Gophers Wrestling 2023-24 Season

I have no opinion.

I think he was trying to engineer a reboot into pro wrestling by winning a few more big NCAA matches. His pro debut was mixed.

He was/is a great one in the NCAA.

The No. 6 Nebraska wrestling team (5-1-0, 0-1-0 Big Ten) travels to No. 9 Minnesota on Friday, Jan. 19... When the Huskers face the Gophers, nine of the 10 bouts will potentially feature matchups between ranked wrestlers...

Since the beginning of last season, Minnesota has won eight of its last nine home duals at Maturi Pavilion.

So far so good. 2 out of 2 wins.

Live now on Big Ten Network.

amazing start winning 3 of the first 5 - upsets against more highly rated wrestlers.
during intermission just noting

no insight into why any of these guys transferred out
125 19th troy spratley OSU
133 4th aaron nagao PSU
141 7th tagen jamison OSU
157 13th Cody Chittum ISU (a decommit), 20th Brayton Lee Indiana
165 29th Cael Carlson Oklahoma
285 22nd Keaton Kluever Hofstra

Blockhus did enter the portal but retuned to MN, thankfully

Blockhus beating 2 and 3 in the last two matches could move him up to 2nd and a possible 20 point tourney guy. this could put the gophers about 15th on the next tourney rankings. Currently the gophers are not in the top 30

Last edited:

Nice win by Salazar.
20240119_225228.jpg

Joles almost had that. So close.

----

NIL is a major influencer at some.programs.

Gophers played well.

But lost. Bummer. Almost had it.

Leave it to Wresting to spoil the trifecta. Get ready for another middle of the pack season.

Last edited:

There are only 75 D1 wrestling programs and wrestling includes the likes of South Dakota State, NDSU and others as their is no 2nd tier D1. So we should not be ok with where we are at. Two to three wrestlers are maybe top 10 but guys ranked in the upper 20's is not going to cut it and is a huge issue as every year we have regressed.

Penn State is a well known NIL power. And just look at that program.

It is sad to see college sports regress to buying teams and winning equates with purchase budget.

Penn State is a well known NIL power. And just look at that program.

It is sad to see college sports regress to buying teams and winning equates with purchase budget.
PSU might have more NIL now than all

But, when they hired Cael as coach in 2009 they went from zero to number 1 quickly, prior to nil, and have stayed there. though to be fair, Penn and NJ are much better states for developing young wrestlers so a bit easier recruiting for PSU

don't know whats going on with eggum but it looks like he is recruiting just MN and WI. maybe had his recruiting budget reduced?

PSU might have more NIL now than all

But, when they hired Cael as coach in 2009 they went from zero to number 1 quickly, prior to nil, and have stayed there. though to be fair, Penn and NJ are much better states for developing young wrestlers so a bit easier recruiting for PSU

don't know whats going on with eggum but it looks like he is recruiting just MN and WI. maybe had his recruiting budget reduced?
Got to spend one’s time with recruits they actually may come to your school. No sense wasting time on those that will not come anyway.

yep. throw this one away. Blockhus not even ranked. (even though he just beat the 1 and 2 on the list). mckee at 18, salazar at 10 - makes me think this was taken a few weeks ago
the new intermat rankings come out on tuesday. much more accurate rankings

edit: per the rules, coaches could only rank a wrestler with at least 8 matches. Blockhus is currently 8-1, but if this poll was taken a couple of weeks ago, Blockhus would have had only 7 matches

Last edited:

yep. throw this one away. Blockhus not even ranked. (even though he just beat the 1 and 2 on the list). mckee at 18, salazar at 10 - makes me think this was taken a few weeks ago
the new intermat rankings come out on tuesday. much more accurate rankings

edit: per the rules, coaches could only rank a wrestler with at least 8 matches. Blockhus is currently 8-1, but if this poll was taken a couple of weeks ago, Blockhus would have had only 7 matches

I was wonder about that. Thanks for clarifying.

I first saw McKee... scrolling through... no Blockhus... didn't spend much time looking, I thought.

this weejk's intermat wrestling rankings are out. i think they have a few gophers ranked too low given performances against iowa and nebraska. For example, Blockhus should be 2 or 3, not 6

there are two types of team ratings: dual meet and tournament

last week the gophers were not in the top 30 in team tournament rankings. this week they are tied for 17th - a big jump.

Tyler Wells was a nice addition. I think you had mentioned that story before.

Tyler Wells was a nice addition. I think you had mentioned that story before.
tyler was a late pick up. he originally committed to st cloud state

currently ranked 26th at 133 on intermat, with 7 other freshman ranked higher

good pickup and hoping to see him develop

i don't know his frame so no idea if he can stay at 133. I'm a VV fan so (beyond this season) i don't think he'd beat out VV at 141

Michael Blockhus is having a great season. Blockhus nearly pinned his opponent out of the gate.

1706380639198.png

1706380070767.png

1706380286810.png

1706380381242.png

Last edited:

Wow! What an ending, from losing to the win! Freshman Max McEnelly against ranked #22.

1706382809650.png

3 POINTS AT THE BUZZER! Gophers win this one!
1706382923024.png

1706382966091.png

Gophers opened a can of whoop-ash on Rutgers.

#24 (and underrated) Garrett Joles upsets #9 in overtime. Last week Joles barely lost a similar big match. He can wrestle in that upper range.

1706383554257.png

Gophers ahead.

In the last match, #27 freshman Tyler Wells can secure the win for Gophers by avoiding a technical foul (run up massive points that stops the match). He's playing defensively well.

1706385103217.png

Update:

Wells takes the match to overtime.

1706385351993.png

1706830616289.png

Friday evening here in Minnesota.

1706842690838.png

1706842454419.png

The Gopher rankings will be higher than what you see here when they revise.

might need to rack up points at 125, 157 and 184 to win this one

Top Bottom