Halfway through Spring, Ohio State has no leader out of three QBS

If our D-Line and Linebackers don't improve the QB's might never have a chance to throw the ball. Not much incentive to pass if you can average 8 yds a carry.

My guess is we will tighten that loose screw up, but we will find out quick with OSU's line just where the weak spots are.
Anyone who was paying attention last year saw the improvement happening as the season went on so it is pretty logical to think they will continue to get better with a traditional off season combined with the fact that basically everyone involved with run defense is back. Plus some key new additions like Pinckney and the return of Oliver should also help.

Over 7 games last year we allowed an average of 6.4 yards per carry. That is too high but if you drill down a little you can see how the team improved in run defense as the season went on.

After 2 games we were allowing 8.7 yards per carry
If you look at the next 3 games after that the average yards per carry dips to 5.6
And if you just look at the final 5 games of the season the number is 5.4
And if you just look at the final 3 games of the season the number is 5.1

No matter how you slice it the rushing defense will have to continue to improve. But the narrative about giving up 8 yards a carry needs to go away because clearly the team adjusted after those first 2 games and did significantly better against the run over the remainder of the season.

If our D-Line and Linebackers don't improve the QB's might never have a chance to throw the ball. Not much incentive to pass if you can average 8 yds a carry.

My guess is we will tighten that loose screw up, but we will find out quick with OSU's line just where the weak spots are.
No doubt. The best way to break in a brand new QB and settle him down ... is a healthy prescription of running the ball up the other team's rear end, and then hitting them with some easy play-action completions.

Would not be surprised at all if that is the main theme of OSU's initial script.

Anyone who was paying attention last year saw the improvement happening as the season went on so it is pretty logical to think they will continue to get better with a traditional off season combined with the fact that basically everyone involved with run defense is back. Plus some key new additions like Pinckney and the return of Oliver should also help.
The upgrades at DL and Oliver over Aune should give us an instant lift.

😆

Hey dummy, I actually know how to use a scroll wheel.

I've been looking for a good recipe from scratch to make biscuits at home.

Anyone got one they like?
I can help with cornbread...but you need to have a cured iron skillet...

Mine has dents in it from when Mrs. Billd applies it to my noggin...

I've been using this one for years. Fantastic:

Yep...that works as well as going ahead and using Aunt Jemima Self-Rising Corn Meal...

For something really special, use this recipe plus 1/2 can of cream corn and two big dollups of sour cream to go with the real buttermilk...plus another egg...and you get a "richer" cornbread that bakes/finishes just like regular CB.

For chili...and my chili is getting hot again...add a small can of drained sliced jalapeno's to the mix and bake right in. Yum, yum...

Yep...that works as well as going ahead and using Aunt Jemima Self-Rising Corn Meal...

For something really special, use this recipe plus 1/2 can of cream corn and two big dollups of sour cream to go with the real buttermilk...plus another egg...and you get a "richer" cornbread that bakes/finishes just like regular CB.

For chili...and my chili is getting hot again...add a small can of drained sliced jalapeno's to the mix and bake right in. Yum, yum...
I'm gonna skip the cream corn (not a fan), but I'll def try the extra egg and SC.

But the narrative about giving up 8 yards a carry needs to go away because clearly the team adjusted after those first 2 games and did significantly better against the run over the remainder of the season.
Iowa had 6.7 per attempt.

That was really the game that pissed most people off. Just not competitive in the slightest, the whole game, and at home to boot.

Michigan, at least they were competitive early on before the wheels fell off.

Iowa had 6.7 per attempt.

That was really the game that pissed most people off. Just not competitive in the slightest, the whole game, and at home to boot.

Michigan, at least they were competitive early on before the wheels fell off.
Cats have 230 bones, while humans only have 206.

Poor Ohio State - struggling to figure out which one of their 4* and 5* recruits to start at QB. I weep for them......

Hey - I'm not saying it's impossible.

But, given the gap in raw talent between OSU and MN, in order for the Gophers to win, they would have to play a near-perfect game, and OSU would have to have some things go wrong.

You never know - a fumble at the wrong time, a key penalty, a big special teams play - those can all swing a game in a hurry.

But if you are just lining up the teams based on raw talent, stars, dots, or any other rating system, the simple fact is that OSU has better athletes and more of them. In track terms, the Gophers have to make up the stagger and then some. And maybe hope that OSU drops the baton in the exchange zone.

now, the fact that it is the 1st game of the year does give it some intrigue. But I am not going to bet my IRA on the outcome. (I can't bet my 401K - I closed that out when my station changed ownership and the new owners decided they were not going to have a 401K.)

But I am not going to bet my IRA on the outcome. (I can't bet my 401K - I closed that out when my station changed ownership and the new owners decided they were not going to have a 401K.)
This sucks. Signs of the times though. Keep putting money aside.

This sucks. Signs of the times though. Keep putting money aside.
Anyone can open an IRA and put after-tax dollars in it. Some would argue this is a better route than a 401k, which often limits the funds you can choose.

Particularly if you're passive and just want the lowest possible fee Vanguard S&P 500 tracking fund.

Wonder if we should put forth a mercy rule for them after the 3rd quarter?

Hell no, I want PJ in the presser saying we hadn't practiced kneel downs enough so we had to score one more.

Anyone can open an IRA and put after-tax dollars in it. Some would argue this is a better route than a 401k, which often limits the funds you can choose.

Particularly if you're passive and just want the lowest possible fee Vanguard S&P 500 tracking fund.
Yep, but ya know no matching dollars is probably the rub.

The yearly contribution limits are miles apart.

Yep, but ya know no matching dollars is probably the rub.
That and the whole 401k vs IRA debate is LARGELY dependent on your ability to predict investing out comes AND future taxes.

Those are not certain values. If you get good matching amounts, 401k 4 life. Otherwise it's all about unknowns.

Fun side note: IRS actually came knocking (well mailing) saying I cashed out a 401k ages ago. They wanted a ton of money. Foretuantely after I mailed them back and forth a few times we got it sorted out.

Top Bottom