Gophers QB Max Brosmer vs WI QB Tyler Van Dyke

I said AK, not team

Point being. For an individual opportunities to throw are there if you don’t get injured or benched
Point being the team stat is a better number to look at overall to gage if they are run or pass focused.

Point being the team stat is a better number to look at overall to gage if they are run or pass focused.
Yeah, but that wasn’t what we were discussing.
I was responding to a comment that had implied the current scheme wouldn’t let Bosmer throw the ball and the scheme had to change to let him throw.

Of course the gophers are more run focused. We are in agreement. And I don’t think will change ever with the current HC.

I don’t think Michigan will beat Bama but kind of hope to be surprised

Georgia put up some really good offensive numbers this season but Alabama contained them in the SEC title game. What chance does Michigan have to move the ball effectively. I wonder. I fear for Michigan but fortunately this year my hater mode is at an all time high after the cheating scandal. I hope they get destroyed, and I think they will. Particularly without the pre-cog help.

Georgia put up some really good offensive numbers this season but Alabama contained them in the SEC title game. What chance does Michigan have to move the ball effectively. I wonder. I fear for Michigan but fortunately this year my hater mode is at an all time high after the cheating scandal. I hope they get destroyed, and I think they will. Particularly without the pre-cog help.
The real question for me is how good is Bama on defense?
I think Michigan’s defense is legitimately good enough this year up front to not get blown out like they did two seasons ago vs Georgia.

Bama gave up 24 to Georgia, no shame in that. But Georgia really didn’t have many tough games this year so tough to know how good on offense they were post TE injury.

Gave up 24 to auburn. They’ll probably take Michigan more seriously than they took auburn.

28 to LSU - LSU way better on offense than Michigan IMO

What tells me Michigan might have a chance is auburn, LSU, running for 200+
What tells me they will get beat is Michigan doesn’t have the offense LsU has and doesn’t have the luxury of getting overlooked like auburn had + Georgia could not run that well.

I did know that.
The question was about fitting scheme to Bosmer, and the point was that it isn’t like we don’t throw the ball. If he stays healthy he will have plenty of chances to throw. We had a shitty QB and couldn’t stay on the field last year who ended up 5th in the conference in pass attempts.

44 attempts against Nebraska
42 attempts against Purdue
19+ pass attempts in 9/12 games
Team record of 2-1 in the 3 games they didn’t.

We aren’t Air Force, though that would be an offensive upgrade
Gophs ranked 122 of 130 in passing attempts.

I don’t think Michigan will beat Bama but kind of hope to be surprised

Does Michigan have the quarterback to attack more than they prefer to? It may come down to the two quarterbacks - if you can hammer the opponent in the air too. Both can run the ball.

The real question for me is how good is Bama on defense?
I think Michigan’s defense is legitimately good enough this year up front to not get blown out like they did two seasons ago vs Georgia.

Bama gave up 24 to Georgia, no shame in that. But Georgia really didn’t have many tough games this year so tough to know how good on offense they were post TE injury.

Gave up 24 to auburn. They’ll probably take Michigan more seriously than they took auburn.

28 to LSU - LSU way better on offense than Michigan IMO

What tells me Michigan might have a chance is auburn, LSU, running for 200+
What tells me they will get beat is Michigan doesn’t have the offense LsU has and doesn’t have the luxury of getting overlooked like auburn had + Georgia could not run that well.

They have Saban. If they can shut down Michigan’s run, force JJ to put it in the air well…might get interesting. Fans seem to think Michigan has a good chance, if you look at the betting lines. The wisdom of crowds may not apply here.

Gophs ranked 122 of 130 in passing attempts.
Like he said plenty of pass attempts! I mean he compared us to Michigan and being undefeated and all requires you to pass a lot more than say being down by multiple touchdowns to a North Carolina or Purdue. You pass way more when you are ahead!

Does Michigan have the quarterback to attack more than they prefer to? It may come down to the two quarterbacks - if you can hammer the opponent in the air too. Both can run the ball.
I don’t think they do.
And if teams don’t let Michigan run I don’t think McCarthy can get it done. This was shown a little bit in how Michigan called a game against Penn state ImO

I thought the narrative was that OC Harbaugh was limited in offensive scheme due to Athan's lack of progress/execution. This new QB seems a lot more experienced and capable of doing things like reading defense pre snap, making adjustments at the line, throwing receivers open and hitting hot routes.

Could be wishful thinking on my part.

Are you this stupid, or this obstinate?
Are you literate and choosing to ignore what I’ve said? Or illiterate?

You are also kicking my ass debating a claim I never made

Wait why do we have to throw the ball more with this new QB? Strange that a common thought for fixing the pass game is to just pass it more.

Lol
You’re kicking my ass debating a claim I never made
LOL.

Here's the question you originally replied to:

1. Will Fleck or Harbaugh change the run-heavy O scheme? (Post 19)

Your response: "AK had the 5th most attempts."

Are you now claiming you weren't making a statement about scheme?

Last edited:

Too funny. This is a continuation of your response in post #19.
Post #19 stated a fact in response to a guy who said they have to change to take advantage of Bosmer’s gun slinging ability

Bosmer will have plenty of chances to throw the ball.
We have just circled back to the beginning of the conversation

Post #19 stated a fact in response to a guy who said they have to change to take advantage of Bosmer’s gun slinging ability

Bosmer will have plenty of chances to throw the ball.
We have just circled back to the beginning of the conversation
122 of 130 in pass attempts last year.
Plenty of chances.

Pro tip: when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

LOL.

Here's the question you originally replied to:

1. Will Fleck or Harbaugh change the run-heavy O scheme? (Post 19)

Your response: "AK had the 5th most attempts."

Are you now claiming you weren't making a statement about scheme?
Nice job posting this and still not getting it.

No, fleck and Harbaugh don’t have to change the scheme for Bosmer to have a lot of pass attempts

Wait why do we have to throw the ball more with this new QB? Strange that a common thought for fixing the pass game is to just pass it more.
If AK would’ve had 24 attempts in the bowl game he would’ve ended with the same number of pass attempts as 2019 Tanner Morgan

Moving on gentleman....

I'm a little concerned about the following:

1. Will Fleck or Harbaugh change the run-heavy O scheme to accommodate Brosner's gun-slinging style.

2. Other than Daniel Jackson, do we have proven reliable receivers/tight ends that can make a QB like Brosner look good?
When Brosmer proves reliable, my guess is Fleck will open things up a bit. But I suspect the offense will remain run focused ... that's his DNA.

Top Bottom