Halftime competition

I’m a student at the U and I’ll be doing the halftime competition (punt, pass, and kick) tomorrow afternoon. I’m super excited for it, hoping I’ll be able to succeed, I’ve been practicing for a few weeks. Anyone got any tips/tricks/done this before?
Wear good kicking shoes. Can make a big difference for the field goal. If you don't own soccer shoes, wear something like a tight fitting running shoe.

Wear good kicking shoes. Can make a big difference for the field goal. If you don't own soccer shoes, wear something like a tight fitting running shoe.
Expect the ball to be hard too with an air temp around 30 degrees...any brands of steel-toed kicking shoes out there?

Good luck regardless. My recollection is that at least 1 and maybe 2 folks have split the uprights in the history of TCF. Would be great for a GHer to join that august group.

Good luck! Don’t try to “kill it” on the punt. Think of it like golf, just hit it smooth. If you do that you will hit a good one. Every time you try to get all of it you shank it, and when you do connect you usually don’t even gain much yardage.

Do not use too much competition "juice" like beer, schnapps.......

Like a previous poster said, nice and easy, follow through, get the ball up on the kick.

Run a fake punt - instead of punting it, do a run up the middle to gain yards. They'll never see that coming - you'll catch 'em by total surprise and no one will be able to catch up to you for the tackle. Or at least do this (take about 10 steps and then punt it).

BTW, how did you get picked? Is it something you enter, or just totally random?

I don't know if I have ever seen anyone actually complete it... maybe one or two...

It seems like no one takes their time, especially on the punt and the pass.

Just stay focused on what you practiced. You'll do fine.

Hahaha thank you for all of the advice. I’ve been practicing for a few weeks on and off, then went to the local middle school field with my buddies and played our annual thanksgiving game then practiced for a while. I’m gonna wear my running shoes that are nice and tight.

It seems to all come down to the punt. I can get it anywhere from 30-60 yards if I hit it good and it rolls nicely, or if it totally dies when it hits the ground. The kick is definitely the next hardest, I want to be inside the 10-15 with the ball on the tee. I’m pretty confident I can do it as long as I punt close to the 50. Definitely won’t be drinking too much beforehand, but will celebrate hard after if I get it.

My roommate’s girlfriend’s roommate works for sports marketing and put me in touch with the right person. Been wanting to do this for a really long time so I’m very excited to get a chance.

Ask a soccer player where to place your plant foot, before you try to kick it.

Good luck!

Kick straight on with the toe. Much easier to make a short field goal if you don't practice a lot soccer style. Less chance of choking as well
#BlairWalshEndzone

I did this back in 2015 (made a 25 yard kick)- its all about the place kick. Just like in golf, don't look up until we'll after you make contact with the ball. it's really easy to pull your head and shank it. Correct contact is better than shear power - take a nice easy/smooth swing.

As maybe (likely?) the only former collegiate kicker on this board I’ll say this:

When kicking, keep your head down. Don’t look up. Head down. Head down. Head down. Exactly like golf. Do not fucking look up. Drive through the ball.

For punting, watch your foot hit the ball. Don’t worry about where it’s going. They’ll help you out in finding it. Just follow through.

Just try to relax if possible.

Know that you're not like Stephen A. Smith. You don't run your mouth on here. You don't lie about being a former college player. So whatever happens...it's no big deal.

Try to get a good bounce on your punt, get a good roll going forward. Don't pull a hamstring, get stretched out before and warmed up. Have fun with it, good luck.

We (myself included) all said to relax. Like to prevent choking.

But after it's all over...you'll be wondering why you weren't in kick-ass mode...at least getting fired-up...blasting the kick & stuff even if it's high risk and a higher chance of going haywire.

I say forget details. Go out there like you're Hulk Hogan and let it rip. A 5% chance to win is better than a guaranteed 2nd-place finish.

Top Bottom