Greenlee

Greenlee = Mav Ahanmisi in terms of expectations. By Junior/Senior year he might be a decent reserve. That's his ceiling.

Could easily be a silly thought, as I don't know anything about how a major DI college basketball practice is run: but do you really need more than 10 solid guys, to do 5-on-5 drills?
There are many, many reasons you want more than 10 guys. A couple have been mentioned.
1. If I wanna talk to a guy, I don’t want 9 guys waiting while we talk. Somebody replaces him.
2. Lot of stuff is 3 on 3. Two buckets is 12 guys.
3. The Gophers probably have 6 managers but in high school extra kids can kinda be managers....retrieving balls, keeping track scores in competitive drills. Yadda yadda
4. Number one reason has been mentioned....somebody gets a bloody nose, gets hit in the groin, poked in the eye, loses a contact, feels sick, is sick, has no endurance,
Etc Etc never ending...Unless you have 12 minimum beyond injured guys you are skeleton 5 on 0, 4 on 4 or you shoot free throws and wait until they recover.

Didn’t get a chance, or weren’t good enough to get in the game? Ihnen and Williams did.

Just being the devil’s advocate, your point is valid.
Last year was tough. Every game was close. Hardly ever were there blowouts. Forced Pitino’s hand imo. Many times the Gophs could of put teams away and sadly they couldn’t. And that kept the backups on the bench. In the same vein they alway fought back when down 10–15 points too.

During the season is when teams get better. During the off-season is when individuals get better. Greenlee was what he was last year during the season. The question is, what is he (or anyone really) doing right now to improve their individual skills more than anyone else? Especially with the isolated environment we are currently experiencing, those who can find a way to get "more better" than the competition will be favored next season.

Last year was tough. Every game was close. Hardly ever were there blowouts. Forced Pitino’s hand imo. Many times the Gophs could of put teams away and sadly they couldn’t. And that kept the backups on the bench. In the same vein they alway fought back when down 10–15 points too.
So true. Even if the situation was favorable there is not a single program that has all recruits work out in terms of development and production. The best teams have guys that are not good enough but they know their role and do their best to play a vital role in less obvious ways.

Greenlee has the potential to be a Jordan Goldwire (Duke) type player. Is he ever gonna be a double digit scorer? Probably not. If he can develop a somewhat reliable catch and shoot three, he could be used situationally for the next three years. If you are looking to take pressure off of Carr without taking him out of the game, having someone you can trust to guard the ball for 6-8 minutes reliably is something Pitino can work with. We don't need a roster of 13 guys thinking they are going to be the man. He seems like a low maintenance, hardworking kid who could potentially earn minutes down the line as he progresses. We don't need him to be a miracle worker, just a solid/experienced back up point guard would be great, and they are pretty tough to keep in a college basketball program.

Put me in the camp that says Greenlee can play and I’m glad he’s here. I still fondly remember the athleticism he displayed against DePaul. His steal with 10 seconds left gave us a shot at a tie:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tw...s-late-chance-blocked-by-unbeaten-depaul/amp/

Before making the steal, he came in for a spent-Carr, which might explain why he looked like lightning snatching the steal. Still, he made the play.

And then at Michigan State he looked good until someone seemed to have smashed his tooth out. I like his grit.

I think I saw Seth Greenberg say recently that the biggest jump is between freshman and sophomore year, because kids begin to understand how hard they have to work to succeed. It’s unfortunate we didn’t redshirt greenlee since he saw so few minutes, but nonetheless I think we will know a lot more about his future by the end of next year. I’m happy to wait patiently for him to develop.

I think I saw Seth Greenberg say recently that the biggest jump is between freshman and sophomore year, because kids begin to understand how hard they have to work to succeed. It’s unfortunate we didn’t redshirt greenlee since he saw so few minutes, but nonetheless I think we will know a lot more about his future by the end of next year. I’m happy to wait patiently for him to develop.
Greenberg is right. Plus, every member of the team is very important to the team.

Greenberg is right. Plus, every member of the team is very important to the team.

I tend to look at point guards like baseball teams look at catchers. You need 3. Starter goes down, backup gets hurt, you really want that 3rd guy. How many hot shot point guards that we'd all love to have, do you think would be willing to be that 3rd, just in case point guard? I think keeping
Greenlee is a pretty good option.

Any of you think Pitino is trying to convince him to transfer out of here? He's pretty much just a body with limited positives for this team. I am not exactly sure how this works, but if he were to transfer out that would open up another spot to have someone eligible come in right away? Any recruits we are still interested in or transfers? Sounds like it's no guarantee that Robbins will be able to suit up next year and Carr could very well play overseas (let's hope not). We may need someone at least competent if that's the case.

Stop with the ambulance chasing. Carr is coming back, he's told the coaching staff as much, he's in the draft process to get the info on what he needs to get more looks from scouts by this time next year.

The NCAA vote on the 1-time transfer is May 20. I would be surprised if Liam Robbins didn't get a waiver regardless. Quite frankly, Drew Peterson has a similar case. He's from Illinois and left Rice, in Texas, to be closer to family in Illinois. It's a 45-minute flight if, heaven forbid, something Covid-19 related were to happen in his family.

We're worried because Carr's waiver got denied two years ago, but the Pitt AD was on the waiver board and out to screw Carr.

I tend to look at point guards like baseball teams look at catchers. You need 3. Starter goes down, backup gets hurt, you really want that 3rd guy. How many hot shot point guards that we'd all love to have, do you think would be willing to be that 3rd, just in case point guard? I think keeping
Greenlee is a pretty good option.
Only problem was he wasn't our 3rd last year, he was our 2nd. And will be back to 2nd when Carr leaves.

Stop with the ambulance chasing. Carr is coming back, he's told the coaching staff as much, he's in the draft process to get the info on what he needs to get more looks from scouts by this time next year.

The NCAA vote on the 1-time transfer is May 20. I would be surprised if Liam Robbins didn't get a waiver regardless. Quite frankly, Drew Peterson has a similar case. He's from Illinois and left Rice, in Texas, to be closer to family in Illinois. It's a 45-minute flight if, heaven forbid, something Covid-19 related were to happen in his family.

We're worried because Carr's waiver got denied two years ago, but the Pitt AD was on the waiver board and out to screw Carr.
I like where your head's at, but I'm not as sure about predicting the NCAA's decisions. They have too often seemed arbitrary. My gut says we should be OK on Liam, but I'm not so certain on Drew. Liam's got the family angle. Drew just wants to play in the B1G and attend a great business school. I'd grant the waiver, but I may be biased.

Only problem was he wasn't our 3rd last year, he was our 2nd. And will be back to 2nd when Carr leaves.

You're 100% convinced that Carr is not playing for the Gophers this upcoming season? Everything I've seen/heard points at him playing for the Gophers again.

I think Willis was #2. Greenlee was #3 on the PG depth chart last year. I'd like to see him get some regular minutes if for no other reason than to keep Carr fresh. If Greenlee knew he was going to get a 2-3 minute splash in first half and one again in the second half, he might not press quite so much. I felt like he was trying so hard to be precise and not make mistakes that he played tense. He always seemed to fire a 98 mph fastball to a guy 10 feet away and the team (and he) couldn't get into a rhythm. It all depends on how we use Mashburn next year. If Mashburn proves to be a solid playmaker and not just an undersized SG, it may be tough for Greenlee to see minutes unless someone's in foul trouble.

You're 100% convinced that Carr is not playing for the Gophers this upcoming season? Everything I've seen/heard points at him playing for the Gophers again.
No, not saying that. But I'm thinking he'll probably leave after this season, leaving us with, I'm assuming, Mashburn as the starting PG and Greenlee back to #2.

Obviously, Pitino could recruit a PG in next year's class to either back up Mashburn or, if he's good enough, take the reins as the starter and allow Mashburn to play the combo guard role. We'll see I guess.

Greenlee is like a Kevin Payton. Nice kid, plays okay defense, knows the game. Unfortunately not athletic enough for D1 and he I can tell you right now will never contribute much to the team. If Carr returns I'd personally like him to transfer. We need whatever we can get that is competent.

Considering he was a freshman with very limited playing time last year, I thought his defense was better than okay. He came into college being known as a great defender and is actually one of our more athletic players. Didn't we just have this same Greenlee bashing thread a few weeks ago? I'll say it again: freshmen pgs usually look pretty terrible, especially when they are hardly getting any experience to adjust to competition. He might not have star potential, but I think people are underestimating his value.

No, not saying that. But I'm thinking he'll probably leave after this season, leaving us with, I'm assuming, Mashburn as the starting PG and Greenlee back to #2.

Obviously, Pitino could recruit a PG in next year's class to either back up Mashburn or, if he's good enough, take the reins as the starter and allow Mashburn to play the combo guard role. We'll see I guess.

We are in on some solid pg's for next year. Frankie Collins being one main one. We are on Kendall Brown too, but he's a top 50 kid and could be hard to get, but he's at sunrise.

I remember Frankie Collins coming on a visit during a football game last year. I'd be happy with landing him. I knew the name Kendall Brown, but I thought he was a wing not a PG.

I remember Frankie Collins coming on a visit during a football game last year. I'd be happy with landing him. I knew the name Kendall Brown, but I thought he was a wing not a PG.

Pt Forward type. He's around 6-6. Played pt/combo at East Ridge. Not sure about Sunrise. In our offense he'd be a primary ball handler

Last edited:

Right now, I think getting out of Illinois is a pretty good case, too.

Did not know Pitt AD was that intimate in the process. I thought it was just Pitt not cooperating, but that ratchets it up a notch. Sounds like a classic case of necessary recusal.

I believe this. I really do. I just wish he would've sent me a draft of the Tweet he was planning to send out. I could have helped him make some painfully obvious edits, so it wouldn't look like a clear as day "goodbye fans" letter, when there never was any valid reason for it to look that way in the first place.

I would be surprised if Liam Robbins didn't get a waiver regardless. Quite frankly, Drew Peterson has a similar case. He's from Illinois and left Rice, in Texas, to be closer to family in Illinois. It's a 45-minute flight if, heaven forbid, something Covid-19 related were to happen in his family.
If they're trying to use the Family Hardship waiver, the language is clear as crystal that neither of these guys have a leg to stand on, there.

I hope they can submit some other type of waiver request, massage it a bit with "covid-19" being in the letter the maximum number of times, and then hope the waiver group approves it anyway.

UVA right? Semi joking
That is getting pretty far ahead but I do know the loved that offer. Depends what he is looking for and they are pretty far with that class but you never know. His offer list is very impressive and he is very detailed about what he likes.

Top Bottom