Gophers planning on switching home field sides next season

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
One of the equipment managers was telling us at the Purdue game that Claeys wants to switch the Gophers to the sunny side of the stadium. Apparently (and I agree with him) has no idea why the previous head coaches wanted to be on the shady side, especially during October and November Big Ten games where it can be a 10-15 degree difference if the sun is out.

This makes too much sense. Perhaps they will get some push back from donors that wanted to be on the "Home" side

First thing the Vikings did during their "rental years" at TCF.

So then the visiting team enters the field running right by or even through the gopher bench?

That sounds not gud.

Whoa, visions of Mason, hands on hips, staring into the sun looking dazed and confused in Beaver stadium a few years back. Not a good move. Keep the sun at your back and the skunks down wind!

Whoa, visions of Mason, hands on hips, staring into the sun looking dazed and confused in Beaver stadium a few years back. Not a good move. Keep the sun at your back and the skunks down wind!

I was wondering about that, late in the season the sun over there gets weird.

Put some more heat in if they want to.

I'm actually surprised it has taken them this long to make the change. I wonder if they will figure out a way to flip where the opposing fans sit as well to get them on the other side of the field? I would bet some season ticket holders wouldn't be against seeing their section shifted from one side to the other to get into the sun.

I'm actually surprised it has taken them this long to make the change. I wonder if they will figure out a way to flip where the opposing fans sit as well to get them on the other side of the field? I would bet some season ticket holders wouldn't be against seeing their section shifted from one side to the other to get into the sun.

Considering there are season ticket holders on both sides ... I can't imagine they would endeavor to swap a lot of fans..... what a mess that would be.

If the gophers are on the other side, I'll stay on the "true home side" happily.

Mason had that look every time he was behind or in trouble in the 4th Quarter..

Can't they just rotate the stadium over a bit?

I agree on the sun in the eyes.

I remember a particular Northwestern game where Pat Fitzgerald and all his coaches were having to shield their eyes with their hands, clipboards, etc. for practically every play. I did wonder if there was any advantage to us...however I also thought that the "eyes in the skyboxes" were really driving the plays, etc....so probably a wash.

On changing sides for the season ticket holders already on that side...individuals who chose to be in the sun on purpose should not be forced to change anything.

This was a huge issue with Mrs. Billd...she wanted the sun and I didn't...but now agree it was the right call for us. Given that there are plenty of empty seats around us, come on over but leave us alone.

I agree on the sun in the eyes.

I remember a particular Northwestern game where Pat Fitzgerald and all his coaches were having to shield their eyes with their hands, clipboards, etc. for practically every play. I did wonder if there was any advantage to us...however I also thought that the "eyes in the skyboxes" were really driving the plays, etc....so probably a wash.

On changing sides for the season ticket holders already on that side...individuals who chose to be in the sun on purpose should not be forced to change anything.

This was a huge issue with Mrs. Billd...she wanted the sun and I didn't...but now agree it was the right call for us. Given that there are plenty of empty seats around us, come on over but leave us alone.

In terms of flipping fans from one side to the other, was really just referring to the pocket of tickets that are allotted to the visiting team. I wouldn't expect them to try and move any Gopher season ticket holders only the visiting teams allotment, but that might also be more trouble then it is worth.

If the forecast for Saturday holds it is going to be sunny, windy, and cold at game time. In that situation I would rather be on the sunny side of the field as opposed to the shaded side as a fan or player as it will be significantly warmer over there most likely.

In terms of flipping fans from one side to the other, was really just referring to the pocket of tickets that are allotted to the visiting team. I wouldn't expect them to try and move any Gopher season ticket holders only the visiting teams allotment, but that might also be more trouble then it is worth.

If the forecast for Saturday holds it is going to be sunny, windy, and cold at game time. In that situation I would rather be on the sunny side of the field as opposed to the shaded side as a fan or player as it will be significantly warmer over there most likely.

Our season ticket base is likely at an all time low for TCF Bank Stadium. I'm assuming there is plenty of space for people to move around if needed.

The team should really just change sides when needed or wanted. We'll see how the fans and team likes the sun on an 80-90 degree day.

This reminds me of the rocket scientist that was sitting next to us in the shade during a cold game last year. The quote that made my head hurt was when she turned to her friend and said, "Why didn't they build the stadium so that the whole thing was in the sun."

This reminds me of the rocket scientist that was sitting next to us in the shade during a cold game last year. The quote that made my head hurt was when she turned to her friend and said, "Why didn't they build the stadium so that the whole thing was in the sun."

Well if they just had built it on a gimbal.....

When it gets colder.... how many games is it also sunny over on the other side?

I prefer the dark side....

Things are all coming around my way now....

80-90

Our season ticket base is likely at an all time low for TCF Bank Stadium. I'm assuming there is plenty of space for people to move around if needed.

The team should really just change sides when needed or wanted. We'll see how the fans and team likes the sun on an 80-90 degree day.

I have sat on the sunny side since TCF opened (5 yd line / open end). There has only been 1 day game where I was uncomfortable sitting in the sun, when they played Cal.

The night game vs UNLV was also toasty, but after sunset so it did not matter.

There must have been at least 12 games (4 this year) that it was awesome to be in the sunshine as opposed to the shade.

I have sat on the sunny side since TCF opened (5 yd line / open end). There has only been 1 day game where I was uncomfortable sitting in the sun, when they played Cal.

There must have been at least 12 games (4 this year) that it was awesome to be in the sunshine as opposed to the shade.

That sounds about right. Don't remember all the Vikings fans complaining about their team picking the "sunny side" either.

Ditto.

New Mexico St. in 2011 on the sunny side was what I imagine Hell to be like.

How did TC not think of this sooner and since he didn't he needs to be fired

Top Bottom