Here's the issue: Since 2014 there have been 17 MN-born 4-star recruits, Gophers signed 3 of them

Going back to 2014 (according to 247):

Holmgren
5​
Suggs
5​
Garcia
4​
Dainja
4​
Carlson
4​
Walton
4​
Hurt
5​
Nnaji
4​
Terry
4​
Jones
5​
Oturu
4​
Sims
4​
Reuvers
4​
Davison
4​
Thompson
4​
Coffey
4​
Jones
5​
Travis
4​
Macura
4​
Man, I'd take every single one of these guys. Some turned out better than others but every single one of these players was/is at least a rotation player in a power conference (other than Dainja and Holmgren who haven't played yet but I'm sure they'll be at least that good)

That being said, there are plenty of other issues to solve other than in-state recruiting. If we recruit well out of state and coach well, the in-state won't matter.

Looking at that list is still painful though.

I hereby request that Ben Johnson ignore anyone that suggests we need to keep players at home to be successful. This is a boring narrative which suggests that BJ will fail if our next Final 4 happens without MN players or will succeed if we pull in all the best local talent and are still B1G bottom feeders. It is already getting old fast...

If local talent does not want to play here it is on them and their families (and a serious moral failing it is)
It's fun to talk about, but if we win then they will come here. I really think we need to win first with whoever from wherever

^^^^This.

I'm not one of those guys that says we must recruit in-state to be successful. I was also a fan of Pitino. Competing for the top 50 players is going up against the best of the best and we are likely to loose out on many of them and that's understandable. The 51-150 is where we need to live. These are the kids that can be 'late bloomers' or coached up or simply stick around for 4 years and are physically better than a freshman. To not get a single one is startling to say the least. These kids nearly all went to programs on a similar level to the Gophers.
So many of those in the 50-150 range went to programs far better than the Gophers. Plus, dozens of the guys in that range turn out to be far better players than more than 60 % of the top 50.

Top Bottom