GopherSports: Who is on your Mount Rushmore of Gopher Running Backs?

Bronko
Smith
Thompson
Barber

I'm going with the classics since it's a Mount Rushmore. More Hardware up there is better.

Kent Kitzmann. 57 carries against Illinois for 266 Yards in a 21-0 victory in 1977.
I wouldn't put him on Mount Rushmore - but this one-time game was very impressive.
I remember listening to that game on the radio. He was getting the ball on every play and there was nothing Illinois could do about it.

Going back even further than I do, Pug Lund. 10th all-time in yards carrying for Gophers while playing in fewer games per season. 1934 Big Ten MVP, consensus all-American and member of College Football Hall of Fame. 1934 Gophers were undefeated national champions.

Kent Kitzmann. 57 carries against Illinois for 266 Yards in a 21-0 victory in 1977.
I wouldn't put him on Mount Rushmore - but this one-time game was very impressive.

Well if we are going off of one game, I nominate Tellis Redmon he definitely left it all on the field that game. To bad we couldn't stop Rivers, and Robinson.:mad:

Marion Barber III. Thompson was a speed back in spite of his size. Maroney's recruiting soured me on him.

Huh? According to coach Mason, he could have ordered anything he wanted from Manny's and he ordered a cheeseburger!

So most people here would rather have Marion Barber III over the original Barber RB - Marion Jr. it appears.

Still have a soft spot for Marion Barber Jr. Always wanted to wear 41 because of him. No slight on MBIII, but his father is one of my Gopher favorites!

Huh? According to coach Mason, he could have ordered anything he wanted from Manny's and he ordered a cheeseburger!

Why was the University of Illinois so angry about Maroney switching his "commitment" from Illinois to the U? I don't approve of those sorts of "deals".

Why was the University of Illinois so angry about Maroney switching his "commitment" from Illinois to the U? I don't approve of those sorts of "deals".
So what exactly are you implying about Glen Mason?

Still have a soft spot for Marion Barber Jr. Always wanted to wear 41 because of him. No slight on MBIII, but his father is one of my Gopher favorites!
I feel the same. My first favorite Gopher.
P.s. I was able to tell two of the Barber sons what a great player their dad was. That was pretty cool.

Nice! :D Other than hello, I really only spoke with Thomas. Marion II would often be at the same tailgate that we were at when our Gophers played at the MetroDome. Met Marion jr's wife, and brother as well. Nice family! I told Mr. Barber that he was my favorite Gopher growing up.

That is the only thing I miss about the MetroDome.

Bruce Smith - Can't argue with the program's only Heisman winner
Bronko Nagurski - I know he was an animal on defense but he's arguably the greatest college player of all time.
Darrell Thompson - Favorite player growing up. So fun to watch.
MBIII - Just a beast. Great mixture of speed, strength and elusiveness.
This is my list too.

The following story tells me why Bronko Nagurski's name must be included, front and center. Granted the story and Bronko's quote were while he played for the Bears, but it revealed his fearsome destructive power as a running back above all others.

One legendary story (via the New York Times) attached to Nagurski has him “on a touchdown gallop against the Redskins, he is said to have knocked two linebackers in opposite directions, stomped over a defensive halfback and crushed an interfering safety man before caroming off the goalposts and finally crashing head first into the stadium's brick walls.”
Upon returning to the huddle for the extra-point try, he reportedly said: "That last guy hit me awfully hard

Last edited:

I understand including Darrell Thompson, but I have to admit I have soured upon him. It did irritate me seeing him at this year's Minn-Indiana basketball game wearing a crimson and cream IU sweatshirt. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, his kid plays for IU. but sheesh!:confused:

Bronco Nagurski
Rick Upchurch
Darryl Thompson
Laurence Maroney
Paul Giel
Marion Barber III

Geil was a 3 time all Big 10 rb, 2 time All American, UPI Player of the Year in college football (not just the Big 10), and Heismann runner up. Don't know what more you have to do, probably would have been 4 time all Big 10 but I don't think you could play as a freshman back then. Hamner or Darkins is a tough call for me, I lean Hamner because he always got that tough extra yard but both were terrific to watch.
Paul Geil #1 no doubt

You must be thinking of another player. Maroney didn’t commit to any school until signing day. And I think most people thought his choice was between Missouri and Minnesota.

Top Bottom