Hey guys, I've been in a coma since the 2009 Tubby Final Four team. What's the current state of the union with Minnesota men's basketball?

TheNorthernAmir

Reaction score
I fell into a coma the day after the Tubby Tip-Off in 2009. How's our recruiting? Are we pulling in local kids? What's wrong with the program?

This is the last thing I remember about the Gophs.

Happy New Year!

I fell into a coma the day after the Tubby Tip-Off in 2009. How's our recruiting? Are we pulling in local kids? What's wrong with the program?

This is the last thing I remember about the Gophs.

Happy New Year!
Hi Saul,

So that’s what you’ve been up to.
Amazingly, you recovered enough to join GopherHole on November 16, 2021, yet you seemingly just woke up now.

I never knew trolls 🧌 could go into a comma - great info!

Hi Saul,

So that’s what you’ve been up to.
Amazingly, you recovered enough to join GopherHole on November 16, 2021, yet you seemingly just woke up now.

I never knew trolls 🧌 could go into a comma - great info!

I'm not Saul, I see I have competition.

In all seriousness, what's going on this season? Can someone at least give me a brief rundown of where the program is at? How our recruiting has been?

In reality, the last time I actually followed the team, recruiting, and watched all of the games was during the first few years of the Pitino tenure. Due to moving overseas and, frankly, becoming a bit nihilistic about gophers basketball, I drifted away.

I remember there being a fairly positive reaction to Ben Johnson as a player and as a new hire, then I stumble in here and see the posts and I just wonder what has happened over the last few years.

I'm not Saul, I see I have competition.

In all seriousness, what's going on this season? Can someone at least give me a brief rundown of where the program is at? How our recruiting has been?

In reality, the last time I actually followed the team, recruiting, and watched all of the games was during the first few years of the Pitino tenure. Due to moving overseas and, frankly, becoming a bit nihilistic about gophers basketball, I drifted away.

I remember there being a fairly positive reaction to Ben Johnson as a player and as a new hire, then I stumble in here and see the posts and I just wonder what has happened over the last few years.
"We're doing great!" - Gopher_In_NYC :cool:

Read the posts... They will tell you everything you need to know about this shit hole dumpster fire

Clem left. After that it went downhill and still hasn't recovered. No one goes to the barn. A few older folks. Team has never gained an identity even though it has had 4 different coaches since then. Top MN kids still won't come here. We generally get 1 good borderline all conference type recruit per cycle. What else do you want to know?

That probably was a good life decision. Saved you a lot of frustration over the last decade.

If you're thinking about starting to watch, here is my advice:

You probably should skip next game.

The game after that is Wisconsin at home. So far Wisconsin looks like the second-best team in the conference so the prognosis for that game is negative but stranger things have happened. Monitor the game online for the first half and if the team is staying close or even ahead, give it a shot.

The game after that is Penn State on the road. They're one of the weakest teams in the conference (I'd say weakest but I'm not sure how far we will fall yet). Follow the same advice as the Wisconsin game. The Gophers have not been good on the road so far this season but they do have one conference road win so this one is a possibility.

If you aren't completely turned off by that point, then consider continuing to watch but proceed with caution. If things get out of hand at any point, then extricate yourself as soon as possible. If you're not careful, watching Gopher basketball can become a bad habit - like heroin addiction but with fewer highs.

Hey guys, I've been in a coma since the 2009 Tubby Final Four team. What's the current state of the union with Minnesota men's basketball?​

In a coma.

Since our 1997 Final Four and subsequent suspensions:

We've had 1 almost sure-fire Final Four team in place. And we've had another that had a chance.

But both times we chose suspensions instead.

Last edited:

a fairly serious answer to the OP:

in the 26 seasons since the Final 4 team, the Gophers have had 2 seasons with a winning record in conference games.

some years have been a little better than others - the Gophers have qualified for the NCAA tournament in 7 of those 26 seasons. They lost in the 1st round 5 times; made it to the 2nd round once and the 3rd round once. the Gophers have not finished a season ranked in the top 25 in the last 26 seasons.

the last two years have been among the worst in the last quarter-century. this season has shown a little more promise, but the Gophers still don't match up well against the better teams in the conference.

so, the Gophers have ranged from average to below-average to pretty damn bad for 26 years. and attendance is as bad as it's ever been.

anything else you need to know?

"It's not a lie if you believe it" - George Costanza
I’m on record saying no NIT this year, time for someone new.

Just think what happens around here when we win @ Sparty and Badger Bucky at home; I’ll set up. Zoom call and we can all have a sing along to this awesome jam -

Just think what happens around here when we win @ Sparty and Badger Bucky at home; I’ll set up. Zoom call and we can all have a sing along to this awesome jam -

I'd prefer don't stop believing

Only one of these things are false, you guess.

1) Gophers have won a National Championship.
2) Olympic hero, Bruce Jenner is now Caitlyn Jenner.
3) The Government has announced that UFO's are real, and no one cares.
4) Steven Hawking visited Epstein Island. (he was not snorkeling).
5) Businessman Donald Trump becomes President, because people are tired of politicians.
6) Your coma since 2009 is great, because it reduced your carbon footprint.
7) Gopher Hole became a great source for sports venting, during the pandemic.
8) Two weeks to flatten the pandemic curve, did not work. We will explain that to you later.

Unfortunately, reality is we probably win somewhere between 3 and 5 games. Feeling pretty safe about the 3 number. Hopeful, we get to 6.

Only one of these things are false, you guess.

1) Gophers have won a National Championship.
2) Olympic hero, Bruce Jenner is now Caitlyn Jenner.
3) The Government has announced that UFO's are real, and no one cares.
4) Steven Hawking visited Epstein Island. (he was not snorkeling).
5) Businessman Donald Trump becomes President, because people are tired of politicians.
6) Your coma since 2009 is great, because it reduced your carbon footprint.
7) Gopher Hole became a great source for sports venting, during the pandemic.
8) Two weeks to flatten the pandemic curve, did not work. We will explain that to you later.

In all fairness, your list is good. But #8 we do not know. Did it work? What was the other outcome like had we all not “stayed home”?

Unfortunately, reality is we probably win somewhere between 3 and 5 games. Feeling pretty safe about the 3 number. Hopeful, we get to 6.
We’ve already won three B10 games, so thinking we won’t win another game seems questionable to me, we lost by 9 points last night, not 19 or 29, playing like garbage.

Will known a lot more within the next two weeks.

In all fairness, your list is good. But #8 we do not know. Did it work? What was the other outcome like had we all not “stayed home”?
Fair point.

In Dr. Birx book, she said this:
Early in her time at the White House, Birx became one of main champions of lockdowns. We were told in March 2020 that we should lock down for 15 days to “flatten the curve.” This meant slowing the rate of spread so that hospitals would not be overwhelmed. Some observers at the time thought that this 15‐day lockdown was just an opening bid and that the government had a longer lockdown in mind. I, naively, didn’t think that. Birx reveals that I should have. In a chapter titled “Turning Fifteen into Thirty,” she writes, “No sooner had we convinced the Trump administration to implement our version of a two‐week shutdown than I was trying to figure out how to extend it. Fifteen Days to Slow the Spread was a start, but I knew it would be just that. I didn’t have the numbers in front of me yet to make the case for extending it longer, but I had two weeks to get them.” That’s revealing in two ways. First, she planned for a much longer lockdown. Second, she knew what she wanted to find and she looked for data to make her case.

Also Dr Fauci recently said that the 6 foot distancing rule, "just appeared" and he said nothing about it, at that time. The CDC did not follow the science, in either case.

Fair point.

In Dr. Birx book, she said this:
Early in her time at the White House, Birx became one of main champions of lockdowns. We were told in March 2020 that we should lock down for 15 days to “flatten the curve.” This meant slowing the rate of spread so that hospitals would not be overwhelmed. Some observers at the time thought that this 15‐day lockdown was just an opening bid and that the government had a longer lockdown in mind. I, naively, didn’t think that. Birx reveals that I should have. In a chapter titled “Turning Fifteen into Thirty,” she writes, “No sooner had we convinced the Trump administration to implement our version of a two‐week shutdown than I was trying to figure out how to extend it. Fifteen Days to Slow the Spread was a start, but I knew it would be just that. I didn’t have the numbers in front of me yet to make the case for extending it longer, but I had two weeks to get them.” That’s revealing in two ways. First, she planned for a much longer lockdown. Second, she knew what she wanted to find and she looked for data to make her case.

Also Dr Fauci recently said that the 6 foot distancing rule, "just appeared" and he said nothing about it, at that time. The CDC did not follow the science, in either case.
Is this from an actual book you own or did you find this on an internet site, which stated it was excepted from a book?

Asking as Dr. Birx, who I assume is the subject of the piece the way it is presented, is referred to as: Dr. Birx, she, we and I (that is a jumbled mess of personal pronouns).

A highly educated person, such as a doctor wouldn’t write in such a woebegone manner (a middle schooler might), nor would an editor let that be published in a book from a publisher or by a reputable news/magazine source. This appears to be some fairytale narrative via The Treehouse Conservative, et al.

While you certainly are free to your opinions, my friend, those are supposed to be on the OTB, as this is a sports board. Ask the moderators, if I’m wrong, then I will apologize for overreaching.

Last edited:

Since 2009, every fan in the state of MN has become fed up with illegal activities, sexual harassment, academic cheating, and promotion of thug behavior--but mostly the people of MN grew tired of seeing all the great young basketball talent leave. Other teams were getting better from our talent pool.
After the scandals and suspensions subsided, Monson quit, Pitino name was brought in but he couldn't recruit and wasn't interested in doing so locally. MN looked to a guy that was a Gopher, smart, has seen other successful programs, and could recruit locally. There was some pressure in Mnpls to hire a person of color after St. George was targeted randomly by rogue police officers, but the hire wasn't racially motivated despite claims of the woke experts in the media.
His first two seasons were brutally difficult through little fault of his own. Players left with Pitino name, off-season injuries decimated all depth, and the team was unable to play a style of ball that CBJ wanted. Finally, MN recruits started coming into the program, and this year's team has the depth and ability to compete in BTN conf. for the first time under CBJ. Subs finally can be rotated in and the team has the capability to theoretically allow fresh legs for a full game. Currently, this team has the capability to battle any BTN team on any given night. Being able to compete on a level floor is a positive step, and the future looks good in the quality of recruits coming in with aspect to skill levels and being non-trouble making team players.

same ol same ol, 'cept there's a new one. ust or stu or stfu or something like that

Since 2009, every fan in the state of MN has become fed up with illegal activities, sexual harassment, academic cheating, and promotion of thug behavior--but mostly the people of MN grew tired of seeing all the great young basketball talent leave. Other teams were getting better from our talent pool.
After the scandals and suspensions subsided, Monson quit, Pitino name was brought in but he couldn't recruit and wasn't interested in doing so locally. MN looked to a guy that was a Gopher, smart, has seen other successful programs, and could recruit locally. There was some pressure in Mnpls to hire a person of color after St. George was targeted randomly by rogue police officers, but the hire wasn't racially motivated despite claims of the woke experts in the media.
His first two seasons were brutally difficult through little fault of his own. Players left with Pitino name, off-season injuries decimated all depth, and the team was unable to play a style of ball that CBJ wanted. Finally, MN recruits started coming into the program, and this year's team has the depth and ability to compete in BTN conf. for the first time under CBJ. Subs finally can be rotated in and the team has the capability to theoretically allow fresh legs for a full game. Currently, this team has the capability to battle any BTN team on any given night. Being able to compete on a level floor is a positive step, and the future looks good in the quality of recruits coming in with aspect to skill levels and being non-trouble making team players.
There are a few of us who aren't sheep...and who don't go along with the lies and the automatic guilt upon accusation. Not many. But there are a few of us.

It's political. Everything is political these days. There's a concerted effort to bring down our best teams. And it appears to be happening at Illinois too. A woman simply walks by their best player (on one of their best teams)...in a crowded bar...and that all it takes. He's done. Automatic guilt.

There are a few of us who aren't sheep...and who don't go along with the lies and the automatic guilt upon accusation. Not many. But there are a few of us.

It's political. Everything is political these days. There's a concerted effort to bring down our best teams. And it appears to be happening at Illinois too. A woman simply walks by their best player (on one of their best teams)...in a crowded bar...and that all it takes. He's done. Automatic guilt.
You are a doll.

Top Bottom