Gophers ticket allotment sold out

Curious to know the breakdown of how many are people that live in AZ vs traveling from MN.
If it's a large % of people that are now in AZ I can see why PJ/Coyle thought this bowl was a good one as it brings the team to the fans.

A 4,000 ticket allotment isn't a very heavy lift, but glad to see that they were able to sell them. Hopefully we'll see many more fans than that in maroon and gold.
Do you happen to know what it was for the Outback a couple years ago?

A 4,000 ticket allotment isn't a very heavy lift, but glad to see that they were able to sell them. Hopefully we'll see many more fans than that in maroon and gold.

It isn't. But at the same time.....we still don't sell out the 50k capacity of the Bank on a weekly basis. So to get these 4k sold all the way in Arizona is nice.....even if the number isn't all that impressive.

I'd like to know what the breakdown of ticket sales are. People flying in from Minnesota compared to people in the area.

It's still a good sign IMO as there are usually many people that will look to buy cheaper tickets through stubhub, etc.

UWV boards do not expect them to sell out their allotment.

Travel from there even more brutal than Twin Cities & upper-midwest.

Press release:
Minnesota Sells Out Ticket Allotment for Guaranteed Rate Bowl

There will be a lot of Maroon and Gold in the Valley of the Sun, as Gopher Athletics announced today that it has sold out its ticket allotment for the Guaranteed Rate Bowl.

Minnesota faces West Virginia in the Phoenix-based bowl on Tuesday, Dec. 28 and Gopher fans will be there to cheer on their team.

"We are excited to compete in front of thousands of Minnesota fans at the Guaranteed Rate Bowl," said Director of Athletics Mark Coyle. "Our fans are tremendous, and I know they are excited to head to Phoenix to cheer on the Gophers."

Minnesota was allotted 4,000 tickets for the Guaranteed Rate Bowl and sold them all. A strong Gopher contingent is expected next week, as additional fans have purchased tickets outside of University-operated channels.

This is another sign of strong fan support for the Gophers on the road. Minnesota, which has more than 507,000 living alumni worldwide, saw more than 6,000 fans travel to its road game at Colorado this season and sold its allocated 10,000 tickets to the 2020 Outback Bowl.

Minnesota has never faced West Virginia. The teams face one another at 9:15 p.m. on Dec. 28 in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl on ESPN.

yeah and game time starts at 10pm…probably rules out many family trips with younger kids.

Oh yeah, those direct flights from MSP to Phoenix are brutal!

Not to spam the board but I had to cancel my trip and am selling my 4 tickets. Check the ticket exchange board for info and PM me if interested!

Curious to know the breakdown of how many are people that live in AZ vs traveling from MN.
If it's a large % of people that are now in AZ I can see why PJ/Coyle thought this bowl was a good one as it brings the team to the fans.
I went to the "Meet Joan Gable" event here in March 2020. The event was attended by a couple of hundred people. Got to talk to the Lindahls and Steve Swiggum. The U's presence here is very strong, along with the Mayo clinic, Ames Construction, and the Virginia Piper Foundation. I see lots of Gopher gear that easily gets mistaken for ASU gear. I even ran into Ben Gordon's dad at the grocery store. Rumor has it ASU's hockey program is joining the B1G next season...

I'm glad I've gotten to see the Gophers in Las Cruces, Colorado, and San Diego since I've been here, and now its practically in my backyard. I understand the travel issues of others, but I'm happy that I get to do all the first class stuff on this one. It should be a great time.

For sure.
No doubt in my mind we wanted Outback and when it became apparent we weren’t getting it we asked for Phoenix over Nashville and Vegas

Not to be cynical, but it was 4,000 tickets.

We've already proven we travel with the Outback and Citrus Bowl turn outs.
Right. But selling out every bowl game allotment is helpful for placement—in theory.

With many of the AZ people probably buying tickets down there, but we have 10 to 15k attending.

The question was about the ticket allotment, which was 10,000 tickets (sold through the U). Agree that there were far more Minnesota fans there than that, but they bought their tickets elsewhere.
Expect same thing Tuesday. Most locals will buy from non-UM sources.

There are quite a lot of Minnesota snowbirds down there who winter in Arizona. A former colleague and his mom both own prefab trailer homes down there. It is a similar situation with the Outback Bowl in that they were able to draw a lot of Gopher fans from the area.

Top Bottom