Gophers receive a commitment from Turkish guard David Mutaf

Will be crazy to see minutes distribution for this roster once we know who is eligible.
Agreed. Very tough to make predictions without knowing the final roster and eligibility. The team as is can go 10 deep imo.

Agreed. Very tough to make predictions without knowing the final roster and eligibility. The team as is can go 10 deep imo.
Sounds like your very optimistic about success. I will take a piece of that pie.

I don't understand why you think he can't defend. He moves well considering his listed size of 6'6 200 lbs. On top of that Mutaf was hitting at a clip of 40% from 3 against good competition... no way he gets less than 10 minutes a game at the 2/3.
Agree about the defense no way to know from the videos. I see a kid with some swagger who appears to be able to shoot.

If Robbins gets his waiver and Carr comes back it'll be good looks. Gach would be the icing on the cake but even without him I think Tre Williams gives us great minutes. It will be an exciting team to watch
Alot of unknowns on the team next year. Could finish top 6 or could finish near bottom. I sat down and had about 20 unanswered questions like will robbins get a waiver? Will tre Williams or ihnen make big jumps? How good will mashburn and mutaf be as freshmen? Will gabe find his shooting touch? How good will johnson and robbins be in big 10? Will we get gach?

Exciting indeed. Cant wait to get these questions answered when they play ball.

Alot of unknowns on the team next year. Could finish top 6 or could finish near bottom. I sat down and had about 20 unanswered questions like will robbins get a waiver? Will tre Williams or ihnen make big jumps? How good will mashburn and mutaf be as freshmen? Will gabe find his shooting touch? How good will johnson and robbins be in big 10? Will we get gach?

I'm not optimistic due to all the unknowns.

I'm not optimistic due to all the unknowns.

That and the fact thet have not shown any consistency under Pitino. A few years they over achieve and some like last year they miss expectations by a long shot.

Tre is flying a little under the radar. He's got a fearless style of play that I like. It will be interesting to see if he can make a little bigger jump than a lot of fans expect out of him

Tre is flying a little under the radar. He's got a fearless style of play that I like. It will be interesting to see if he can make a little bigger jump than a lot of fans expect out of him
If he can improve his shooting, that would be huge. He's tough on D, rebounds pretty well and seems like a smart player. But his shot has to improve though.

If he can improve his shooting, that would be huge. He's tough on D, rebounds pretty well and seems like a smart player. But his shot has to improve though.
Maybe a little more controlled driving to the hoop too. I really think he could thrive in that slashing role.

That and the fact thet have not shown any consistency under Pitino. A few years they over achieve and some like last year they miss expectations by a long shot.

Yes, that has been one of my biggest complaints about him: he has yet to have two good years in a row. However, since his third season, he's had a good year every other year. If that continues, 2021 should be good (relatively speaking).

Yes, that has been one of my biggest complaints about him: he has yet to have two good years in a row. However, since his third season, he's had a good year every other year. If that continues, 2021 should be good (relatively speaking).

Partially a function of bad luck. The 2017/18 team was legitimately a Top 15 team before unexpected player losses. Last years team legitimately a Top 20 team if Coffey (and Curry) played. It also reflects the thin recruiting/talent margin Pitino has had during his time at Minnesota.

Partially a function of bad luck. The 2017/18 team was legitimately a Top 15 team before unexpected player losses. Last years team legitimately a Top 20 team if Coffey (and Curry) played. It also reflects the thin recruiting/talent margin Pitino has had during his time at Minnesota.

Nailed it

Wrong thread. In the Pitino thread you will find convincing facts of mediocrity and data to show what all great coaches showed by year 6 without a pitiful conference record.

Honest question did we really miss expectations by a long shot?

If not , then perhaps some simply have low expectations. Everyone seems to have a different level for terrible, mediocre, average, good, really good, great.

Probably not. Most sites had us picked between 10-12 in the big ten. I think after that ohio st win, most people's expectations were pretty high after that. So it seems like they greatly underachieved.

Probably not. Most sites had us picked between 10-12 in the big ten. I think after that ohio st win, most people's expectations were pretty high after that. So it seems like they greatly underachieved.
I always think what were the teams and coaches expectations. Just like it is in every aspect of competition of my life. Did not care what others expectation were for me. I cared about my own. Any competitor that finishes 12th will know that it was a massive fail.

I always think what were the teams and coaches expectations. Just like it is in every aspect of competition of my life. Did not care what others expectation were for me. I cared about my own. Any competitor that finishes 12th will know that it was a massive fail.
Oh I agree. I was just stating what analysts predictions were for us. Ranking 12th in conference is not something to shoot for, that's how you get fired.

I am done before I get in trouble again for being off topic of the thread.

Yes, they lost five games down the stretch they could have won, losing all 5 is missing completely. From a talent level they at least were the equal of Wisconsin last year, not nearly from a results perspective though.

Lol. He's yet to have ONE good year in a row.

Mutaf looks good....my apologies to all the moronic trolls who are too stupid to stay remotely on topic

I wanted Pitino fired as well. I actually think he would have been fired if not for COVID. That said, it has to be tiring to find ways to shoehorn your disdain for Pitino and your supposed credentials into every thread.

I really like some of your posts, but sometimes you can be the basketball board version of 40 times.

I wanted Pitino fired as well. I actually think he would have been fired if not for COVID. That said, it has to be tiring to find ways to shoehorn your disdain for Pitino and your supposed credentials into every thread.

I really like some of your posts, but sometimes you can be the basketball board version of 40 times.
What credentials.

Yes, they lost five games down the stretch they could have won, losing all 5 is missing completely. From a talent level they at least were the equal of Wisconsin last year, not nearly from a results perspective though.
agree w previous poster that OSU sweep and early Mich win raised expectations for all of us. with that said, would say it is fair for expectations to be fluid during a season due to observing injuries, chemistry, younger players bringing more than expected, etc.

agree w this post that it does become a point of how you play under pressure when the games start to mean more due to that new expectation

losing 6 out of 7 with something on the line in disastrous fashion (different types of distasters...aside from not being able to inbound the ball even after timeouts) in nearly all of them becomes glen mason-esque

Top Bottom