Greenlee

Gopherfan1000

Reaction score
Any of you think Pitino is trying to convince him to transfer out of here? He's pretty much just a body with limited positives for this team. I am not exactly sure how this works, but if he were to transfer out that would open up another spot to have someone eligible come in right away? Any recruits we are still interested in or transfers? Sounds like it's no guarantee that Robbins will be able to suit up next year and Carr could very well play overseas (let's hope not). We may need someone at least competent if that's the case.

Any of you think Pitino is trying to convince him to transfer out of here? He's pretty much just a body with limited positives for this team. I am not exactly sure how this works, but if he were to transfer out that would open up another spot to have someone eligible come in right away? Any recruits we are still interested in or transfers? Sounds like it's no guarantee that Robbins will be able to suit up next year and Carr could very well play overseas (let's hope not). We may need someone at least competent if that's the case.
I'm not sure how the Gophs could afford not having him on the team. Carr is still technically a mystery. Mashburn wasn't really recruited to play pg. I just don't see Pitino risking telling his only other true pg to take a hike.

I don't mind the Greenlee spot on the roster at all. You can't play 13 guys. The question is more what Greenlee's expectations are. If he is content to practice hard, improve and earn his way onto the court in the future, then keep him. If he is frustrated by a perceived lack of a future here then let him go. If Carr leaves which is highly doubtful, then we would have Carr's scholly to go out and find another transfer. Mashburn would play the point in that scenario and Greenlee would have shot to be a depth player, but you can bet your last dollar that they would get another PG transfer if Carr left.

Depends how fast (if) Carr comes back. I have no idea what to expect on that.

If he were to come back sooner than later, for whatever reason, then Greenlee could use the likely to be updated transfer guidelines to seek a transfer elsewhere.

If for some reason Carr doesn't come back, then I think Mash and Greenlee will handle the PG spot in some kind of combination.

We can’t afford to keep throwing away scholarships at flyers on one year transfers. We need guys like greenlee to stay (redshirt?) and develop in the system so they can be dependable upper classmen.

Why is there such a huge assumption that he can't play, there hasn't been much evidence one way or the other and to assume that because Pitino didn't play him he must not be big ten caliber doesn't always ring true. Pitino didn't play Stockman much and he was more than capable of playing in the B1G. He's definately athletic enough, sounds like he's got great vertical ability, good quickness, with a year behind him he may be ready to contribute.

Greeenlee is an old school point guard. He has no where near the skill set of Carr but he can play the position. He does require a different offense to run. He can do that efficiently. Think Flip Saunders as a Gopher...that’s Greenlee at his peak. Hard working, tenacious leader, knock down shots when left open. Rarely turns the ball over efficient. But he needs the right offense to his skills, not Carr’s offense.

Will admit that I expected him to transfer in search of more playing time.
Maybe waiting to see what happens with Carr? Reports have been that he is a hard worker and good teammate so he will be one I will be especially cheering for this seadon.

We can’t afford to keep throwing away scholarships at flyers on one year transfers. We need guys like greenlee to stay (redshirt?) and develop in the system so they can be dependable upper classmen.
Maybe a fine thought in general, but here specifically he's already about to be passed up by Mash, at a year younger. So seems like a waste, then?

Greenlee is like a Kevin Payton. Nice kid, plays okay defense, knows the game. Unfortunately not athletic enough for D1 and he I can tell you right now will never contribute much to the team. If Carr returns I'd personally like him to transfer. We need whatever we can get that is competent.

Why is there such a huge assumption that he can't play, there hasn't been much evidence one way or the other and to assume that because Pitino didn't play him he must not be big ten caliber doesn't always ring true. Pitino didn't play Stockman much and he was more than capable of playing in the B1G. He's definately athletic enough, sounds like he's got great vertical ability, good quickness, with a year behind him he may be ready to contribute.
In Kendall and Dame's youtube they think Greenlee is a good player, just needed more time to gain confidence. The also this that Mashburn will get a lot of time with the ball in his hands.

Remember, the roster is constructed of versatile athletes that can play multiple positions. The idea is to change on the fly and create matchup problems.

Every program has guys who need to be 11-15 on the roster. 2 of those are typically walk ons. The other 2 need to be guys you take chances on, but are good citizens, students, and practice players. Those are not wasted schollys imo. Having too many guys just leads to unhappiness and discontent.

Could easily be a silly thought, as I don't know anything about how a major DI college basketball practice is run: but do you really need more than 10 solid guys, to do 5-on-5 drills?

Could easily be a silly thought, as I don't know anything about how a major DI college basketball practice is run: but do you really need more than 10 solid guys, to do 5-on-5 drills?

Yes. Not all drills are 5 on 5. Not all guys are able to participate in every practice. Some guys provide different looks due to their skill set.

We were Greenlees only committable high-major offer I am only assuming this but I would think he understood it was going to be an uphill battle to get playing time and was in it for a 4-year process

Maybe a fine thought in general, but here specifically he's already about to be passed up by Mash, at a year younger. So seems like a waste, then?
I don’t think so. We sorely missed a dependable backup point guard this year. I’d trade away my last scholarship every two years for that guy.

The evidence is that last season, Carr played 38-40 minutes in just about every Big 10 game.

Greenlee played 50 minutes all season. He had more turnovers than points. In this day and age, you just don't see kids go from not playing a lick to becoming impact rotation players very often.

The lack of evidence that he can't play is lack of evidence that he can.

Pitino handles these situations with pure class. He will not kick him to the curb. You tell kids like this to keep fighting, keep working, be a great teammate and you will always have a place in this program. Some transfer down, some stick it out, some become really good players.

look at the 2 low rated frosh guards at Iowa both light years ahead of Greenlee. Time to cut bait with small guard , poor shooter, not quick enough for his size. He can go D1 juco get some serious PT. and land at the correct level.

I can't believe everyone is ready to mail it on Greenlee (and some on) Freeman. Yes, they are projects, but they didn't get a chance to play last year - really at all. Have to see if another year in the program helps them develop, IMO

I can't believe everyone is ready to mail it on Greenlee (and some on) Freeman. Yes, they are projects, but they didn't get a chance to play last year - really at all. Have to see if another year in the program helps them develop, IMO

Players need clock. They dont get it, tough to develop.

Yes. Not all drills are 5 on 5. Not all guys are able to participate in every practice. Some guys provide different looks due to their skill set.

You want more than 10 guys because sometimes guys don't go full in practice due to nagging injuries and what not.

Didn’t get a chance, or weren’t good enough to get in the game? Ihnen and Williams did.

Just being the devil’s advocate, your point is valid.

You want more than 10 guys because sometimes guys don't go full in practice due to nagging injuries and what not.
So at four years and three scholly guys a year, that still leaves those bottom two that are hopefully freshman who are defacto redshirting. Maybe that’s Greenlee and Freeman, we’ll see.

Didn’t get a chance, or weren’t good enough to get in the game? Ihnen and Williams did.

Just being the devil’s advocate, your point is valid.

It's a great point. Some are not good enough right away and need more time. It's true that most that are dominant are typically solid performers as freshman, but not all players paths are the same. The staff is honest with these kids regarding playing time.

So at four years and three scholly guys a year, that still leaves those bottom two that are hopefully freshman who are defacto redshirting. Maybe that’s Greenlee and Freeman, we’ll see.

Yes I do think that you need a couple guys who are willing to be those players or are sit out transfers that are willing to play that role. Michael Hurt was valuable beyond anything his stat line showed. He was so positive as a teammate and a leader. That's not a wasted scholarship imo.

If Greenlee had the game Carr would not have been on the court.... dead tired

The last Gopher guard I can remember who was negligible and overmatched as a freshman but became a solid player later was Aaron Robinson. That was 20 years ago so more the exception than the rule. I embedded his career stats below. I don't see much of a role for Greenlee this year with Carr probably staying, but I could see him playing solid minutes his junior/senior year (whenever Carr leaves). He is a pure PG and would allow Mashburn to play off the ball. Although I could also see Pitino recruiting a grad transfer PG for whenever Carr leaves.

I also want to point out that just because we haven't seen what Greenlee is doesn't mean Pitino doesn't. He sees him every day in practice, and should have a good idea what he is capable of or what he could develop into. From all accounts he is a good teammate. I hope he and Freeman stick around and make a difference for us down the road.

Damian Johnson is another great example of a guy who didn't see minutes as a freshman but became integral to the team later on. Maybe Freeman can have an arc like his.

Aaron Robinson
SeasonGGSMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FT%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
2001-022505.40.21.0.2000.10.5.2310.10.5.167.5380.60.70.60.00.70.70.8
2002-0323111.30.71.8.3660.10.4.3000.51.3.387.5001.41.30.50.10.91.32.0
2003-0430414.00.92.7.3250.30.6.4210.62.0.295.7501.11.40.60.11.01.92.6
2004-05323032.62.76.5.4090.51.1.4712.25.4.397.7892.62.91.70.12.32.18.4
Career1103516.91.23.2.3700.30.7.3950.92.5.363.7101.51.70.90.11.31.63.7

Top Bottom