Hawk finishes 2nd in D1 in assists with a 7.5 apg and we were 15th in the country at 17.3

He’s really good, but per that one twitter thread from skunk fan a few years ago, don’t we kind of cook the books with home assist numbers?
I mean there might be 1 or 2 borderline assists per game that the scorer could give a player but it is a pretty straightforward stat.

And if you look at his game logs there is not a drastic difference between his home/road assist totals. And teams tend to play better at home so it would stand to reason that his assist totals at home will tend to be better then they would be on the road.

I mean there might be 1 or 2 borderline assists per game that the scorer could give a player but it is a pretty straightforward stat.

And if you look at his game logs there is not a drastic difference between his home/road assist totals. And teams tend to play better at home so it would stand to reason that his assist totals at home will tend to be better then they would be on the road.

8.2 at home vs 6.1 road/neutral. That’s pretty big.

8.2 at home vs 6.1 road/neutral. That’s pretty big.
Look....I don't know if you actually believe there is something fishy going on or if you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. But feel free to go back, watch a game, come up with your own assist total and see if it matches what the official scorekeeper had.

But if you are going to compare home and road games you should probably just look at conference games only since some of those home games were against really weak teams where Hawkins probably racked up a bunch of assists tossing it in to guys like Payne and Garcia for shots right at the rim.

And if you have actually been watching the game you would have seen a pass first point guard that was really good at setting guys up and in most games (definitely not last night) the guys were knocking down shots. Will go out on a limb and bet that his highest assist totals probably correspond with games where we shot the ball really well.

Look....I don't know if you actually believe there is something fishy going on or if you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. But feel free to go back, watch a game, come up with your own assist total and see if it matches what the official scorekeeper had.

But if you are going to compare home and road games you should probably just look at conference games only since some of those home games were against really weak teams where Hawkins probably racked up a bunch of assists tossing it in to guys like Payne and Garcia for shots right at the rim.

And if you have actually been watching the game you would have seen a pass first point guard that was really good at setting guys up and in most games (definitely not last night) the guys were knocking down shots. Will go out on a limb and bet that his highest assist totals probably correspond with games where we shot the ball really well.
Yeah not surprising assist totals are greater at home. Usually teams shoot better on home court, therefore assist totals are naturally higher. Pretty easy explanation. If we are being more generous at home, I can't imagine it would be greater than 10 additional assists total for an entire season.

Yeah not surprising assist totals are greater at home. Usually teams shoot better on home court, therefore assist totals are naturally higher. Pretty easy explanation. If we are being more generous at home, I can't imagine it would be greater than 10 additional assists total for an entire season.
They are exceedingly generous. Indiana had 28 assists on 30 fgs. Ware had 12 buckets, numerous of which were back downs. They are also very free in giving them to Hawkins (I bet his home assist lines frequently as you usually get some value as the prop is set 1 or so lower than his season avg at home). For example, he has passed numerous times to Christie on the wing, who jab steps and cuts inside then takes multiple dribbles to the rim as an assist. Idk how much it in totality inflates his numbers, but the game we were absolutely lights out shooting and passed the ball the exact same, we had 14 assists on 36 FGs. I don’t think being at all malicious about doing it as they do it for both teams (and all Players on both teams), but it does inflate the stats. We average 16.5 assists at 71.3ppg at home vs 14.4 assists at 74.5ppg on the road. that doesn't add up as it's not like we change our offense home vs road (this is just B10 stats to try avoid skew for the blowouts of non con)

Last edited:

Congrats Hawk on a stellar regular season and finishing second in the country to Marquette’s Tyler Kolek, who edged you 7.6 vs 7.5. Kolek was Bug East 2023 POY snd made multiple AA teams - no shame finishing second to him.

We were in the team top ten all season long and tailed off at the end, which coincided with our end of the year tailspin.

Not trying to troll, but does he pass too much?
There are times when he could maybe take a 3 for himself but for the most part he makes good decisions on when to pass and when to shoot.

The biggest issue (pun intended) is that he can drive to the basket with ease but finishing is tough because of his size once he gets in among the trees. So in a lot of cases where other PG might drive for a layup, Hawkins is often driving while looking to pass.

Kolek with 11 assists in Marquette's 87-69 win over W Kentucky. Retakes the assist lead over Elijah.

7.76 apg to 7.69

Kolek with 11 assists Sunday afternoon vs Colorado. Hawkins needs 14+ assists, this afternoon, to pass him.

7.87 to 7.69

Kolek with 11 assists Sunday afternoon vs Colorado. Hawkins needs 14+ assists, this afternoon, to pass him.

7.87 to 7.69

Thanks for keeping this updated😃

I erroneously thought it was like pro sports where they only count regular season games - do another opportunity to learn something new

Tyler Kolek's season ends with Marquette losing tonight. He only had 3 assists, ends the season at 7.7 apg. Elijah Hawkins ends up at 7.5 apg.

Tyler Kolek's season ends with Marquette losing tonight. He only had 3 assists, ends the season at 7.7 apg. Elijah Hawkins ends up at 7.5 apg.
Smith had 15 assists today, as Purdue keeps playing, he still has a shot to win the crown

Reactions: Rex

Top Bottom