GopherSports: Who is on your Mount Rushmore of Gopher Running Backs?

I actually had a tougher time with this then I thought I would.

I went with:
Darrell Thompson
Chris Darkins
Laurence Maroney
Marion Barber III

Tough to leave Bruce Smith off due to winning the Heisman but it was a very different game at that time. Bronko is in a similar boat. Both deserve their place in Gopher history but maybe not on the RB Mount Rushmore. Also struggled with what to do with Rodney Smith and Marion Barber Junior. Rodney just never felt as dominant as his stats might indicate he would have been and I am not old enough to have seen the older Barber play.

Honestly, if they were actually going to make this Mount Rushmore they should combine Barber and Maroney on the same bust because I really can't unlink those two. They were such a combined force during their time at the U.

Bruce Smith, Darryl Thompson, Laurence Maroney, Rodney Smith

Chris Darkins x 4. First player I knew on the Gophers.

Paul Giel
I second this. Giel was a great multi-sport athlete. As a Gopher, he rushed for a lot of yards (over 2,000) and, as a single-wing HB, passed for almost 2,000 years as well. Total yardage contributed was pretty amazing for the times. Played pro baseball. Very talented.

I second this. Giel was a great multi-sport athlete. As a Gopher, he rushed for a lot of yards (over 2,000) and, as a single-wing HB, passed for almost 2,000 years as well. Total yardage contributed was pretty amazing for the times. Played pro baseball. Very talented.

I would classify Giel similar to Bronko and Smith. Great players who deserve their rightful spot as all-time greats at the school but maybe not specifically in the RB category.

Smith is probably the craziest one of all. In 1941 over an 8 game season - 84 carries, 473 yards (60 yards a game) and 5 TDs was good enough to win the Heisman. And a guy who over 2 seasons ran for a little over 1000 yards and scored 9 TD was so dominant at the time that he was inducted into the college football hall of fame.

Well before my time but amazing to think that numbers like that at one time would have made you a dominant football player given how the game is played today.

Marion Barber ll was a beast, a serious problem for the other team. He is one of my favorite players of all time and he produced so far, 3 Gopher football players. Grandchildren are next up I am sure. He deserves consideration here.

Bruce Smith (Heisman winner)

Darryl Thompson

Marion Barber III

Laurence Maroney

Alternates: Paul Giel and Bronco Nagurski

Bruce Smith (Heisman winner)

Darryl Thompson

Marion Barber III

Laurence Maroney

Alternates: Paul Giel and Bronco Nagurski
You nailed it. I agree 100%. I'd just like to add that David Cobb is my 2nd favorite running back that I've seen, behind only Maroney. Dude was TOUGH to defend, though I'm afraid he's not a top 4 all-timer here.

It would be easier if we could have three Mount Rushmore's. 1. 1900's-1950's. 2. 1960's - 1990's. 3. 200's-2020. Or something like that.

Bruce Smith - Can't argue with the program's only Heisman winner
Bronko Nagurski - I know he was an animal on defense but he's arguably the greatest college player of all time.
Darrell Thompson - Favorite player growing up. So fun to watch.
MBIII - Just a beast. Great mixture of speed, strength and elusiveness.

It may have been a different era but leaving Bronko and Bruce Smith off a Mount Rushmore of Running Backs is like leaving George Washington and Abraham Lincoln off of Mount Rushmore because they governed in a prior era. Laurence Maroney is my favorite.

Bruce Smith - It was a different brand of football, but the Heisman counts.
Laurence Maroney - If he played 4 years he'd have the record for both yards rushing and touchdowns.
Darrell Thompson - He was a rushing and scoring machine.
Marion Barber III - Nearly unstoppable when the yards or a touchdown were needed.

Geil was a 3 time all Big 10 rb, 2 time All American, UPI Player of the Year in college football (not just the Big 10), and Heismann runner up. Don't know what more you have to do, probably would have been 4 time all Big 10 but I don't think you could play as a freshman back then. Hamner or Darkins is a tough call for me, I lean Hamner because he always got that tough extra yard but both were terrific to watch.

Kent Kitzmann. 57 carries against Illinois for 266 Yards in a 21-0 victory in 1977.
I wouldn't put him on Mount Rushmore - but this one-time game was very impressive.
Kitzmann was always one of my favorites...the guy carried the load in many games.

Of course it would. But let's try to avoid something like this...
If I have to...

Paul Giel: Read rickyupchurch's post above.
Bruce Smith: Two words - Heismann Trophy.
Darrell Thompson: Record holder for a reason.
Laurence Maroney: 3 years with that production.

So most people here would rather have Marion Barber III over the original Barber RB - Marion Jr. it appears.

Marion Barber the First....
Darryl Thompson....
And we've been spoiled lately...

Kent Kitzmann. 57 carries against Illinois for 266 Yards in a 21-0 victory in 1977.
I wouldn't put him on Mount Rushmore - but this one-time game was very impressive.

I was there for that one. Basic football, if you can not stop this play we are going to run it right down your throat. If we threw a pass in that game I don't remember it.

Marion Barber III. Thompson was a speed back in spite of his size. Maroney's recruiting soured me on him.

Barber, Maroney, Tapeh, Pinnix. All on roster in 2003. Only Pinnix is a stretch and he was a damn good back.

That 2003 team could have won a natty (with a average D)

Barber, Maroney, Tapeh, Pinnix. All on roster in 2003. Only Pinnix is a stretch and he was a damn good back.

That 2003 team could have won a natty (with a average D)
Another amazing thing? Terry Jackson had 1372 yards in 2002 and couldn't get on the field in 2003.

Top Bottom