Hawk finishes 2nd in D1 in assists with a 7.5 apg and we were 15th in the country at 17.3

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score

This is beyond awesome.

He has tightened up his game and has cut down drastically on the TOs. He has a respectable To/assist ratio of 2.89 which is 46th in the country (anything over 3/1 is elite!!

Before his run is over he will be beloved❤️❤️❤️.

Who knows, maybe CBJ is a frickin Genius (he got into Northwestern, did you?)

Hawk finishes 2nd in D1 in assists with a 7.5 apg and we were 15th in the country at 17.3

Last edited:

I think he's pretty well liked already (except by the miserable losers, of course). He makes things happen and is one of the more exciting players in the league. He makes some wild plays that don't always work out but that's part of his charm.

Ben needs to figure out a scheme to get help for Hawkins when big guards take him down low. We are getting creamed when he gets taken to the basket.

In the 4 games since the Nebraska game he has played 135 minutes, 6 turnovers and 47 assists. In the last 2 games is 7 of 14 on field goals, 3 of 5 from three, 7 of 8 from the stripe and 5 steals.
Mitchell in the last 2 games is 14 for 21 on field goals, 9 of 13 from three.
Christie with 25 rebounds in the last 4 games.

He is extremely fun to watch with the ball in his hands. He's going to make a few bad plays, but he has the ball in his hands ALOT. And those bad plays have gone down significantly as he gets used to playing against teams like this. He has a flare that we haven't seen in a while and it's a refreshing change of pace.

He is extremely fun to watch with the ball in his hands. He's going to make a few bad plays, but he has the ball in his hands ALOT. And those bad plays have gone down significantly as he gets used to playing against teams like this. He has a flare that we haven't seen
I think that confidence rubs off on his teammates. He’s won at every level, despite being dismissed due to his size,

in a while and it's a refreshing change of pace.

Last edited:

I think he's pretty well liked already (except by the miserable losers, of course).
Yes, he is liked, but I’m talking that BIG L PG ❤️, ala Orr & McDonald - we look back at his time here and it’s spoken with in reverential terms and posters like @BleedGopher accost him at gas stations
⛽

He makes things happen and is one of the more exciting players in the league. He makes some wild plays that don't always work out but that's part of his charm.

I think that confidence rubs off on his teammates. He’s win at every level, despite being dismissed due to his size,

Sure, that's always going to happen in a tall man's game but, when it comes to fan support, I think small stature can be a positive. Allen Iverson certainly was one of the most popular players of his era Our previous mighty mite, Deandre Mathieu, was fun to watch too.

On that list of top A/TO numbers Tre Holloman is #4 with 5.12 ratio and Ta'lon Cooper is #7 with 4.15 ration. Elijah is #43 with 2.87 ratio but that is steadily increasing.

And I like the 101 total assists as compared to 41 for Tre and 58 for Ta'lon. Elijah has more assists than those two combined. And he is so much quicker than Cooper whose lack of quickness got painful last year during BIG season. Elijah is just so much more fun to watch, as others have mentioned. In fact he is so quick that it might be possible that his defense could get better over time. Dave Thorson has a history of guards with defensive chops. Height is not everything.

Last edited:

This is beyond awesome.

He has tightened up his game and has cut down drastically on the TOs. He has a respectable To/assist ratio of 2.89 which is 46th in the country (anything over 3/1 is elite!!

Who knows, maybe CBJ is a frickin Genius (he got into Northwestern, did you?)
The awesomeness continues🍾🎉🎵😎🥳🤩🥸

As of 1/5 Hawk still leads the country- who knew we recruited a STATESMAN - but. He’s from DC, so it makes sense.

To/assist ratio of 2.92 which is 42th in the country (anything over 3/1 is elite!!)

Last edited:

The awesomeness continues🍾🎉🎵😎🥳🤩🥸

As of 1/5 Hawk still leads the country- who knew we recruited a STATESMAN - but. He’s from DC, so it makes sense.

To/assist ratio of 2.92 which is 42th in the country (anything over 3/1 is elite!!)
As long as we keep sharing the ball and keep our team total up, we’ll be a tough beat.

Marcus Carr and hero ball seem like a lifetime ago😏

Tre Holloman is at #3 and Ta'lon Cooper is at #7 for Assist/Turnover Rato.

Tre Holloman is at #3 and Ta'lon Cooper is at #7 for Assist/Turnover Rato.
Classof66 covered it in his post. Hawkins has more assists than Cooper and Holloman combined and has been on an absolute monster run of late in terms of assists to turnovers so his number will probably keep moving up in the right direction now that he is doing a much better job taking care of the ball.

Classof66 covered it in his post. Hawkins has more assists than Cooper and Holloman combined and has been on an absolute monster run of late in terms of assists to turnovers so his number will probably keep moving up in the right direction now that he is doing a much better job taking care of the ball.
Yup, he had to adjust to a better level of play and is now doing so with aplomb.

It would also be interesting to see how his minutes played compare to the other two as well.

Yup, he had to adjust to a better level of play and is now doing so with aplomb.

It would also be interesting to see how his minutes played compare to the other two as well.
I can do that.

Hawkins has 108 assists in 418 minutes or 1 assist per 3.87 minutes of playing time.

Holloman has 47 assists in 267 minutes or 1 assist per 5.68 minutes of playing time.

Cooper has 58 assists in 412 minutes or 1 assist per 7.1 minutes of playing time.

Hawk's numbers are very impressive.

Looks like Cooper and Hawkins both average about 31 minutes a game while Tre comes in closer to 20 minutes a game.

Hawkins has done a great job adjusting his game. If you cut his season in half the difference is striking.

Through the first 7 games - 38 assists, 22 turnovers - 1.7 assist to turnover
Games 8-14 (which includes all 3 Big Ten games) - 70 assists, 15 turnovers - 4.6 assist to turnover

And even though Cooper is a big guard, quick guards could walk right around him. Hawkins is a super QUICK guard and has higher potential on the defensive side, especially in pressuring opponents out on the periphery. That is the way I see it anyway. His defense in the Michigan game was much better than earlier in season.

We are so much better with Hawkins than Cooper. He was mostly empty stats last year and it was like he was playing in mud hes so slow.

Im still a little worried about Hawkins against bigger guards like someone like Hoggard on MSU will just back him down at will. But Cooper was 6'4 and couldnt guard any decent big 10 guard either. So give me the dude who plays with pace and really keeps the ball moving(which is more than just assists).

I can do that.

Hawkins has 108 assists in 418 minutes or 1 assist per 3.87 minutes of playing time.

Holloman has 47 assists in 267 minutes or 1 assist per 5.68 minutes of playing time.

Cooper has 58 assists in 412 minutes or 1 assist per 7.1 minutes of playing time.

Hawk's numbers are very impressive.
Thank you and Wow!

Looks like Cooper and Hawkins both average about 31 minutes a game while Tre comes in closer to 20 minutes a game.

Hawkins has done a great job adjusting his game. If you cut his season in half the difference is striking.

Through the first 7 games - 38 assists, 22 turnovers - 1.7 assist to turnover
Games 8-14 (which includes all 3 Big Ten games) - 70 assists, 15 turnovers - 4.6 assist to turnover
And even though Cooper is a big guard, quick guards could walk right around him. Hawkins is a super QUICK guard and has higher potential on the defensive side, especially in pressuring opponents out on the periphery. That is the way I see it anyway. His defense in the Michigan game was much better than earlier in season.
All B10 potential

He is extremely fun to watch with the ball in his hands. He's going to make a few bad plays, but he has the ball in his hands ALOT. And those bad plays have gone down significantly as he gets used to playing against teams like this. He has a flare that we haven't seen in a while and it's a refreshing change of pace.
The Hawkins giveth, and sometimes, The Hawkins taketh away. I love his energy. Sometimes he is going to outrun the team (and quite honestly most of the people on the floor). But he is an absolute menace with the ball in his hands. Lightning quick. Can create and can set others up. Just have to accept there will be several WTF's a game, and enjoy all the rest. :D

As long as we keep sharing the ball and keep our team total up, we’ll be a tough beat.

Marcus Carr and hero ball seem like a lifetime ago😏
The difference between Carr/hero ball and today is coaching. The difference between a coach allowing one and another demanding team play.

Top Bottom