How much longer till we bring back our uniforms?

Hate the white on white, and the banana look. like the newer uni's in general but we are the maroon and gold, not the white and white, or the gold and gold.

I'm so sick of the current jerseys. The maroon is way too purple for my liking. And the jankity piping on the bottom of the pants - what the f*ck is that?!?! We're just playing follow the follower with these BS trendy Nike jerseys. We showed up years late to a party that was lame to begin with. And the white on white jerseys are the absolute worst! We're not f'n Texas and we have no business wearing white on white. We have absolutely destroyed the identity that Mason developed for us. Both offensively and aesthetically. The Mason era jerseys were clean, crisp, and most importantly, were actually maroon and gold. We were the only team for a while that wore bright gold pants. We wore them both home and away and they looked great with both white and maroon jerseys. Outside of Penn St., we had the sharpest uniforms in the country. Now, Brewster changes our home jersey combinations more than he changes his underwear.

All the negativity in this board sucks.

anyone else notice that most of the people that hate the new uniforms hate Brewster as well.....just sayin....

It's just another thing to hate on. The only problem I have with the unis is that piping design on the pants thing. Don't get it. As far as the combo thing, I'm pretty sure the players choose that, so if the players like it, whatever. Interesting that they've never worn anything but white on white on the road, to my recollection. They must really like that look. I don't mind it personally. If they win 10 games, are we really gonna beef on the unis? Or are we beefing about the unis because they only won 6? Tell you what, if they win a Big Ten title with them, these unis will instantly become my favorite of all time lol.

anyone else notice that most of the people that hate the new uniforms hate Brewster as well.....just sayin....
                              /
3013p68.jpg

I believe the white-on-white unis is the same with the shoes. Brewster has stated that he feels the white (and all white all the more) makes one look faster.

I'm so sick of the current jerseys. The maroon is way too purple for my liking. And the jankity piping on the bottom of the pants - what the f*ck is that?!?! We're just playing follow the follower with these BS trendy Nike jerseys.

Your opinion does not make it fact.

The Mason-era pattern is better, but the Brewster-era maroon is better.

Not sure how you think that? I'm a Brewster backer, but the "newer" uni's suck. White on White? Really? We look faster?

My opinion on the uniforms is almost completely independent from my opinion on Tim Brewster. I suppose I feel like the new uniforms are a representation of Brewster's over-marketing, under-delivering style; but that is the only connection.

I hate the current uniforms for no other reason than I feel that they are an enormous downgrade from the previous uniforms. I wouldn't say that they are terribly ugly, but they aren't good either. The last uniforms were a 10. These are a 6 (at best). And the ones with the two 'M's striped across the chest were a 2.

Three years on the joke is over. Ha-ha. Hilarious prank.

Can we have our home uniforms back now? It's not remotely funny any more.

Brewster could win the Rose Bowl and I would never forgive him for this.

Don't even try disagreeing with me. Not in the mood.

217715.jpg

I agree 100%.

One day Studwell will come in here and make a valid post, and the whole internet will crash, Matrix-esque

One day Studwell will come in here and make a valid post, and the whole internet will crash, Matrix-esque

Umm, have you actually watched the Matrix? I'm just curious.

i am willing to wager 100 internet bucks that the great majority of the people who dislike the new unis are over thirty and the great majority of those who like them are under thirty.

it comes down to a person's tastes becoming more conservative as they age. that is why my dad is wearing the same sweaters he has had for forty years. it is more comfortable than change.

when it comes down to it, the only people who's opinion matters are the players who are wearing them.

the oregon jerseys might look bad to all the octogenarians who are only on this board when they are not yelling at teenagers to get off their lawn and pull their pants up, but to the players, and more importantly to the recruits, they are stylish. i wouldn't be surprised if there were many kids playing for the ducks right now that chose oregon primarily because of the uniforms.

Generally I'm a traditionalist, but......

I love the programs with a distinctive look that immediately identifies who they are. That being said, we simply have not had a consistent look for the past fifty years. The uniforms under Mason from 1999 to 2006 were great. I loved the look, especially with the black shoes and socks. However, I was not against the change, nor do I think the new uniforms are bad. In fact, I think that absent a classic look, having fun with uniforms and color combinations is the way to go (a la Oregon).

Which brings me to my one criticism.....variability. The press conference introducing the new duds showed six different combos. With the emergence of the gold jerseys this year, we have nine different possibilities. Frankly, I'd like to see all of them. I was hopeful after the first two home games when I saw gold tops/gold pants and gold tops/maroon bottoms. But that was it. It's not that I don't like the all white look, but I'd love to see us mix it up. I'd love to see every uniform combination we have. Why not have fun with it?

Cal does it pretty well. They have a very similar approach with three primary colors and the darkest as the helmet color. Yet they seem to use all of them, as indicated in the attachments (this gives a flavor of their options...they have used all nine combos in the last two years). I even like how they mix up the shoe colors, going with black when they wear the navy pants.

Just my two cents.

Attachments

• Cal_1.jpg
    Cal_1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Cal_2.jpg
    Cal_2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Cal_3.jpg
    Cal_3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Cal_4.jpg
    Cal_4.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Cal_5.jpg
    Cal_5.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 21

Cal Combos_Part II

Here are the remainder of the Cal combos.

Attachments

• Cal_6.jpg
    Cal_6.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Cal_7.jpg
    Cal_7.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Cal_8.jpg
    Cal_8.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Cal_9.jpg
    Cal_9.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 12

I love the programs with a distinctive look that immediately identifies who they are. That being said, we simply have not had a consistent look for the past fifty years. The uniforms under Mason from 1999 to 2006 were great. I loved the look, especially with the black shoes and socks. However, I was not against the change, nor do I think the new uniforms are bad. In fact, I think that absent a classic look, having fun with uniforms and color combinations is the way to go (a la Oregon).

Which brings me to my one criticism.....variability. The press conference introducing the new duds showed six different combos. With the emergence of the gold jerseys this year, we have nine different possibilities. Frankly, I'd like to see all of them. I was hopeful after the first two home games when I saw gold tops/gold pants and gold tops/maroon bottoms. But that was it. It's not that I don't like the all white look, but I'd love to see us mix it up. I'd love to see every uniform combination we have. Why not have fun with it?

Cal does it pretty well. They have a very similar approach with three primary colors and the darkest as the helmet color. Yet they seem to use all of them, as indicated in the attachments (this gives a flavor of their options...they have used all nine combos in the last two years). I even like how they mix up the shoe colors, going with black when they wear the navy pants.

Just my two cents.

wow, great post. if i wasn't such a dullard i might have written the exact thing.

Just my two cents.

I agree. Couldn't have said it better myself. I want to see all of the different combination of colors.

Just my two cents.

+1

Love the color combo's, like the elimination of the white shadow compared to ours. Think West Virginia is similar. We need to wear more color on the road. Ok with white and white sometimes but not every game, we are the Golden Gophers.

I love the new uniforms, especially the darker maroon that i personally think looks the best. The "piping" or "blocking" on the M on the helmet looks SOOO much better then the Mason era. I find it hard to talk about "tradition" with the uniform when we haven't been wildly successful in such a long time. Penn State/Texas/Michigan etc haven't changed their uniforms because they've been winning in them forever.

Made a very good point a few posts ago about Cal and their uniforms. Cal/WV look GREAT in their uni's and they pull it off very well. We should model our combos of them i think, but throw our own touch into the "generic nike jerseys" Cal changed to have "bear scratches" on the shoulder pads. Keep the jerseys we have, but add one thing imo, a gold helmet with a maroon block M. Seeing a solid gold jersey with gold pants and that helmet would be sooooooooo awesome in my opinion. Look at Cincinnati's helmets for the Sugar bowl for another example of going all one color, the all white looks great and they usually wear black.

I also agree with HHH Gopher suggesting all combinations should be used. I like all combinations in the Cal examble except the blue on blue and the gold on gold. I also agree that the younger generation enjoys the new uniform look and in particular the all one color look. As stated above, Brewster's target audience is the players and the reqruits and I'm sure he could care less what the fans think.

I'm fine with the new ones, especially the darker maroon. Just think how bad ass they would look with BLACK shoes. And never wear all gold on gold again......hideous!

This is about as much fun as my wife asking me what color curtains I'd like better in the spare bedroom. Who cares?

Penn State football has the best uniform in sports. They just need to get rid of the fancy stripe on the helmet and those unnecessary numbers on the shoulders.

Aesthetics are Important...

This is about as much fun as my wife asking me what color curtains I'd like better in the spare bedroom. Who cares?

Penn State football has the best uniform in sports. They just need to get rid of the fancy stripe on the helmet and those unnecessary numbers on the shoulders.

More than any other sport, I believe that the look and feel of the game is critically important to college football. That's why things like stadium & field design, fans dressing in team colors, and yes, team uniforms are important. It's the little things that make this such a great sport...and a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Just think of how much better the aesthetic experience has been since being in TCF Bank Stadium. It's night and day.

As for other uniform suggestions, I'm fine staying with the maroon helments. Outside of the Wacker years, we've had maroon helmets since 1977. I think that's still a good identifier. However, I wouldn't mind us occasionally using a more throwback template for the pants & jerseys. Maybe it's a uniform you could implement twice a year for the two big rivalry games - IA & Bucky. Then you'd use a home version and a road version. Virginia Tech has used a similar approach in recent years with a throwback model for some games (attachment below). Actually, I think that they might be using this full-time next season. Anyhow, keep the current helmets, switch out the orange for gold, and throw on some black shoes and you have a great look that would certainly mix it up a bit.

Attachments

• VT_1.jpg
    VT_1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 19

For those of us, I am sure a terrible minority, who only get the Gophers on Radio and info from GH; would it be possible to see some pictures of the various types of uniforms.

Easier to form an opinion of what is good...and saves it for posterity, like the thread at the start of the football season.

Thanks...name is in the moniker in case I get pulled up.

Gophers 2009 Combos

For those of us, I am sure a terrible minority, who only get the Gophers on Radio and info from GH; would it be possible to see some pictures of the various types of uniforms.

Easier to form an opinion of what is good...and saves it for posterity, like the thread at the start of the football season.

Thanks...name is in the moniker in case I get pulled up.

Here are the five combos used by the Gophers this year.

Attachments

• MN_1.jpg
    MN_1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 23
  • MN_2.jpg
    MN_2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 23
  • MN_3.jpg
    MN_3.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 24
  • MN_4.jpg
    MN_4.jpg