney champion will be irrevelant, that rules need to be changed to outlaw the zone defense, and that the tournament format should be modified for double elimination. And that was just over a few minutes of looking. Those folks are good for comic gold whenever a Kentucky team blows it. :clap:

True.

However I have found comic gold at every team's blog I have checked during a time of crisis, from Virginia, to Georgia Tech, Oregon and yes, even here at the GH.

Fans are indeed fanatical!

:)

True.

However I have found comic gold at every team's blog I have checked during a time of crisis, from Virginia, to Georgia Tech, Oregon and yes, even here at the GH.

Good point and very true. I just have noticed that Kentucky folks seem to be at the very top in regards of irrational responses. :)

mrj

Good point and very true. I just have noticed that Kentucky folks seem to be at the very top in regards of irrational responses. :)

Yup.

As they would likely say themselves, "everything is BIGGER at UK!"

:D

I feel dirty. The meltdown on catspause would be epic, though.

Me and my wife thought the same thing; worse yet, she hates West Virginia U (she's a Virginia Tech grad), yet was cheering to see them win. So strange, looks like Calipari brings out the worst in most basketball fans. Thug Calipari hated more than Thuggins.

True.

Yep - I always look for the thread on the refs after MN loses by 30. Those are my favorites.

Huggs' players LOVE him. WVU fans do, too.

The Thuggins moniker is nonsense.

Are you kidding me? A guy that's suppose to be a mentor for young man and he not only gets a DUI - but he vomits on INSIDE of his car, is so drunk he can hardly walk, much less take a breathalyzer test? This is just one of his black marks...a zero percent graduation rate for four years at Cincy may have even been worse.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1820078

I could care less if anyone likes him, he's a T.H.U.G. This man has no place in education and college basketball. How can you worship a coach like Tubby, and stick up for guys like this. Complete loss of any credibility you may of had.

I'm glad Kentucky is gone, but no way will I cheer for a coach like this in the next round.

Are you kidding me? A guy that's suppose to be a mentor for young man and he not only gets a DUI - but he vomits on INSIDE of his car, is so drunk he can hardly walk, much less take a breathalyzer test? This is just one of his black marks...a zero percent graduation rate for four years at Cincy may have even been worse.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1820078

I could care less if anyone likes him, he's a T.H.U.G. This man has no place in education and college basketball. How can you worship a coach like Tubby, and stick up for guys like this. Complete loss of any credibility you may of had.

I'm glad Kentucky is gone, but no way will I cheer for a coach like this in the next round.

Seems you only know the media Huggins and not the real one.

Huggins was taking medication (then and now) for his heart that reacts VIOLENTLY with alcohol. That's why he vomited.

The ZERO percent graduation rate is also baloney. He graduated 36 (of 84) lettermen - those who earned varsity letters under him - at UC. That's 40% not ZERO.

Facts trump perception. You're no better than those who spread false rumors about Tubby. Research the facts before you believe what you read in the media.

It's really unbelievable how gullible people can be. Print it in the paper, or say it on TV, and it's indisputable.

Huggins was taking medication (then and now) for his heart that reacts VIOLENTLY with alcohol. That's why he vomited.

The ZERO percent graduation rate is also baloney. He graduated 36 (of 84) lettermen - those who earned varsity letters under him - at UC. That's 40% not ZERO.

Facts trump perception. You're no better than those who spread false rumors about Tubby. Research the facts before you believe what you read in the media.

It's really unbelievable how gullible people can be. Print it in the paper, or say it on TV, and it's indisputable.

PS he has graduated EVERY senior in 1 year at K-St (2007) and 2 years at WVU (2008 and 2009). All WVU seniors are on target to graduate in 2010 also. He graduated 92% of his players at Akron and Walsh prior to UC.

Don't pretend this is another coach that you are close personal friends with. I said in 4 years, please READ what I wrote. And I did check my facts, 27 out of 95 players - which to me, is not acceptable. . But I'm sure you'll debate this too:

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/story/bob_huggins_just_win_baby

I get that he had a heart attack, I also get that he still eats like crap, doesn't sleep, and drinks. Watch the video from the DUI arrest, and don't give me that he wasn't drunk...that's not being gullible, it's not spinning things in a crazy way that you do. Even if your world of perception and not reality - do you think it's an idiotic move to drink while taking a medication that interacts with alcohol? You probably don't, you see no flaws in the people you worship.

Even with all of Huggins' baggage, I'd still cheer for him any day of the week over Cal.

GL, while you're certainly entitled to dislike any coach you like (is that possible?), thank goodness you don't hire or fire any of them. Too much unchecked emotion for me. I mean, 27 of 95 is not 0%, although admittedly I did not read your post in a careful manner and could have incorrectly interpreted that figure.
I agree with your assessment of Huggins as role model, but people rehabilitate, are extended second and third chances and sometimes respond well to those opportunities. My assessment is that the institution is better suited to decide if a particular coach is or is not an appropriate fit. Beyond that, neither you nor FOT nor I will have the last word on Huggins' legacy as coach and person. That will be history's responsibility.

GL, while you're certainly entitled to dislike any coach you like (is that possible?), thank goodness you don't hire or fire any of them. Too much unchecked emotion for me. I mean, 27 of 95 is not 0%, although admittedly I did not read your post in a careful manner and could have incorrectly interpreted that figure.
I agree with your assessment of Huggins as role model, but people rehabilitate, are extended second and third chances and sometimes respond well to those opportunities. My assessment is that the institution is better suited to decide if a particular coach is or is not an appropriate fit. Beyond that, neither you nor FOT nor I will have the last word on Huggins' legacy as coach and person. That will be history's responsibility.

You're right, he brings up a lot of emotion in me. There are few coaches that I simply don't believe should be in college ball, and he's one of them. I don't think you need to compromise a school's integrity when hiring a coach to win, Tom Izzo is proof of that over and over and over again. There are a number of coaches I don't particularly like, but can admit they are good college coaches and suited for the game. Huggins is not one of those, I will admit he's a good coach, he knows the game, but he's not someone I would want anywhere near U.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised if I were hiring and firing coaches, I hate losing, and I hate being mediocre just as much.

Don't pretend this is another coach that you are close personal friends with. I said in 4 years, please READ what I wrote. And I did check my facts, 27 out of 95 players - which to me, is not acceptable. . But I'm sure you'll debate this too:

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/story/bob_huggins_just_win_baby

I get that he had a heart attack, I also get that he still eats like crap, doesn't sleep, and drinks. Watch the video from the DUI arrest, and don't give me that he wasn't drunk...that's not being gullible, it's not spinning things in a crazy way that you do. Even if your world of perception and not reality - do you think it's an idiotic move to drink while taking a medication that interacts with alcohol? You probably don't, you see no flaws in the people you worship.

I'll post the names of the 36 graduates later today. Again the media got both numbers wrong. I said 36 of 84 LETTERMEN graduated from UC under Huggins. Those are both factual from UC.

You said ZERO, now you're saying NOT ACCEPTABLE. I just said NOT zero.

Yes, I know Coaches Huggins, Kennedy, Martin, and Asalley from their UC coaching days. I know both Andys better than the others.

Huggs was drunk in 2004. He vomited all over the car because of interaction with medicine. He may drink a glass of wine but no longer drinks like that.

BTW the 95 number includes walk-ons who suited up for parts of season(s) at UC under Huggs but never earned a varsity letter.

He had 84 lettermen over 16 years at UC. And 36 of them graduated from UC.

I'm glad that history will judge him. History is a lot fairer judge than others.

I'll post the names of the 36 graduates later today. Again the media got both numbers wrong. I said 36 of 84 LETTERMEN graduated from UC under Huggins. Those are both factual from UC.

You said ZERO, now you're saying NOT ACCEPTABLE. I just said NOT zero.

Yes, I know Coaches Huggins, Kennedy, Martin, and Asalley from their UC coaching days. I know both Andys better than the others.

Huggs was drunk in 2004. He vomited all over the car because of interaction with medicine. He may drink a glass of wine but no longer drinks like that.

It is taking every bit of restraint in my body to not call you a name, so I will once again say (in case you are unable to read for some reason) I said:

a zero percent graduation rate for four years at Cincy may have even been worse.

I did not edit my post, this was the original one. And if you think that not graduating a kid for 4 years is okay, then we obviously have a very separate set of values. And yes, that is NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!!

And by the way, I also "know" Bill Self, Mark Few, Billy Gillespie, Bo Ryan, Jim Boeheim...the list goes on and on of coaches that I have met...I probably know them as well as you know your close, personal friends. Either way, I'm done with this - that's what ignore lists are for.

I'll be cheering for Duke. :)

I will be too - harder than ever. FOT has a way of getting you to hate coaches he defends...it didn't work with Tubby, but his constant Cliff Clavinisms almost got me to that point of pure annoyance.

I'll post the names of the 36 graduates later today. Again the media got both numbers wrong. I said 36 of 84 LETTERMEN graduated from UC under Huggins. Those are both factual from UC. You said ZERO, now you're saying NOT ACCEPTABLE. I just said NOT zero.

Here are the (36) UC graduates/basketball lettermen from the Huggins era. And (12) were 4-year scholarship players from HS. Asterisk * 4 year scholarship player

But only 9 "counted" as UC graduates by NCAA method = HS recruits entering UC on scholarship and graduating within (6) years. JuCo players, Div I transfers, walk-ons who earned scholarships DON'T COUNT per NCAA.

(Existing UC player) *Levertis Robinson
(Same) *Keith Starks
(Same) Andre Tate – JuCo
(walk-on) Steve Sanders – football scholarship, basketball walk-on who became starter, beat U
(1989 recruit) BJ Ward – JuCo
(1989 transfer) Jeff Scott – Div I transfer
(1990 recruit) *Curtis Bostic
(1990 transfer) Anthony Buford – Div I transfer
(1990 recruit) Mike Reicheneker – JuCo
(1991 recruit) Erik Martin – JuCo
(1991 recruit) Terry Nelson – JuCo
(1991 recruit) Corie Blount – JuCo
(1992 recruit) *Keith Gregor
(1993 recruit) *Jackson Julson
(1994 transfer) Keith LeGree – Div I transfer
(walk-on) Brent Petrus – football scholarship, basketball walk-on
(1995 recruit) *Ryan Fletcher
(1995 recruit) *Melvin Levett
(1995 recruit) Rod Monroe – JuCo
(1995 recruit) Terrence Davis – JuCo
(1997) Alex Meacham – walk-on, earned scholarship
(1998 recruit)*Donald Little
(1999 recruit) *Lenny Stokes (2 degrees)
(2000 recruit) *Field Williams
(2000 recruit) *Rod Flowers
(2000) Rodney Crawford – JuCo walk-on, earned scholarship
(2001 recruit) *Jason Maxiell
(2001 recruit) Taron Barker – JuCo
(2001 recruit) Jimmy Hubbard (2 degrees) – JuCo
(2001 recruit) Derek Hollman – JuCo
(2001) Jamaal Lucas – walk-on, earned scholarship
(2001) John Meeker – walk-on, earned scholarship
(2002 recruit) *Eric Hicks – 2006
(2002 recruit)*Chadd Moore – 2006
(2002 recruit)*Armein Kirkland – 2006
(1996 recruit) D’Juan Baker – JuCo (2006)

Totals = 36 graduates

(15) HS recruits
(13) JuCo recruits
(3) Div I transfers
(5) walk-ons

(28) blacks
(8) whites

It is taking every bit of restraint in my body to not call you a name, so I will once again say (in case you are unable to read for some reason) I said:

a zero percent graduation rate for four years at Cincy may have even been worse.

I did not edit my post, this was the original one. And if you think that not graduating a kid for 4 years is okay, then we obviously have a very separate set of values. And yes, that is NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!!

And by the way, I also "know" Bill Self, Mark Few, Billy Gillespie, Bo Ryan, Jim Boeheim...the list goes on and on of coaches that I have met...I probably know them as well as you know your close, personal friends. Either way, I'm done with this - that's what ignore lists are for.

I will be too - harder than ever. FOT has a way of getting you to hate coaches he defends...it didn't work with Tubby, but his constant Cliff Clavinisms almost got me to that point of pure annoyance.

The ZERO percent rate for 4 years at UC is also FALSE. Huggins graduated at least one player every year from 1990 through 2005 at UC.

Top Bottom