Hawk finishes 2nd in D1 in assists with a 7.5 apg and we were 15th in the country at 17.3

Thanks - more positivity is always welcome. Basketball is a wonderful game when the team comes
That is always a good point. It is a wonderful game when played well. That doesn't mean you win all your games. If you play a good schedule against equal talent you can play good basketball and still lose games based on opponent hot shooting, calls against you, bounce of the ball, opponent effort, visiting crowd energy, last second shots. Injuries are important in some games and some seasons. Somehow we have to enjoy well played efforts and savor wins. Of course there is always the ongoing effort to improve talent level, but everyone is doing that. Roster balance is also so important. As is individual experience (Clem's 40 games), team chemistry from playing many games together, and individual and team improvement versus regression. And there are so many intangibles that some wins against teams with better talent will happen. If you have good players, good coaching in terms of preparation and in game adjustments, a team first mentality, improving roster balance and positive team energy. Then there is good basketball that is always fun to watch, whether the results are expected wins, improbable wins, or even competitive losses where the team plays hard and skillfully but the result is not a W. It is a wonderful game.

The Hawkins giveth, and sometimes, The Hawkins taketh away. I love his energy. Sometimes he is going to outrun the team (and quite honestly most of the people on the floor). But he is an absolute menace with the ball in his hands. Lightning quick. Can create and can set others up. Just have to accept there will be several WTF's a game, and enjoy all the rest. :D
On the plus side he really seems to be adjusting to playing at this level and the bad WTF moments have decreased by quite a bit. Has been fun watching him and Mitchell settle in to their roles on this team.

On the plus side he really seems to be adjusting to playing at this level and the bad WTF moments have decreased by quite a bit. Has been fun watching him and Mitchell settle in to their roles on this team.
100%.

I had pretty good seats for the Ball State game and to see him up close and in person at game speed was something else. He can run and dribble a basketball faster than most people can just flat out run in a straight line. His teammates seem to be adjusting to the speed at which he can maneuver the ball, too. I think early in the season he caught many of them by surprise as he came slashing through the lane. Now they know to expect the ball at any time. The young man has a motor that doesn't quit.

If teams don't get back on defense, he is going to score easy layups or dish for easy dunks to one of the trailing bigs. Haven't had a weapon like that in a number of years.

Having an outside shooting threat and athletic bigs to throw to is a dream come true for a guard Hawkins. His speed is dangerous. This team has the tools to cause alot of problems.

He’s now second down by 2, but, we’ll see if Lewis from Quinnipiac can hold on to the lead.

Thought we could use some upbeat news, as certain members of the GH Hoops Intelligentsia, have mercilessly beat the ever living snot out of the L @ Assembly Hall - like they’ve never had an off day🤣.

I expect a bounce back W Monday, with Hawk having a stellar game!

Last edited:

Thought we could use some upbeat news, as certain members of the GH Hoops Intelligentsia, have merciless beat the ever living snot out of the L @ Assembly Hall - like they’ve never had an off day🤣.

I expect a bounce back W Monday, with Hawk having a stellar game!
Does CBJ and the team suck again?

Even with stellar teams, Assembly Hall is a hard place to win. The magical 1997 run required a miraculous come back down 7 with under a minute to play, probably because Clem Haskins was a disaster. ;)

Huge game and ..........wait for it..........Ioway averages more assists as a team than the Gophers. Hawkeyes have yet to win a game in an opposing team's venue this year. Keep that streak going. Payton Sandfort (6' 7" 214) is 10 for 20 on 3's in the last two games. 45-112 overall on 3's.
Too long for Mitchell. Christie probably isn't up to the task.
Not digging these match ups.
They will play 6' 9", 6' 9", 6' 10", 6' 7" and 6' 4"

Does CBJ and the team suck again?
I think we have a crisp, clean effort and if doesn’t come down to the final minute/possession.

I foresee Fran being especially apoplectic😃
Even with stellar teams, Assembly Hall is a hard place to win. The magical 1997 run required a miraculous come back down 7 with under a minute to play, probably because Clem Haskins was a disaster. ;)
Great points.

Early Friday evening start and those students were pregamed and ready to roar.
As soon as we got down early, we were roasted and toasted.

Huge game and ..........wait for it..........Ioway averages more assists as a team than the Gophers.
Yes, 19.8 to 19.1, it’s not a glacial divide😉
Hawkeyes have yet to win a game in an opposing team's venue this year.
Yipee!!
Keep that streak going.
Double Yippee!!

Payton Sandfort (6' 7" 214) is 10 for 20 on 3's in the last two games. 45-112 overall on 3's.Too long for Mitchell. Christie probably isn't up to the task.
Not digging these match ups.
They will play 6' 9", 6' 9", 6' 10", 6' 7" and 6' 4"
The bigger they come….🤞

It’s axiomatic that we have improved and today is what we need to get ready, for our tourney push.

Playing a tough opponent, at a place where we have rarely won.

Hawkins has marginally increased his assist lead and I think he’ll pull it off.

I think Hawk is ready to roll and is in double digit assists to lead us to - Victory

Double double as Hawk dishes an 11 course meal as we defang the 🦁

You sure you wanna keep doing this? You're like, oh fer your last 5. Positively Ihnen from 3 level.
This thread, is regarding him being the nation’s assist leader, which he has been for every week, sans one, since I started posting this thread.

D’oh🤦‍♂️.

If you’re going to insult me, at least do it in the correct thread (Hint: 👃).

Last edited:

Irony of ironies, we’re tied for 7th with Iowa.

A Pass Off to be settled in Iowa City on SB Sunday. Our Hawk will triumph over those Hawkeyes.

Hawk with 6 dishes in the first half. 5 more in the second half for the W

Last edited:

Hopefully al couple more 9+ assist games salts this title away.

Hoops historians -

Has an Gopher ever lead the nation in any category prior?

I think he's pretty well liked already (except by the miserable losers, of course). He makes things happen and is one of the more exciting players in the league. He makes some wild plays that don't always work out but that's part of his charm.
I do like him better the T'Lon Cooper.

Hopefully al couple more 9+ assist games salts this title away.

Hoops historians -

Has an Gopher ever lead the nation in any category prior?
Tubby could have won title for most nap time on bench but they don't keep good records. For sure Clem led the nation is times suit jacket fired into the crowd.

I would also nominate Sam Jacobsen for longest dunk. Saw him once elevate just past the free throw line and get it down. In a Big Ten game.

Heading into the final week of the regular season, it’s neck and neck for the dish 👑.

Tyler Kolek, from Marquette, has 214 in 28 games for a 7.6 apg and our beloved Hawk has 211 in 28 game for a 7.5 apg; as you can imagine the winner with be assists per game.

Kolek suffered an oblique injury last week. They play UCONN tomorrow, who they can’t catch in the standings and Xavier Saturday, that’s barely above.500. I’d guess that he sits Wednesday.

It would be amazing hat trick for Hawk to set the single game, season records and lead the country in assists the same year, while leading us to a 20 win season - THAT’S LEGEND LAND.

Go get ‘em Hawk!

The Hawkins stat I like is that he is third on team in rebounds at 3.7 per game , ahead of Cam, JOJ, Fox, Ihnen, Mitchell, Carrington (huge minutes play a role but still pretty impressive).

Also has 1.7 steals per game with Mitchell at 1.4. Those two were both highly needed.

Last edited:

He’s really good, but per that one twitter thread from skunk fan a few years ago, don’t we kind of cook the books with home assist numbers?

Top Bottom