Here's the issue: Since 2014 there have been 17 MN-born 4-star recruits, Gophers signed 3 of them

I understand (but may not like) those 5 star players going to schools like Duke & Gonzaga. Have to hit better on those 4 stars that are going to schools like Marquette and Texas and Wisconsin. I think Ben can do it.

Who were the three players that MN got? I assume Oturu, Coffey and ?

I understand (but may not like) those 5 star players going to schools like Duke & Gonzaga. Have to hit better on those 4 stars that are going to schools like Marquette and Texas and Wisconsin. I think Ben can do it.

Jarvis Johnson maybe?

Jarvis Johnson the third? He was rated in the top 150 wasn't he? They couldn't be talking about Mi. Hurt haha

This issue has been gone over time and again on this site. It is an issue and perhaps Johnson can do better- I certainly hope so. But....programs around the country are not seeing huge success rates at keeping players in state. I thought I saw a stat of around 20%- which is fairly close to this situation.

I would be curious to see the list of those 17 players, where they ended up and were they successful. My guess is that there are many names on that list we would have loved to have and probably some that we are glad didn't end up here.

Obviously we want to see the program have more success keeping local guys home and hopefully Johnson can make that happen. But I still think people are losing sight of fact that priority #1 is fielding a winning team regardless of where the players come from.

The issue we have had here is that the team has not been great and at the same time we are seeing local talent going out of state. If the team was winning consistently, people would fret far less about where the players are from and who didn't come here.

I think everyone agrees it would be wonderful to get the top recruits from in-state schools. Should be a goal for sure. When you look at top talent across the country for the last 11 years, it looks like around 21% of the top 5 national recruits rated by 247Sports actually stay in state, or 12 out of 55 players. This doesn't prove anything, but I do think it shows that Minnesota isn't alone in not keeping talent in state. All things are not created equal, obviously, but this is still interesting to see.

Breaking it down back to 2011:
Player Rank # Stayed in State?
#1 ------------- 2
#2 ------------- 2
#3 ------------- 2
#4 ------------- 0
#5 ------------- 5

*All according to 247Sports

Last edited:

I think everyone agrees it would be wonderful to get the top recruits from in-state schools. Should be a goal for sure. When you look at top talent across the country for the last 11 years, it looks like around 21% of the top 5 national recruits rated by 247 Sports actually stay in state, or 12 out of 55 players. This doesn't prove anything, but I do think it shows that Minnesota isn't alone in not keeping talent in state. All things are not created equal, obviously, but this is still interesting to see.
The funny thing too is that there are 5* guys from states who have a blue blood program who are also leaving. It goes to show that winning doesn't solve everything either.

Seniors in high school will choose to play wherever based on a number of things.

man thats tough.....lets hope BJ can sign 3 of them alone in the 2022 class....

I would be curious to see the list of those 17 players,
Not sure what constitutes a 4 star but it has to be primarily these guys:
  1. Tyus Jones
  2. Rashad Vaughn
  3. Reid Travis
  4. J.P. Macura
  5. Amir Coffey
  6. Gary Trent, Jr.
  7. Jericho Sims
  8. Nate Reuvers
  9. Brad Davison
  10. Race Thompson
  11. Tre Jones
  12. Daniel Oturu
  13. Both Gach
  14. Matthew Hurt
  15. Zeke Nnaji
  16. Tyrell Terry
  17. Jalen Suggs
  18. Dawson Garcia
  19. Dain Dainja

Not sure what constitutes a 4 star but it has to be primarily these guys:
  1. Tyus Jones
  2. Rashad Vaughn
  3. Reid Travis
  4. J.P. Macura
  5. Amir Coffey
  6. Gary Trent, Jr.
  7. Jericho Sims
  8. Nate Reuvers
  9. Brad Davison
  10. Race Thompson
  11. Tre Jones
  12. Daniel Oturu
  13. Both Gach
  14. Matthew Hurt
  15. Zeke Nnaji
  16. Tyrell Terry
  17. Jalen Suggs
  18. Dawson Garcia
  19. Dain Dainja
That is probably most of them however I don't think the 17 counted Tyus and Tre, Gary Trent JR, Matthew Hurt, or Jalen Suggs as they were all 5 star guys. So have to be a few others in there somewhere. The fact that their names aren't obvious probably means they didn't amount to much.

Since 2014 (according to 247) wisconsin has had
5 five star recruits
12 four star recruits.

wisconsin signed 1 four star (Pritzl in 2016).

IT IS NOT A MINNESOTA PROBLEM.
Exactly, but the "one of us" obsession is strong in this State. Fans forget that just because they would kill to play for a particular team it doesn't mean an 18 year old kid with lots of great options is going to feel the same way.

Going back to 2014 (according to 247):

Holmgren
5​
Suggs
5​
Garcia
4​
Dainja
4​
Carlson
4​
Walton
4​
Hurt
5​
Nnaji
4​
Terry
4​
Jones
5​
Oturu
4​
Sims
4​
Reuvers
4​
Davison
4​
Thompson
4​
Coffey
4​
Jones
5​
Travis
4​
Macura
4​

5 star recruits are rated 5 stars because they fit a certain profile. They have been winning their whole life and have the drive and instinct to do what it takes to win. Part of that is making winning choices. Choices like avoiding a risk to one's career, for pride.They've gotten to this point specifically because they don't make decisions like this.

That is probably most of them however I don't think the 17 counted Tyus and Tre, Gary Trent JR, Matthew Hurt, or Jalen Suggs as they were all 5 star guys. So have to be a few others in there somewhere.
  1. Alex Illikainen
  2. Jarvis Johnson
  3. Sacar Anim
  4. Michael Hurt
  5. Theo John
  6. Goanar Mar
  7. McKinley Wright
  8. Jarvis Omersa
  9. Gabe Kalscheur
  10. Tyler Wahl
  11. Ben Carlson
  12. Kerwin Walton
  13. Gabe Madsen

5 star recruits are rated 5 stars because they fit a certain profile. They have been winning their whole life and have the drive and instinct to do what it takes to win. Part of that is making winning choices. Choices like avoiding a risk to one's career, for pride.They've gotten to this point specifically because they don't make decisions like this.
You mean like Larry Hughes going to Saint Louis?

We used to be able to keep the in state talent when AAU, national travel, and 40 basketball games a week on TV were not a thing. The Gophers were all many knew and wanted to be. Now, players are exposed to so much more, travel so much more, and see teams on TV that they connect with (winning, style of play, former AAU club or HS teammates). It used to be a big thing to say I am staying home so my family and friends can watch me play, but how many Gopher games are not on TV any more? Not to mention in high definition and a big screen.

I believe that the local school's advantage is very small unless a player grew up in a family that was a fan (see Parker Fox and his pictures upon committing). Tamin Lipsey just committed to his home team in Ames and said he dreamed of playing there. How many of our recruiting misses say that? Probably not a lot I would guess. The Gophers are just another team to them. They will need to be persuaded/recruited to play here just like any school. Ben will have to convince them that the U is the best place for them, and not just based on geography.

Going back to 2014 (according to 247):

Holmgren
5​
Suggs
5​
Garcia
4​
Dainja
4​
Carlson
4​
Walton
4​
Hurt
5​
Nnaji
4​
Terry
4​
Jones
5​
Oturu
4​
Sims
4​
Reuvers
4​
Davison
4​
Thompson
4​
Coffey
4​
Jones
5​
Travis
4​
Macura
4​
Davison and Oturu were ranked the same coming out of HS. Yikes.

We used to be able to keep the in state talent when AAU, national travel, and 40 basketball games a week on TV were not a thing. The Gophers were all many knew and wanted to be. Now, players are exposed to so much more, travel so much more, and see teams on TV that they connect with (winning, style of play, former AAU club or HS teammates). It used to be a big thing to say I am staying home so my family and friends can watch me play, but how many Gopher games are not on TV any more? Not to mention in high definition and a big screen.

I believe that the local school's advantage is very small unless a player grew up in a family that was a fan (see Parker Fox and his pictures upon committing). Tamin Lipsey just committed to his home team in Ames and said he dreamed of playing there. How many of our recruiting misses say that? Probably not a lot I would guess. The Gophers are just another team to them. They will need to be persuaded/recruited to play here just like any school. Ben will have to convince them that the U is the best place for them, and not just based on geography.
That's as it should be. You can't keep them down on the farm. People should follow their bliss wherever it leads them.

That said, on the aggregate, we're going to have an easier time identifying and recruiting local talent compared with out-of-town talent.

Top Bottom