Gophers vs UW-Green Bay new start time, and moved to BTN for TV

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
MINNEAPOLIS - The University of Minnesota men's basketball Dec. 22 game against Green Bay originally scheduled for 7 p.m., has been moved up to a 4 p.m. tipoff, and will now air on Big Ten Network. The game was originally slated to be streamed on B1G+.

All tickets for the originally scheduled game time will be valid for the 4 p.m. start time. Doors will open at 3 p.m.

The Golden Gophers (9-1) will meet the Phoenix for the third time in school history next Wednesday and the second time in two years. Minnesota won, 99-69 last year on Nov. 25, also at Williams Arena.

Terrible start time for the middle of the week. Ironically, in my world it might be easier for me to see the game.

The Penn State_Quinnipiac game was going to be at 4pm and on BTN. Our game vs UW-Green Bay was going to be on BTN+ at 7pm (no TV).

Penn State is in COVID pause, so Wed game PPD. That left a hole for TV to fill. So, BTN moved us.

Good news is the Gophers will be on TV now. Bad news is there will be 700 people at Williams to watch on a Wednesday afternoon.

As with Holy Man, this actually works better for me, as after the game I have to drive to visit family for Xmas. This will get me in at a decent time. But, for most who want to go, this probably isn't great.

Interesting. I guess I didn't realize that conferences were already in holiday time scheduling. Looks like I'll probably be catching this game on TV rather than at The Barn.

Just for note.....Texas A&M CC takes on Notre Dame at noon on the 22nd.

Did BTN really "need" a game for this slot? What kind of rating is a 4 pm Wednesday game between Minnesota and UWGB really going to draw?

It's going to draw me in. Lol. I don't have BTN+ and have no way of going to the game, given I live like 1,000 miles from the Barn. It does suck for season ticket holders and people who had tickets to the game. My guess is 100K might watch. Probably better than some other programming though.

It's going to draw me in. Lol. I don't have BTN+ and have no way of going to the game, given I live like 1,000 miles from the Barn. It does suck for season ticket holders and people who had tickets to the game. My guess is 100K might watch. Probably better than some other programming though.
I'd be surprised if it hits 6 figures.

I don't think anyone "has BTN+" as part of a regular cable subscription service. It's a temporary streaming subscription that you buy directly from the Big Ten Network web site. Anyone can buy it. Usually, people purchase it for a month or two at the beginning of the season just to see a small number of games (usually against lowly teams) that aren't televised. It's not worth anything after December because all the conference games are broadcast on one channel or another after that.

To pile on… MN had two games flexed from BTN+ to normal BTN. So there are suckers out there like myself who paid for a second month of BTN+ for no reason now.

To pile on… MN had two games flexed from BTN+ to normal BTN. So there are suckers out there like myself who paid for a second month of BTN+ for no reason now.
As of now, the Alcorn State game is still BTN +. Unless they're going to move it to 9 AM for a BTN Breakfast special with Andy Kats from his couch in is PJ's.

As of now, the Alcorn State game is still BTN +. Unless they're going to move it to 9 AM for a BTN Breakfast special with Andy Kats from his couch in is PJ's.
Oh good, all is not lost!

I believe you can still watch it on BTN+...😉

I don't think anyone "has BTN+" as part of a regular cable subscription service. It's a temporary streaming subscription that you buy directly from the Big Ten Network web site. Anyone can buy it. Usually, people purchase it for a month or two at the beginning of the season just to see a small number of games (usually against lowly teams) that aren't televised. It's not worth anything after December because all the conference games are broadcast on one channel or another after that.

Yeah, when I said I don't have BTN+ it's because I'm not paying extra for it. I already have a ton of other subs.

Yep. I'm one.

Oh well, I got to watch 3 games so not complaining.

In general, I reconcile with myself that I will miss three or four of the lowest-echelon NC games each year because I will not subsribe to BIG Plus or whatever it is called. So when they Flex games over to regular B10 network, I *love* it. Bonus games! Beat Green Bay.

Bought tickets for after work to bring my son, not sure this will happen now. Terrible time.
Will they give you a refund? I almost bought tickets but 4pm wouldn't work for me.

Will they give you a refund? I almost bought tickets but 4pm wouldn't work for me.
I’m going to try to cut out early from work. Hopefully that will work, maybe we will just be a little late.

I emailed fan relations asking for a concession voucher for my troubles but they've yet to reply.

If we're being forced to leave work early, on such short notice, then I think a couple free beers should be in order.

I emailed fan relations asking for a concession voucher for my troubles but they've yet to reply.

If we're being forced to leave work early, on such short notice, then I think a couple free beers should be in order.
I don't have tickets, but was just thinking what would have happened if I had actually purchased those (ended up buying the Alcorn St. game instead). I wouldn't be able to go to a 4pm game...cuz...work. Also tough for some people if they are bringing kids that don't get home from school til later.

I don't have tickets, but was just thinking what would have happened if I had actually purchased those (ended up buying the Alcorn St. game instead). I wouldn't be able to go to a 4pm game...cuz...work. Also tough for some people if they are bringing kids that don't get home from school til later.
Officially, I think you buy tickets knowing that there is a potential for the game time/date to be changed. As a practical matter, I think that they would work with you to find a comparable game to exchange the tickets for you or, as a last resort, offer you a refund.

Top Bottom