Gophers receive a commitment from Turkish guard David Mutaf

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from Turkish guard David Mutaf, according to Evan Daniels of 24/7 Sports. While playing four games with the Fenerbahce Ulker Junior Team, he averaged 22 points per game. Mutaf also showed off his deep range by converting 44 percent of his three-point attempts. He brings 6-foot-5 size and potential positional versatility to a Gophers team searching for depth.

Mutaf joins guard Jamal Mashburn Jr. and forward Martice Mitchell in Minnesota’s 2020 recruiting class. If guard Marcus Carr returns, the Gophers now have one scholarship remaining for this cycle.

Here's a look at Mutaf's highlights:

Last edited:

Really good news. Look forward to finding out what he brings. I can not stand tapes but when that is all we can get as fans then that is all we have. My hope is he becomes a Kirk Penney or a Svi Mykhailiuk. In both cases, wildly under the radar but with time wildly successful.

Last edited:

someone educate me. what is the Euro Leugue 3 point line distance vs NCAA?

FIBA basketball has a 4% greater circumference than NCAA Men....once he gets used to it his accuracy should improve accordingly
At its furthest point it is the same though right? I thought that was the change they made prior to this last season

FIBA basketball has a 4% greater circumference than NCAA Men....once he gets used to it his accuracy should improve accordingly
You think his % will increase going against elite defenders ? Interesting.

You think his % will increase going against elite defenders ? Interesting.
I dont think he is saying that. To me it sounds like he is saying it will drop because a little different then improve from that. Once he gets use to it he will improve from his number. Not saying what his 3% is now in europe and getting better.

At its furthest point it is the same though right? I thought that was the change they made prior to this last season
Smaller ball more room for error....basic physics... all other things being equal....unable to quantify how that translates vs from a shooting % perspective with an unspecified quantity increased defensive pressure and or other pressures associated with power 5 basketball.

Smaller ball more room for error....basic physics... all other things being equal....unable to quantify how that translates vs from a shooting % perspective with an unspecified quantity increased defensive pressure and or other pressures associated with power 5 basketball.
Will research the data that shows 3 point shooting % and how they have translated to power 6 conferences. Very few if any will have improved. That said, this is a very interesting prospect. There is a physicality and energy and shooting is hard to come by. Just thrilled to find out and that we did not bill him as a highly ranked prospect.

Will research the data that shows 3 point shooting % and how they have translated to power 6 conferences. Very few if any will have improved. That said, this is a very interesting prospect. There is a physicality and energy and shooting is hard to come by. Just thrilled to find out and that we did not bill him as a highly ranked prospect.
As the level of defensive pressure increases a player would need to increase is shooting skill level proportionality to maintain his 3pt% ... if everything else was equal... perhaps a player will get open shots via his teams offensive sets and skills , perhaps a player will get fewer open looks and take fewer shots... The projected decrease in 3pt% as a player steps up to a higher level basketball would in theory be slightly mitigated if said player would be switching to a slightly smaller ball. Still a guessing game to project out...I have seen excellent shooters in a game of horse...turn out to be poor shooters in a pick up game where somebody is kinda guarding them

As the level of defensive pressure increases a player would need to increase is shooting skill level proportionality to maintain his 3pt% ... if everything else was equal... perhaps a player will get open shots via his teams offensive sets and skills , perhaps a player will get fewer open looks and take fewer shots... The projected decrease in 3pt% as a player steps up to a higher level basketball would in theory be slightly mitigated if said player would be switching to a slightly smaller ball. Still a guessing game to project out...I have seen excellent shooters in a game of horse...turn out to be poor shooters in a pick up game where somebody is kinda guarding them
Tell me about it. I knew a very highly rated player that shot lights out against very high level high school competition. I wagered this player would score 1500 at a power 6 power team. He could not hit the broad side of a barn under the bright lights and guarded by a guy with a 7 foot wingspan that was quick enough to guard 3 positions.

We have more skilled perimeter guys with this group, especially if we add Gach. Move the ball, penetrate and kick...any defense will break down for open looks from three....IF you got multiple threats from 3.
And who knows, we might even add some screens to open looks.
Many of his shots were off the bounce on the clip. It included a step back three versus pressure.
It included a penetrate pivot and score from 8 feet. He's gonna get open shots.

You gotta guard Ihnen and Gabe and Gach (hopefully) and Mashburn and Carr (hopefully) and Mutaf. You cover them all...maybe Virginia can in the finals.

He's talking about the circumference of the ball, not the 3 pt line distance.

Reading is fundamental.

Reading is fundamental.
The original comment i replied to was in regard to the line distance and was asking for confirmation as i was not sure if i was correct. Im glad you the defender of truth has stepped in to set me straight.

Reading is fundamental.
Got it now but did miss it the first time. In any event others also shot it and then moved into elite conferences and saw their % decrease.

30.7 inches

International Basketball Federation (FIBA)
wrong, NBA, NCAA and FIBA all use 29.5" balls.

The circumference is 30.7 inches, and the weight is between 567 and 650 gm. Yes I was wrong 30.7 is the same as 29.5

30.7 inches

International Basketball Federation (FIBA)

The circumference is 30.7 inches, and the weight is between 567 and 650 gm. Yes I was wrong 30.7 is the same as 29.5
They use a size 7 ball just like NBA and NCAA. It can range from 30.7 and 29.5, they want them to be 29.5.
42460D75-6FCD-4CB0-BBD9-C211F9E13351.png

How do you think he will do here as a Frosh ? It is a wild guess but just your opinion.
He will be solid as a freshman and will give us a good 10-15 minutes a game. Just a guess but I think his shooting alone gets him on the court.

He will be solid as a freshman and will give us a good 10-15 minutes a game. Just a guess but I think his shooting alone gets him on the court.
His inability to defend gets him less minutes. He'll be like Ihnen and take awhile to get acclimated.

His inability to defend gets him less minutes. He'll be like Ihnen and take awhile to get acclimated.
I don't understand why you think he can't defend. He moves well considering his listed size of 6'6 200 lbs. On top of that Mutaf was hitting at a clip of 40% from 3 against good competition... no way he gets less than 10 minutes a game at the 2/3.

Will be crazy to see minutes distribution for this roster once we know who is eligible.

Top Bottom