Gophers Wrestling 2023-24 Season

Curious, why are they off for three weeks until the B1G tournament? I understand rest is crucial, but three weeks of just practices?

Curious, why are they off for three weeks until the B1G tournament? I understand rest is crucial, but three weeks of just practices?
guessing its an eggum decision. others teams have matches scheduled for this coming weekend

Reminds me of Gophers women's goaltender Skylar Vetter. In high school she was the starting goalie for the boys varsity team.

a little bit about some newcomers and national rankings:
Jack Nelson 138 #7
Landon Robideau 150 #6
Charlie Millard 157 #3
Koy Hopke 285 #5

may have missed a few

a little bit about some newcomers and national rankings:
Jack Nelson 138 #7
Landon Robideau 150 #6
Charlie Millard 157 #3
Koy Hopke 285 #5

may have missed a few

I see Leo Contino is up to #7 at 150. Jed Webster is HM at 175 as is Silas Dailey at 190. Surprised not to see Wyatt DeChateau anywhere - he was in the top ten during the season.

Gophers in the Big Ten Wrestling Tournament. The results are too complicated for me to summarize while action is still going on. Go to Twitter to see results or after today's action ends.

X (Twitter):

Patrick McKee goes to the finals.

#1 Salazar advances to semi-finals and a ticket to the NCAA tournament.

Andrew Sparks advances to the semi-finals and the NCAA tournament.

Joles punches his ticket to the NCAA tournament with a win in the consolation match.

Injury default for #2 Blockhus at 157 pounds. He lost earlier.

Blaine Brenner earns his spot at the NCAA tournament.

Last edited:

What the hell was Sparks doing? Had nothing all match, then loses 10 second into SV. Fucking weak.

Salazar won the Big Ten championship for his weight class.

Just like Tiger Woods and his red shirt, it never gets old Gophers wearing their gold singlet for championship matches.

Update: Now 10 Gophers are headed to the NCAA tournament!

Didn't follow this at all, but I am glad to see that Steveson did not return this season. That would've been really lame.

VV with the big upset in the first round and moves on
also wins by mckee, blockhus, salazar and joles

5 moving on, 5 to pigtails. VV and Joles with upsets

some former gophers:
125 troy spratley 6 seed wins
133 aaron nagao 10 seed gets creamed, loses
141 tagen jamison 10 seed loses
157 brayton lee 11 seed wins
HWT Keaton Kluever pinned

good thing Coyle gave Eggum that extension. Now Eggum can build upon his worsening record. Would have been better to try and hire Damion Hahn than continue with Eggum.

gopher wrestling is approaching the "why bother" category

good thing Coyle gave Eggum that extension. Now Eggum can build upon his worsening record. Would have been better to try and hire Damion Hahn than continue with Eggum.

gopher wrestling is approaching the "why bother" category
It truly is a shame compared to what it once was. We need someone who can go out and sell this program and recruit bringing it back to it's glory days.

Many Gopher programs cannot depend on recruiting just Minnesota athletes anymore. This happens to be one of them. Those who understand the sport know you need athletes on the roster that can PUSH each other to become better.

With Social Media, I am also finding out today's athletes are just not focused/driven like they use to be in the past. Some of you will agree and others won't but I stand by my opinion.

Terrible showing in the NCAA Tournament.

Coyle has destroyed this program. The Gophers are an afterthought these days.

The Gophers were always a threat to win the Big Ten and make some noise in the NCAA Tournament before Eggum. Now, there's no hope to contend in either tournament.

for next season, top 12 wrestler tommy askey appalachian state is a graduate transfer to minnesota at 157. fills a big hole at 157

adding: in the tourny oddly enough Askey recorded wins over #14 Cody Chittum (Iowa State; via major decision) and #11 Brayton Lee (Indiana). Chittum decommited from Minnesota and Lee transfered back to Indiana from Minnesota for his final season

Last edited:

clayton whiting transfers from missouri to minnesota. Was Missouri's 184 starter for most of last season. Clayton is a 4 time Wisconsin state champ

backup at 184 perhaps? max mcenelly looks to be the gopher's 184 starter next season

Top Bottom