Gophers QB Max Brosmer vs WI QB Tyler Van Dyke

SHGopher

Reaction score
Both the Gophers and Badgers made a splash with the transfer portal. They both signed good veteran quarterbacks. What do you think?

They seem to be ranked in the same range, Van Dyke just a little higher.

Rivals:

1703359233525.png

I think grabbing Brosmer is great for the Gophers, a big get. A strong move.

Minnesota seems to be at a disadvantage in NIL. Speaking of which, I think Nebraska teams overall may actually be having an uptick. Don't be surprised if their teams rise just a half-notch ahead.

TVD had solid stats at a P5 which I think any of us would prefer. That said Brosmer dominated at a lower level. Hard to predict how well that will translate until they play the games. A cautionary note for Wisconsin - TVD won’t have anywhere near as good of a surrounding cast at Wisconsin. Some QBs look better than they really are with skilled WRs. MN unlike Wisconsin might have trouble attracting that talent under the current regime but…Fleck can sell.

I’ve watched a decent bit of Van Dyke at Miami, he’s very inconsistent but has almost a canon of arm. Move’s good for his size. He had superior talent around him which he won’t have at Wisconsin.

Van Dyke couldn't get Miami past a .500 average in the ACC during his time there, and that's with gobs of NIL cash flowing through the program and an average recruiting rank of 13 during that time.

I'll take our guy.
The upgrade in talent and experience at the actual QB position here will have a greater effect on our play than at WI even if their new QB is rated higher.

I’ve watched a decent bit of Van Dyke at Miami, he’s very inconsistent but has almost a canon of arm. Move’s good for his size. He had superior talent around him which he won’t have at Wisconsin.

Is his "cannon" of the same caliber as Athan Kaliakmanis' "cannon"?

We all love the QBs with the 'big arms', right?

I think Van Dyke is just an insurance policy for Wisconsin. I believe their current QB2 will be QB1 next season.

TVD had solid stats at a P5 which I think any of us would prefer. That said Brosmer dominated at a lower level. Hard to predict how well that will translate until they play the games. A cautionary note for Wisconsin - TVD won’t have anywhere near as good of a surrounding cast at Wisconsin. Some QBs look better than they really are with skilled WRs. MN unlike Wisconsin might have trouble attracting that talent under the current regime but…Fleck can sell.
Agree. Big question is how the increased level of talent and play affects Brosmer. Fleck also will absolutely need to open up the passing game to fully utilize his talent.

Van Dyke has looked like a first round QB at times but he has also looked bad at times with a lot of talent.

Higher upside, id have to assume it’ s Van Dyke. Higher chance of being a bust, I’d guess Van Dyke.

Then again, I’ve never seen our guy play football.

I'm a little concerned about the following:

1. Will Fleck or Harbaugh change the run-heavy O scheme to accommodate Brosner's gun-slinging style.

2. Other than Daniel Jackson, do we have proven reliable receivers/tight ends that can make a QB like Brosner look good?

I'm a little concerned about the following:

1. Will Fleck or Harbaugh change the run-heavy O scheme to accommodate Brosner's gun-slinging style.

2. Other than Daniel Jackson, do we have proven reliable receivers/tight ends that can make a QB like Brosner look good?
AK had the 5th most passing attempts in the big ten

AK had the 5th most passing attempts in the big ten

I‘m seeing 11th in total pass attempts and passes per game (24.7). Interestingly maybe only to me but attempts per game in 2019 were 24.8 with dramatically different outcomes.

2017 19.4
2018 26.5
2020 26.3
2021 19.8
2022 21.6

Looks like bottom 3 every year except 2023. But, seems to work when the players execute, the defense is something other than abysmal, and the opponents aren’t elite. Unlike this team/year.

I think we were under 60% run this year. Just seemed run heavy because so few passes were completed.

More passes because of circumstances in some cases: no running game against Nebraska, falling far behind North Carolina and Purdue. We probably would have thrown more in the Michigan and Ohio State games if Athan had been more effective and we could have protected the QB better. I think Fleck was in "limit the damage" mode in those games.

I‘m seeing 11th in total pass attempts and passes per game (24.7). Interestingly maybe only to me but attempts per game in 2019 were 24.8 with dramatically different outcomes.

2017 19.4
2018 26.5
2020 26.3
2021 19.8
2022 21.6

Looks like bottom 3 every year except 2023. But, seems to work when the players execute, the defense is something other than abysmal, and the opponents aren’t elite. Unlike this team/year.

I said AK, not team

Point being. For an individual opportunities to throw are there if you don’t get injured or benched

I said AK, not team

Point being. For an individual opportunities to throw are there if you don’t get injured or benched

He only had the fifth-most because of injury or benching. Some would say AK should have been benched. I think the poster you were responding to was commenting on the general approach of Fleck over the years which was probably a fair comment. Also fair to support that general approach, or criticize it.

He only had the fifth-most because of injury or benching. Some would say AK should have been benched. I think the poster you were responding to was commenting on the general approach which was probably a fair comment. Also fair to support that general approach, or criticize it.
It is, but also fair to point out that the gopher QB had more attempts than the Michigan starter this year.

It is, but also fair to point out that the gopher QB had more attempts than the Michigan starter this year.

Yep, Michigan has a similar overall strategy but with much better players. Their pass game is probably also their biggest weakness. Unrelated, but will be interesting to see if they can make splash plays next week. They don’t have a great downfield pass game, or they haven’t uncorked it yet..

I said AK, not team

LOL.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

AK 5th in attempts does not mean the Gophers were 5th in attempts. It means he played all game, every game.

But you knew that.

Van Dyke couldn't get Miami past a .500 average in the ACC during his time there, and that's with gobs of NIL cash flowing through the program and an average recruiting rank of 13 during that time.

I'll take our guy.
Brosmer's team finished 6-5 at the FCS level. Not sure where you are going with that.

Yep, Michigan has a similar overall strategy but with much better players. Their pass game is probably also their biggest weakness. Unrelated, but will be interesting to see if they can make splash plays next week. They don’t have a great downfield pass game, or they haven’t uncorked it yet..
I don’t think Michigan will beat Bama but kind of hope to be surprised

LOL.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

AK 5th in attempts does not mean the Gophers were 5th in attempts. It means he played all game, every game.

But you knew that.
I did know that.
The question was about fitting scheme to Bosmer, and the point was that it isn’t like we don’t throw the ball. If he stays healthy he will have plenty of chances to throw. We had a shitty QB and couldn’t stay on the field last year who ended up 5th in the conference in pass attempts.

44 attempts against Nebraska
42 attempts against Purdue
19+ pass attempts in 9/12 games
Team record of 2-1 in the 3 games they didn’t.

We aren’t Air Force, though that would be an offensive upgrade

Last edited:

Top Bottom