How would you handle Trevor's situation if you were the AD?

Tater

f.k.a. "Tubtastic"
Reaction score
With "d-day" fast approaching for Maturi's decision on Trevor, I thought I toss out a discussion topic:

What would you do if you were the U's AD? There's no right or wrong answer -- just interested in ideas on how and why you'd address a very difficult decision.

By way of background, here's the limited info that's been reported at the moment:
(1) Trevor is charged with felony assault for which he's pleaded not guilty;
(2) According to the Miami Dade website, it looks like his trial is currently scheduled for 12/14/09;
(3) The media has reported that Trevor's attorney might try to push trial to a later date after the basketball season has ended; and
(4) There have been reports that Trevor has multiple alibi witnesses who place him away from the scene of the alleged assault.

If I were AD, based on this limited info and the fact that Trevor has an absolute defense--that is, he supposedly claims no involvement at all--and that Trevor has multiple alibis, I think I'd initially clear him to play the non-conference schedule pending the result of his trial in December, provided the trial goes forward in December. This decision
(1) gives Trevor the benefit of the doubt;
(2) is easily distinguishable from a situation such as the one involving the football players (where the players, even before they were on trial, were undeniably involved in a very negative situation with the victim that very negatively reflected on the U);
(3) allows Trevor to play non-conference games that, for the most part, won't be nationally televised and won't lead to repeated negative exposures for the U, Trevor, and the basketball program; and
(4) allows the U to justify its position after December depending on how the trial turns out. If Trevor is found not guilty, the U is vindicated for allowing him to play. If Trevor is found guilty, the U can say it was giving him the benefit of the doubt (which it would have been doing) and still have the ability remove him from the team prior to Big Ten play and increased national exposure.

Should the trial get rescheduled to the end of the year, I think I might tell Tubby to red-shirt him and not allow him to play the conference schedule. I'd let both Tubby and Trevor know that this was my plan at the outset of the season.

My heart says to let him play but I also know how tiresome and negative the constant exposure would likely become--especially when the team hits conference play in January (against rival teams and nastier fans) and when national media exposure increases as the team moves up the rankings.

What would be your decision?

Maturi's nads are in a vice in the garage, tightened and squeezing those nads, the handle sawed off, with a sharp knife in his hand. The worst thing is, the garage is on fire. Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't. Glad the decision is not mine to make. :confused:

"Should the trial get rescheduled to the end of the year, I think I might tell Tubby to red-shirt him and not allow him to play the conference schedule."

If Trevor played the nonconference part of the schedule (12 games), he would not be eligible for a redshirt.

My gut tells me the best thing for the University to do is to allow Trevor to continue to practice with the team but not play in games until either (A) the charges are dropped or (B) he's acquitted. If either A or B occur during the course of the season, Tubby can give Trevor the choice of redshirting (which I doubt Trevor would do) or playing right away. If A or B happens after the season, I'm sure the U, if necessary, would petition to get Trevor a redshirt season.

This topic has been discussed over & over with no additional information coming out of it.

If Maturi knows no more than what I have read online ... than Mbakwe should be allowed to play. But, Maturi may have info we don't.

So far I haven't heard of any evidence over the victims eye witness account. Those type of ID's are very iffy. Is there any additional evidence out there? For example, the assaulter was riding a bike. Did Trevor have access to a bike and did the victim describe that bike accurately? And I've heard there had been similar assaults ... Do any of those descriptions come near to describing Trevor?

As I stated earlier, Trevor either did it or is 100% innocent in this.

Because it is a case of 'absolute defense' as you say, I'd let him play. In most cases like this (such as with the football players), the person was at minimum doing something that cast the U in a bad light.

In this case there appears to be a more then decent chance he's completly innocent. Given the trials he's already had in his college career, suspending him may be a severe blow to his future employment prospects. I might feel differently if he was an incoming freshman who could actually benefit from the red shirt year. Kevin Whaley is currently playing football and was accused of assault just last year. I'm not sure if he was charged, but it's hardly without precedent for Maturi to let him play.

I think the notion of the program getting 'negative exposure' is over-blown. There are lots of players in college basketball with baggage as bad or worse then this. It'll get a mention in passing once each game, nothing more, unless Trevor becomes the star of the team or something.

This is a real toughy. In considering everything that we as fans know, I would lean towards allowing him to practice but keep him out of all the games. I know there is an argument regarding allowing him to play only in non-conference games but not conference contests. To me, that's muddies the issue too much. If he plays non conference then he should be allowed to play the conference season as well in my view. The last thing that anyone needs in addition to the legal issues is the issue of trying to decide which games he can play or can't play.

Personally, I don't think Tubby will be all that upset whichever way Maturi goes. Maturi has a job to do and certain considerations he must weigh, the same way that Tubby has certain considerations that he must weigh as it pertains to the team. If Trevor is kept out, give him the redshirt from the start. That way, if he is found to be not guilty, he still has two years left to play. If he is found guilty, renege the scholly and sign another player with the scholarship.

Having said all that, I'm guessing that we'll be seeing Trevor on the court before all is said and done.

I, for the record, agree with Selection Sunday. Keep him on the team and let him practice, but no playing.

The part that gets overlooked, IMHO, by the let-him-play crowd is that the athletic department currently has a rule that if an athlete is charged with a felony, they are suspended indefinitely. I think just dismissing that rule is wrong.

I was listening to "Sid and Dave" when a caller raised an interesting point. Why has no investigative reporter gone to Miami to find out what actually happened? It certainly would be a high interest story. It would seem that anyone who really wanted to know what happened could get a pretty good sense by going to Miami and asking questions of the people who were around that night. You would hope the police have already done that but personal experience tells me that aint always the case. Anyway I feel that Trevors old friends and neighbors probably know the truth and Maturi would (does) as well if he really so desires.

Am I missing something here? Is there a reason his attorney is trying to postpone this, rather than push it up? As I've said, I really do think (and hope) Trevor is innocent. If that's the case, why doesn't he just try to get this out of the way, so it's not even an issue?

I think it's very hard for Maturi let him play with a verdict still up in the air. If he played for Iowa or WI, let's be honest, we'd all be up in arms about a player charged that they were letting play.

As for being a Gopher fan, I HOPE he gets to play. I think he's our missing link.

I would not make a decision based on that limited amount of information. To do so would not be doing my job appropriately. There are many questions I would ask of a wide variety of people, and the answers to those question would lead to more questions. Even nonanswers can sometimes be answers.

I am absolutely convinced that not only does Maturi know more than we do, it's a LOT more. It may still be a tough decision, and he has the additional problem of his decision getting vociferous criticism from people who don't have all the info he does.

Roy's point was dead on. ANd I'm sure that somebody has done that legwork. Who did the legwork and for whom are different questions, and would help lead to the answer of why that info hasn't been released yet.

http://gopheracademics.umn.edu/site/code_of_conduct

Paragraph C of U of M Student Athlete Code of conduct - that I found online - I am assuming this is the current one in effect.

=======================

<"C. Local, State and Federal Laws

Student-athletes who are alleged (including arrested or charged) to have broken local, state and federal laws will be subject to team and department sanctions upon a case by case review. Violations involving physical and/or sexual violence, use of illegal weapons, or driving while under the influence will be subject to immediate suspension from team activity pending further investigation. The head coach, in consultation with the athletics director (or his/her designee), will impose sanctions.

Team or Athletics Department disciplinary sanctions may be imposed in advance of any campus disciplinary and/or criminal actions. Disciplinary sanctions may include, but are not limited to: admonishment; written reprimand; suspension from the team; reduction, cancellation or non-renewal of athletics scholarship aid; and dismissal from the team. Additional sanctions may be imposed by the broader University, including probation, suspension from school, or expulsion.

For the purposes of this code of conduct, suspension from the team means that student-athletes may not practice, compete or travel with any University of Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletics team. However, suspended student-athletes may, with the approval of the coach and designated sport administrator, attend team meetings and retain privileges to access training table, the athletic training room, academic support services and individual use of weight training.

Exceptions to any of these terms may be made by the Athletics Director or his/her designee.">

==============

From the 1st sentence of paragraph C of the Code - Mbakwe is subject to review on a case by case basis. 2nd sentence refers to "violations" - but we and Maturi do not know if "violations" have occurred in this case. Maturi has already chosen not to suspend Mbakwe from the team as he is involved in "practice" with the team.

It seems on a case by case basis Maturi has already made his decision by allowing Mbakwe to "practice" with the team. Unless Maturi comes across new information by way of "further investigation" (end of paragraph one) it seems to me Mbakwe's status should not change.

This topic has been discussed over & over with no additional information coming out of it.

If Maturi knows no more than what I have read online ... than Mbakwe should be allowed to play. But, Maturi may have info we don't.

So far I haven't heard of any evidence over the victims eye witness account. Those type of ID's are very iffy. Is there any additional evidence out there? For example, the assaulter was riding a bike. Did Trevor have access to a bike and did the victim describe that bike accurately? And I've heard there had been similar assaults ... Do any of those descriptions come near to describing Trevor?

As I stated earlier, Trevor either did it or is 100% innocent in this.

i would say the chances of this are about 100%! ;)

Student-athletes who are alleged (including arrested or charged) to have broken local, state and federal laws will be subject to team and department sanctions upon a case by case review.

That's the most important part in this issue. Maturi has the ability to examine each circumstance objectively and without having to be hand-cuffed by a predetermined set of rules on how to handle the situation.
Personally, I think he should be allowed to play until the case it closed. Remember, people in this country are innocent until proven guilty, but that has been stated on here a million and a half times already, so I'm not going to act like this is some type of revolutionary discovery.
Let's say Maturi does not allow him to play and then he's found 100 percent innocent, then what happens? Maturi is then made the bad buy because it looks like he assumed Mbawke did it. Allowing him to play and then suspending him indefinitely after the ruling if found guilty just seems like the only logical way to go about things. You're giving Mbawke, who I don't think has ever been involved in something like this ever, the benefit of the doubt.

Let's say Maturi does not allow him to play and then he's found 100 percent innocent, then what happens?

Well, he will have been on scholarship and, based on what has already happened, he will have practiced with the team for the season. Unless his multiple transfers have negated it, I would assume it would be like a red-shirt year. Would it be fair? No, but given the university policy, the circumstances, and other information that is what Maturi might decide, and I don't think it would be a travesty. Trevor's basketball career might be postponed, but it's really unlikely it's going to be damaged. He might improve basketball skills that need work, and he might gain more maturity and become a better student. Also, it must be hard enough to play basketball and be a student, without serious charges hanging over your head. Simplifying his life at this point might really be the best thing for him.

I trust he's innocent and would like to see him play because the case against him seems less than compelling, but I can wait a year even if Maturi makes a decision that will be greatly criticized.

yes, i would definitely want an investigative reporter to go down there and figure this thing out!!
(that idea was so dumb, i expected sid to go along with it)

joel is in a no win situation here - i do not envy him

Am I missing something here? Is there a reason his attorney is trying to postpone this, rather than push it up? As I've said, I really do think (and hope) Trevor is innocent. If that's the case, why doesn't he just try to get this out of the way, so it's not even an issue?.

Not only Trevor but a lot of the witnesses are in season on the trial date. It's just not the trial, its the depositions, the meetings, etc. A lot of time goes into a trial - and its not just the plaintiff and defendant. The move is more to not inconvenience these people, than to buy time for Trevor.

I would support Maturi keeping him off the court until the original trial date. If the trial is postponed, based on what we know, I would allow Trevor to play. America is the land of innocent until proven guilty. His suspension through Dec. 12 would serve as a U of Mn reminder to all student-athletes - you are held to higher standards of conduct and must be careful of the situations you put yourselves in.

What if the situation Trevor has put himself in is being misidentified? How do you avoid that?

So, we have a Gopher Cheerleader go to Michigan State, hustle a stud player, and accuse him of rape, and he has to be declared inelligible due to charges? Hello!!!!! Same thing, sports fans.

Not only Trevor but a lot of the witnesses are in season on the trial date. It's just not the trial, its the depositions, the meetings, etc. A lot of time goes into a trial - and its not just the plaintiff and defendant. The move is more to not inconvenience these people, than to buy time for Trevor.

I would support Maturi keeping him off the court until the original trial date. If the trial is postponed, based on what we know, I would allow Trevor to play. America is the land of innocent until proven guilty. His suspension through Dec. 12 would serve as a U of Mn reminder to all student-athletes - you are held to higher standards of conduct and must be careful of the situations you put yourselves in.

Thanks for the explanation. I have no legal experience and was just thinking he would want this out of the way. I thought since this happened in April that would have been ample time - clearly, I have no idea what I'm talking about! Thanks :)

GopherLady....""""" I have no idea what I'm talking about!""""" That is not necessarily applicable to you, but it sure is applicable to a ton of the bloggers on here.

let him play

If it turns out to be just a case of mistaken identity in retrospect, any punishment by Maturi would seem unduly harsh. On the other hand, if he is guilty, I trust he will pay mightly for his actions. So I would let him play and reward the presumption of innocence that in of itself is tantamount to any of high standards our U stands for.

You would think someone would look into who this accuser is? Is she a reliable witness? I think the quality of her character should be a determining factor in deciding whether he plays or not.

WWMD - What would Maturi Do?

If I was AD ...

I would try to follow as closely as possible the Student-Athlete Code of Conduct.

According to the Code of Conduct: http://gopheracademics.umn.edu/site/code_of_conduct

"For the purposes of this code of conduct, suspension from the team means that student-athletes may not practice, compete or travel with any University of Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletics team."

If I was AD at this point in time, I would take into consideration that I have already allowed the player to practice with the team. The player has 'practiced' with the team for 10 days. I would take into consideration that the first 10 days of 'practice' for a team going into a season are an important period of time toward the development of a basketball 'TEAM'. I would take into consideration that as AD, I have already allowed the player to be trotted out onto the Wiliams Arena floor in front of a few thousand fans and media to participate in a media savvy - well-orchestrated basketball - team family concept event - designed to promote the beginning of the U of M basketball season.

I would take into consideration that the Code of Conduct provides for no situation where a player is allowed to "practice" but is not allowed to "compete" (unless you use the provision in the last sentence of the code that allows the AD to do whatever he wants regardless of what the Code spells out.) I would abide by what is clearly spelled out in the Code.

According to the Code there is no distinction as far as suspension is concerned between 'practice' and 'compete'. If you are suspended from one you are suspended from the other. As AD, I have already demonstrated that I do not have enough information to suspend the player from 'practice'. Unless I uncover new information, I do not have enough information to suspend him from 'competing'. As AD, I have already allowed the player to 'practice' with the team as well as participate in media promotion events for the University and its Basketball team. To be consistent in following the Code, the player should now be allowed to 'compete' as well as 'practice' --- unless, of course, I find new information about the case to affect my decision.

If I was going to suspend the player I would have done it before 'practice' began and before the surrounding media hoopla of the beginning of Basketball 'practice' and season. It seems to me that would be fair to the player as well as the team. Now that 'practice' and fan and media promotions for the team have begun the player should now be allowed to 'compete' --- pending new information.

No doubt there will be objections to whatever decision Maturi makes. But in keeping with respect for the Code of Conduct, since Maturi has allowed the player to practice - he should now allow the player to compete.

Interesting perspective. Sounds logical. I hope this is the case.

OK, let's combine notes. From what I've read online:

1) The victim's original description of the assailant did not agree with Trevor's description.

2) She picked Trevor out of a team picture (I don't know why she was looking at the team picture). She then subsequently picked Trevor out of a line up.

3) There where a series of similar assaults in the area. I've seen the claim several of these assaults occurred after Trevor left for Minnesota. Is that true? Also, if there were other assaults, did anyone else ID a 6-8 240 pound guy on a bike?

Anyone out there care to correct any errors or add something new?

Most of you are being ridiculous.

You let him play, absolutely, 100 percent. This is America. Nothing has been proved against him. If he's guilty you kick him off the team. If he's innocent, he continues to play. His innocence or guilt is to be found in the court of law. Until then, he's innocent and should definitely play.

I don't think any of us (to play or not to play) are being ridiculous, just offering our differing views of the situation.

"His innocence or guilt is to be found in the court of law. Until then, he's innocent and should definitely play."

Playing the devil's advocate here. ... does that apply no matter what the alleged crime is? Let's say a college team has a player out on bail facing charges of pedophilia, or beating the snot out of an elderly person, or attempted murder. He/she vigorously pleads his/her innocence. Should that student-athlete continue to play while his/her case is still in the court of law?

Is there a line to be drawn somewhere?

Have said it before & will say it again. ... Maturi's in a no-win situation. Whatever his decison is, he's going to get ripped a new one. I think he's a good man, so I'll respect his decision whatever he decides. He certainly knows much more about the facts of the situation than any of us do.

Trevor has already been charged. Trevor seems to have a strong defense, and I do think his innocence is likely. But, to make a case-by-case decision based on the pre-trial verdict prediction appears to be too dangerous and ad hoc a thing to do. I would let the status quo stand by simply following the existing rules unless I were willing to put all similar matters through the same decision making process based on the pre-trial verdict prediction.

If I am the AD, I will hold off a decision as long as possible before the season starts. If the prosecutor does not drop the charge by then, I will suspend Trevor from that point on till the matter is resolved in court.

However, I have a feeling that Maturi will try to come up with some argument to turn this into a special case or an exception.

Maturi, I hope, carefully weighs the long term consequences of the decision against the short term counterparts.

So, we have a Gopher Cheerleader go to Michigan State, hustle a stud player, and accuse him of rape, and he has to be declared inelligible due to charges? Hello!!!!! Same thing, sports fans.

Hmmmm...

We all know Gopher Lady is an incredibly devoted fan and would do anything to help the team.

We all know that she has done an exceptional job developing relationships with key, high profile coaches like Izzo and Self.

We all know that she has a devious mind.

We all know that having a head coach like e.g. Izzo suspended/ineligible to coach would really hurt a team and give other teams a better chance to succeed.

Hmmmm...

;):D:D:D:D;)

I was polite and suggested a Gopher Cheerleader, but GL would work too. Good one Jim V2.

Top Bottom